Mazda Large Product Technology Forum

:
'17, Mazda 6 GT
For all the Mazda nerds, including me :D, I came across these videos that represent their new large architecture. Some of them, refer only to the Inline Six Diesel with mild hybrid technology, however I think this is really interesting information, regarding their technology, powertrain, platform, electrification, etc.

1. Large product technology - Strategy

2. Large product technology - Powertrain

3. Large product technology - Platform

4. Add-on: MAZDA CX-60 M HYBRID BOOST with e-SKYACTIV D

I am personally excited about the upcoming year, so let’s see how everything will unfold.

@sm1ke I would make this a sticky, for people who want to refer to this information later on.

I'm most interested in the CX-70.

Ideally it would be a 2nd Gen CX-5 with a plug in hybrid, higher towing capacity. Not lower seat position, and not much bigger.

I'm hoping it isn't just a 5-seater CX-90. I don't need big and heavy, don't want lower to the ground or better off road features, and think the CX-60 looks much worse than the CX-5 and CX-50 both, at least in pictures. Also don't need or want a panoramic sun roof.

Maybe what I'm hoping for is a 3rd gen CX-5.

Mazda announced the CX-60 for Australia and surprisingly they are also getting an inline-6 Turbo. The specs are a bit less than that what I expected for this type of engine (280hp/330lbft). I presume this is what the CX-70/90 will be getting.

Two newly developed straight-six engines featuring M Hybrid Boost technology – Mazda’s 48V mild hybrid system – will also debut on Mazda CX-60.

The first is a 3.3-litre e-Skyactiv D turbodiesel, producing 187 kW at 3,750rpm and a substantial 550 Nm of torque between 1,500 and 2,400rpm.

Alternatively, a high-powered turbocharged petrol unit is available, again with a 3.3-litre capacity, delivering 209 kW at 5,000rpm and 450 Nm of torque from 2,000 to 3,500rpm.

Mazda announced the CX-60 for Australia and surprisingly they are also getting an inline-6 Turbo. The specs are a bit less than that what I expected for this type of engine (280hp/330lbft). I presume this is what the CX-70/90 will be getting.

This does not make any sense. First of all it was widely published that they're inline six petrol engines will be 3.0 l. Second, in 2022 you cannot have a 3.0l or 3.3l turbocharged six cilinder with 280hp. That is natural aspirated six cilinder power. It has been rumored that the skyactiv-x six cilinder will have 280hp since it uses a supercharger and you cannot really turb9charge it.

Something is really off in that statement.

Later edit: seems like the engine is going to be a detune version of what we are getting in north america, probably for emission purpose. Still, why a 3.3l and not a 3.0l. If they are coming here with such a bif displacement and under 350hp is going to be a big fail.

Last edited:
The 3.3l size is definitely a surprise as this the same as the Diesel engine. I am concerned that this this will be based off of the Diesel engine which has a bore/stroke that is designed for more lower torque rather than HP.

I doubt the US specs will be much different so this won’t provide much benefit over the existing 2.5l while adding more weight and complexity.

Indeed, its weird. Have a feeling that current turbo 2.5l which is mounted transverse won't be available on the cx70 and cx90 so this one might make sense.
I am also thinking they might pull a bmw move like the one for supra, first year was 330hp than second year they bump it yo 384hp.
Either way, here is going to have more power than in Australia.

I’m going on the assumption those 3.3L and 280hp figures are both false. Neither make sense, and certainly not both in the same sentence.

I’m going on the assumption those 3.3L and 280hp figures are both false. Neither make sense, and certainly not both in the same sentence.
That would have been nice however, that's an actual Mazda press release. Have a feeling that something went wrong between the last presentation with 3.0l inline sixes and this announcement. Maybe something went awfully wrong with they're newly developed inline six and they decided on the fly to switch to the old one configuration, add 2 extra cylinders and mounted longitudinal.

That would have been nice however, that's an actual Mazda press release. Have a feeling that something went wrong between the last presentation with 3.0l inline sixes and this announcement. Maybe something went awfully wrong with they're newly developed inline six and they decided on the fly to switch to the old one configuration, add 2 extra cylinders and mounted longitudinal.
Nothing has changed since they announced the 3.0 inline six. That is still planned for Europe as a Skyactiv engine without a turbo. I think we and the media assumed the US turbo would be based off of the 3.0 engine and not the 3.3l Diesel. Mazda never said that the Turbo engine would be 3.0l.

Well, we assumed corectly, because there is a reason for 3.0l displacements especially for inline six engines. Choosing such a big displacement it's such a poor decision by Mazda, especially for the numbers that were mentioned in the press release.

It will ptobably be another suv engine tuned for low end torque, similar to the current 2.5 turbo, albeit with six cylinders. That doesn't scream premium to me and that' s why they will never be in the same league as bmw, etc.
They're R&D sucks and they're decisions are questionable.

Last edited:
Well, we assumed corectly, because there is a reason for 3.0l displacements especially for inline six engines. Choosing such a big displacement it's such a poor decision by Mazda, especially for the numbers that were mentioned in the press release.

It will ptobably be another suv engine tuned for low end torque, similar to the current 2.5 turbo, albeit with six cylinders. That doesn't scream premium to me and that' s why they will never be in the same league as bmw, etc.
They're R&D sucks and they're decisions are questionable.
I hope this is all wrong. I was really looking forward to this engine.

This does not make any sense. First of all it was widely published that they're inline six petrol engines will be 3.0 l. Second, in 2022 you cannot have a 3.0l or 3.3l turbocharged six cilinder with 280hp. That is natural aspirated six cilinder power. It has been rumored that the skyactiv-x six cilinder will have 280hp since it uses a supercharger and you cannot really turb9charge it.

Something is really off in that statement.

Later edit: seems like the engine is going to be a detune version of what we are getting in north america, probably for emission purpose. Still, why a 3.3l and not a 3.0l. If they are coming here with such a bif displacement and under 350hp is going to be a big fail.
For comparison, Kia’s 3.3L turbo V-6 is making 368hp/376tq.

For comparison, Kia’s 3.3L turbo V-6 is making 368hp/376tq.

And their 2.5T makes 300 hp and 311. If Mazda is competing with the MDX, they are going to be in trouble with this. Their v6 makes 290 hp and their turbo is 355.

The failure of the Sky-X to be used in the USA, the development of high displacement gas powered engines in the era of $5-10/gallon gas will not help Mazda in the decades to come.

There are reports that are starting to clarify the information on the 3.3 I6 engine:

Last edited:
BMW’s B58 engine has a single turbo and it’s underrated at 382hp(probably closer to 420hp). 3.0L turbo inline-6 with a 48v mild hybrid. I was hoping Mazda’s would be a budget version of that with hp in the 350 range.

BMW’s B58 engine has a single turbo and it’s underrated at 382hp(probably closer to 420hp). 3.0L turbo inline-6 with a 48v mild hybrid. I was hoping Mazda’s would be a budget version of that with hp in the 350 range.

The link I gave above is now stating that the Australian I6 is a de-tuned version of the engine to meet emissions requirements in Australia.

The HP and Torque of the I6, if it is the top end model, will have to be higher than the 2.5/Hybrid engine.

I am not sure if the I6 will be the top end model. They might market it the opposite way, like how the plug-in hybrid version is the top end model with the higher power in the Toyota RAV 4.

Back