Mazda emblem on steering wheel peeling

:
2013 Mazda CX-5, 2.0 Manual Transmission, 1989 Mazda MX-6
Just noticed my emblem is peeling on my steering wheel. Guess I will peel the rest off. Does anyone know how to remove the emblem. I would like to take it off and paint it black. I don't like the silver away. When the sun hits it I get a glare.

Attachments

• IMG_3276.JPG
    IMG_3276.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,989
I dont know. I just saw it yesterday. I don't any cleaners on my steering wheel. Just wipe clean with a damp microfiber towel. Then a dry one. Maybe the hot long summers in Houston. The rest of the steering wheel is still perfect.
Just not sure how to pry it off so I can paint it.
Or if anyone has any ideas on what to do with it.

Last edited:
I would guess it's secured by double-sided tape. Have you tried lifting it in one spot and prying it off?

I have not tried that. Don't want to mess things up till I know for sure what works. My internet searching for other mazda cars tell me people just tape around the wheel, and then paint.

My guess would be some solvent got on it. Ever wear mosquito repellent with DEET? It will easily damage finishes just by touch.

No mosquito repellent with deet. I have not used any solvents in the car. At worst I used glass cleaner on the windows. The rest has alway been a soft damp microfiber towel. After cleaning I have used 303 protectant inside the car.

Are you still under warranty? They will replace that for free if so.

And the emblem cannot be removed on it's own, it requires a complete replacement of the airbag module.

No mosquito repellent with deet. I have not used any solvents in the car. At worst I used glass cleaner on the windows. The rest has alway been a soft damp microfiber towel. After cleaning I have used 303 protectant inside the car.

My next guess would be someone, possibly a tech working on the vehicle, wiped it with a rag that had a solvent on it instead of a cleaning rag. May have gotten the wheel dirty, went to clean it, used a contaminated rag. Houston's hot but there's hotter places on earth...

No warrantee left. But when I get to it I will get all the chrome off and paint it black. Think I will like it better than the silver.

They will have made damn sure that doesn't fly off if the airbag inflates so expect that to be well stuck. I think I'd look for another airbag from a scrapper or settle for painting it.

Old post but finally getting around to fixing this, because I now have the car for sale. I will go to the autoparts store and get some spray paint for plastic.
What kind of black paint should I get. Satin, semi gloss, flat, and I don't know what else.

looking for a black that would be similar to the finish on the tcs off button

I scrapped off as much chrome as I could with a plastic razor.

I went with black satin. Here is the best I could do since you cannot remove the emblem from the steering wheel. Not perfect, but better than before.

Attachments

• IMG_4921.JPG
    IMG_4921.JPG
    663.1 KB · Views: 1,891
  • IMG_4923.JPG
    IMG_4923.JPG
    676.9 KB · Views: 1,877
Back