Mazda Heated Seats

RolandTD4S

:
2010 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Hey guys,

I just recently traded in my 2010 Mazda3 and got a CX-9 (I wanted the AWD and more space) and noticed that the heated seats didn't work as effectively as the Mazda3. When I turned on the seat warmers in the Mazda3to even a level as low as 2, it warmed up quickly and pretty much practically toasted my ass. When I tried the seat warmers in the CX-9, even at their max level (which is only level 2), it took longer to heat up and still wasn't as warm as how it was on the Mazda3. Am I right to assume that they will take longer to heat up because the seats are larger, and possibly won't heat up as much?

Happy Holidays, fellas.

In my 2007, the seat heaters are slow to get toasty. The seat heaters in my Buick Regal I had before the CX-9 got hot fast.

In my 2008 it's a little slow to heat up, but once it does it's warm enough for me, almost too hot and we only have one setting, on.

Same here...slow to warm, but once it gets there it's good. I'd say it takes at least 30 sec, perhaps longer before I notice anything.

Heated Seat Issues

Now wait a minute fellas, do you mean to say that some models actually have multi-levels of heat? Mine are just on or off, that is it! When they are on they get almost hot and have to be cancelled out or you burn your own
seat! My wife just loves them because her .ss is always cold!

Now wait a minute fellas, do you mean to say that some models actually have multi-levels of heat? Mine are just on or off, that is it! When they are on they get almost hot and have to be cancelled out or you burn your own
seat! My wife just loves them because her .ss is always cold!

2010 has 2 levels.

Any hotter and you start discoloring the leather. Also, it's not a good idea to externally heat your body for extended periods, as with spas or electric blankets. That may actually be one reason most car makers don't offer heated seats in the back, since children are more likely to sit there.

Just curious as to why it is not a good idea to externally heat your body, and I guess, define "extended periods"? I think we could all agree that heating your skin for 2-3 hrs is not a good idea, but most of us I would safely conclude 20-30 minutes is the max we use the s-warmers, and that is after you turn it off and still use the latent heat.

I am going to chime in on this one by saying perhaps externally heating your gluteous maximus area whether it is seat warmers or any other heated/hot area is not a good idea because if used frequently and even for 20-30 minutes at a time you can irritate yourself and have a case of hemoroids...as funny as it sounds it is true and plausible.

Just got a 2010 CX-9 also. On low and high I can't tell if they even work. My 2007 Mazda 6S had one setting for seat warmers and they would get kickin quick and you would usually have to turn them off after the regular heater started working. I may take my CX-9 back to the dealer to see if something is wrong with mine. I should be able to know if they are on or not. I could probably leave these on high all year and not even know (other than the little light on the dash).

Like other places lately, it's been cold here - in the single digits. On the way back from running errands the other day I turned the seat warmer on to double check and I would say it took well over a minute before I really noticed anything. However, after that point, I can't leave it on for more than 5 minutes or so before I felt like my rear was on fire (2009 with just the one setting, no low/high). Other than taking a bit of time to get going, I'm fine with manually turning the thing off when it gets too hot.

This is something I learned as a pool and spa chemist. For spas or saunas the temp should not exceed 104, and the time in should be 15 minutes maximum.

Direct heat applied to larger areas can disrupt your natural temperature regulation. In children, you can actually cause the hypothalmus to not develop properly, affecting their ability to regulate temperature for the rest of their life.

Helping warm up on very cold days is fine, but I would not leave them on longer than 10 minutes. (I don't know what the timer is on the CX9). It's intended to augment the air heat only. I also recommend never using electric blankets, other than prewarming a bed and turning it off when you get in.

The other problem in cars is being warm enough to make you sweat through your clothes, staining the leather.

The reason this isn't a problem for most people in hot regions is that the surrounding air allows for natural evaporation to cool the body.

And yes, heating your A$$ can cause hemorrhoids and other irritations.

I guess I'm the only one up here in the cold northeast that likes a warm A$$, doesn't get too hot by these lame heaters (that toggle on and off) and has no hemorrhoids or irritations (beyond my wifes driving instructions) when driving my car.

SeCX9,

IMHO, I think you nailed it perfectly.

While there seems to be some logical merit here, there is an immense difference from momentarily [5-20 minutes] heating your "arse" through your clothes via a seat warmer than completely heating your entire body via spa's, sauna's, jaccuzi's, hot-tubs, etc.

MD's and PT's suggest either 15-20 minutes of ice and/or heat during injuries. I can attest to using both for yrs regarding many types of injuries and for proactive purposes.

To conclude, moderation and common-sense is key. I would much rather have someone heating their simple squamous a bit longer than they should as opposed to being cut-off by rude drivers that have perfectly cool butts due to no heaters.

Post, back on track.

Regards,
tstex

PS - I have always been amazed at why hemmoroids and asteroids have not had their definitions reversed.

heated seats causing battery drain

Hey, I thought I'd post here...there is a TSB out about the heated seats in the 2010 CX-9 causing battery drain. My 7 day old car was completely dead this morning, and couldn't be easily jumped. Long story short, the dealer disconnected the seat heaters until Mazda comes up with a fix. Not a good way to start a relationship with Mazda!

YvonneBP,

Sorry to hear this news.

Since there is a TSB on this issue, I would assume more than 1 CX9 2010 has had this problem. Did Mazda give you any insight as to what may have caused this problem? Did they replace your battery?

To CX9 2009 owners [or other yrs], have any of you experienced any problems as just mentioned? I have just now started using my seat warmers with sub-freezing in SW TX...

I am not an electronics expert, but I would assume something is shorting the connection somewhere from the seat by either being grounded or a circuit [switch] is not disconnecting when visually being turned off. Hopefully this is just a few isolated incidences and Mazda has a quick fix for you.

Welcome to the boards and sorry about your initial experience with your car...really though, your relationship will just now be determined by how this is resolved for you.

Good luck,
tstex

Last edited:
Not a problem with the 2008s and I haven't heard it being a problem on any other year.

I had the same problem with my 2010 GT the day after I got it. The seat heaters drained the battery overnight. The dealer disconnected the seat heaters until Mazda comes up with a fix.

tstex,
I DO love my new CX-9, and the dealer was very responsive to the problem so far. Unfortunately, I didn't ask, and the service mgr. didn't give me any details about what is causing the problem. Although the seat heaters aren't "required", it is something I paid for, and could be enjoying right now.

I wonder how long this fix will take, and if there will be any consideration given for the inconvenience? They shouldn't be sellling new cars with known problems without disclosing it in advance to prospective buyers. I'm glad I found these forums, and thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far!

The wife likes the seats in my Speed6 better since they seem to heat up faster and get warmer than those in her '08 CX-9.

In my 08' I found that the seat heaters get warm quicker if my main heater is set on a higher setting than normal (80+ deg). My body tends to run much warmer than my wife does so I usually don't run the heat much more than 75~72deg in the mornings in the NW area of the country during wintertime.

I did notice if I set the heater at least at 80+deg first thing and then turn on the seat warmers they heat up much quicker that if the heater was set to run 10deg cooler. Not sure if this is by design, but it works on my 08' time and time again. Otherwise it takes pretty long and they don't get all that warm. Crank the heat up and they get toasty for a while then shut off for awhile the kick back on periodically.

Anyone else notice this?

Back