Mazda Door Video

I saw that video, I must say, it is very nice video. I can see why this car is so popular in Asia and Europe. I see more and more Mazda5's on the road now, which is good because then Mazda will continue to improve the good thing. Maybe the next version coming to U.S. will have powered doors and rear gate as an option - maybe even Navigation. German version already has powered slide out doors and headlamp washers. Not to mention the fender mounted side markers.

German version already has powered slide out doors and headlamp washers. Not to mention the fender mounted side markers.

I'm not sure those options will happen for North America, namely because Americans won't pay $$$ for power accessories on a what is generally considered a compact segment vehicle. Case-in-point: The N.A.-only "new" Jetta...it's a completely different vehicle than what you get in Europe. We get an ancient engine, an uninspired chassis, a "decontented" cabin and lesser-quality interior materials...yet they're selling like hot-cakes thanks to a competitive pricing strategy. Apparently it took five generations of the Jetta for VW to figure out our market: Whereas Europeans link "value" to content and finish, Americans & Canadians link "value" to MSRP. Mind you I'm not making judgments about which strategy is better, but this analogy lends itself to the argument that Mazda will not build European-optioned $25K+ Mazda5's for North America.

On a side note, Ford's decision not to sell the C-Max here follows a similar line of thinking: FoMoCo did not want to eliminate the power sliding doors, power rear lift gate, back up sensors/cam, NAV system and other options that are either standard equipment or commonly ordered w/the C-Max just to appease budget-minded Americans/Canadians. And that's really too bad, as competition in the Mazda5 segment (whatever that is, technically) would have been a good thing for everyone.

Whats interesting is, though the 2012 5 is polarizing in design, here in LA I am seeing a lot of them, compared to the old ones when those were new. I know sales numbers are reflecting it, but the 5 doesn't seem as unique anymore :D

There's a series on youtube called Mazda Story, I think. Very nice clips with managers, designers and engineers talking about the Mazda way of developing cars. Those guys kick ass in a very Japanese understated way.
I haven't seen many 2012 5's up here in the bay area - probably 3 since they came out. I saw a white one that wasn't very attractive under a coat of dirt. Spotted a red one on the twisty route 50 to Tahoe - it easily out paced my Odyssey. Given that I was driving like a grandpa in the Odyssey, still it surprised me how effortless it looked around the curves. That's the first time I ever actually noticed the existence of the 5. Then the manual transmission and the enthusiasm I found on this forum put the final nail to it.

I finally found this thread and this video, it was great! Loved the comparison with the Shoji sliding door. The door just feels so right that you don't feel any need to stick a motor in it.

My coworker just bought a Jetta with 5 cylinder engine (no turbo) and it came with a rear drum brakes.. yuck! I thought drum brakes went out with the 90's? Am I crazy or are they making a comeback? Just kidding, but I would never buy a car with drum brakes, bringing back memories of the 80's when mere stopping was a chore.
I'm not sure those options will happen for North America, namely because Americans won't pay $$$ for power accessories on a what is generally considered a compact segment vehicle. Case-in-point: The N.A.-only "new" Jetta...it's a completely different vehicle than what you get in Europe. We get an ancient engine, an uninspired chassis, a "decontented" cabin and lesser-quality interior materials...yet they're selling like hot-cakes thanks to a competitive pricing strategy. Apparently it took five generations of the Jetta for VW to figure out our market: Whereas Europeans link "value" to content and finish, Americans & Canadians link "value" to MSRP. Mind you I'm not making judgments about which strategy is better, but this analogy lends itself to the argument that Mazda will not build European-optioned $25K+ Mazda5's for North America.

On a side note, Ford's decision not to sell the C-Max here follows a similar line of thinking: FoMoCo did not want to eliminate the power sliding doors, power rear lift gate, back up sensors/cam, NAV system and other options that are either standard equipment or commonly ordered w/the C-Max just to appease budget-minded Americans/Canadians. And that's really too bad, as competition in the Mazda5 segment (whatever that is, technically) would have been a good thing for everyone.

Back