Mazda shims for "cowl creak"

Mark787B

:
2016 6 - pending
I ordered the shims to cure what the 3 owners have been calling "cowl creak"; if anybody else is considering them-- don't bother. All I received are one-inch strips of some thin fiberous tape, rubber mastic tape will likely work better for less.

I'm not looking forward to pulling the wiper arms to tackle this but can't stand that just-bought-a-Kia feeling that I've been having...

Well, I tackled this today insofar as I made educated guesses where two surfaces might rub together and cause creaking sounds. If I've cured it, I'll post pics.

I did not pull the wipers, rather I separated the cowl into two pieces. I noted a sort of well that is held onto the passenger side portion and applied a few of the tape pieces in strategic places on that piece too, We shall see...

Did your fix cure it? I've got the same problem on mine that seems to be getting worse as the car gets older and "loosens up".

You know, I think I did. I'll post pics of what I did though I confess to no specific, scientific approach. Now, on to the incessant vibration...

Please do post pics. I'm interested in how you got the cowl off and where you put the tape. I'm hoping my vibration issues dissipate when I get new tires (no more Toyos). Thanks.

I spoke too soon; I don't think my tape application helped at all. I'll post over on the 3 forum to determine where exactly Mazda recommends adding the stuff (something I should have done in the first place). My guess now is that the creaking sound occurs where the cowl meets the glass however I wonder if any of the sounds I hear originate from inside the cabin where the dash meets the windshield.

As for the Toyos, I'll be hitting up a Toyo dealer first thing Monday. If they haven't "smoothed out" in 700 miles, they never will....

My 08 does it more than my 06 when weather is cold (scratch), but I think I live with it now

I googled the term and interestingly enough it is not just Mazda the one with this issue, here are some others:
- Infiniti G35
- Civic (Euro)
- Lexus (07 GS)

Damn JDMs :D

Funny stuff... For my sanity I have to take at least one more stab at this, those creaking sounds really make the 5 seem cheesy-- and it's a new car!

I've got a couple of other rattles underneath, must be a Friday afternoon car though I thought that only applied to domestics...

I had the dealership take care of this and a headliner vibration when I went in for a discounted 5000 mile service & tire rotation two months ago. Unfortunately, the cowl creak has returned with a vengeance and it can't be associated with cold weather this time. It's annoying, but I'll probably wait until the 10000 mile service to have it done....again.

I had the dealership take care of this and a headliner vibration when I went in for a discounted 5000 mile service & tire rotation two months ago. Unfortunately, the cowl creak has returned with a vengeance and it can't be associated with cold weather this time. It's annoying, but I'll probably wait until the 10000 mile service to have it done....again.

Did the service manager happen to mention what they did specifically to take care of the creak?

Did the service manager happen to mention what they did specifically to take care of the creak?

The tech said he tightened a bolt and added some shims, I think. The original creak only occurred when it was really cold, and it stopped for a while after this fix. Now it's happening every time I hit a bump. I can also reproduce the sound by knocking on the middle of the cowl. It's annoying and unacceptable, but not surprising given the snap-on plastic parts they use on cars at this price point. There are other occasional rattles and vibrations I've recently noticed coming from the rear door panels. I'll have those addressed next time, too.

Thanks; I'll be more thorough the next time I tackle this. The joint between the two cowl pieces does appear to be one source of the racket. This nonsense has to take a back seat to my stereo installation however...

Back