Mazda Service “inconsistencies”

Hey guys, I know Dealerships are independently owned but I was pretty pissed bu the way I was treated today. Setup an appt for oil change and advised I would be brining my own full-syn oil. They said sure and would charge labor and filter (we did it this way last time with no issues. Notes were made accordingly in the service history). I get there to start and the service dept manager says no way. His reason is: “its a liability to the dealer if my supplied oil creates an issue later, that he would be on the hook for.”

Confused I say we’ve already done it and it was ok when I booked over th phone. He shrugged and said yea should never have happened. Regarding his liability concern I showed him the full syn blend matches the grade/wt specified in the manual. He says it doesn’t matter because I could bring in contaminated oil which he can’t verify. My oil was new and in the box mind you. He would not accept my signing a waiver either. So I asked if he would discount his $79.99 cost if I went his way, since mine only cost $25 at Costco (their $79.99 is for a conv/syn blend by the way). No dice. I left and got my service done elsewhere. Am I outta line here? This can’t be a Mazda mandate since a nearby dealer still did it no questions asked. I feel he just didn’t want to lose out on making money of of selling me oil.

Maybe the guy got burned once by another customer and didn't want to take a chance.
It's far fetched, but I could see an unscrupulous customer coming in with a car that has a pre-existing condition, (unknown to the dealer), that wants to get it fixed for free.
He brings in his own oil (maybe he swapped it out first for some bad stuff), gets his car serviced, and then comes back in a week and tries to blame the dealer for screwing up his car.

Either that or like you say, the manager doesn't want to lose out on a little extra money because he might not make his monthly quota, and miss out on his bonus.

To be fair, the dealer is somewhat right. Not in how it was handled, based on your story, but in the liability. If something did happen to your car for any reason after the oil change, it can be claimed that the oil you provided could have caused it. I am not completely sure how binding that is, siting the Magnuson-Moss Act that protects the consumer in that situation.

In general, for those who come across this and as for a reality check for people who don't now better: Any company is out to give you as little as possible. They will also do as little as possible without looking like they are. So if something they do gets messed up, they have to make good with it or face bad press. This loses them money in the long run.

To be fair, the dealer is somewhat right. Not in how it was handled, based on your story, but in the liability. If something did happen to your car for any reason after the oil change, it can be claimed that the oil you provided could have caused it. I am not completely sure how binding that is, siting the Magnuson-Moss Act that protects the consumer in that situation.

In general, for those who come across this and as for a reality check for people who don't now better: Any company is out to give you as little as possible. They will also do as little as possible without looking like they are. So if something they do gets messed up, they have to make good with it or face bad press. This loses them money in the long run.

I don't expect any dealer or organization to accept MY stuff to install because they are in busniess. There is the issue of liability as mentioned but, they also receive money for the oil they sell to you. I feel I would be asking a big favor that would cost the dealer. You probably could find some independent or shade tree to do it for you. Ed

Back