Mazda CX-90 Turbo Premium Plus vs Honda Pilot Elite

Yeah, it’s definitely smaller inside than the average 3-row SUV. You could check out the Pilot Trailsport, maybe that would be more your style

If space is a primary concern, the Pilot is going to win out.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the CX-90 for the first year or two. All new engine, all new transmission, all new hybrid system from a manufacturer that's designed two flawed engines in recent memory is not a gamble I would take.
Based on your logic, and the head issue of the CX9, you should avoid the CX90 for the first 5 years :)

I have always been partial to Hondas and I bought a Pilot in its very first year (2003). I drove that sucker 20 years and 387,000 miles! Best car I ever had. Finally it developed some engine issues and I looked to replace it. I drove the new Pilot, but for me, even with my Honda attachment, it didn't compete with the CX-90.

I don't need tons of power and I have a 12 mile round trip work commute, so I got the CX-90 PHEV Premium, in soul red. Beautiful color, byt the way. I just picked it up last night, though I had a loaner CX-90 in the artisan red (Burgundy) for the past 3 days while mine was arriving and being prepped. So far I love it.

I don't think you can go wrong with either car though. The Pilot has a little more interior cargo space, for sure, but IMO Honda hasn't modernized the interior for the Pilot yet to the same extent that many of their competitors in the 3-row SUV field have done. They also need a hybrid in that segment. If the 2023 Pilot were a hydrid I probably would have stayed in the Honda family. They did a 2023 redesign but it seems mostly cosmetic, getting boxier.

Last edited:
What do you think? Mazda CX-90 Turbo Premium Plus vs Honda Pilot Elite…

i’ve been anxiously awaiting the Mazda, especially the high output turbo version but feature packaging and color combinations have me looking at the base turbo engine. At that price point, ~ $54K USD, the new Pilot Elite has caught my attention.

Drivetrain
CX90, inline 6 + 8sp auto, RWD biased AWD, 280hp / 332torque
Pilot, New V6 + 10sp auto, AWD w/ rear torque vectoring and up to 75% power to rear, 285hp / 262torque

Driving reviews for the Mazda are not out yet, but the limited comments have been favorable (embargo on detailed reviews yet). I’m sure overall with its double wishbone suspension and Kinematic Posture Control the handling will be amazing. But the reviews I’ve read of the Pilot have been been pretty amazing as well. The rear wheel torque vectoring seems to be really good. I was watching a savagegeese review and from a stand still, they would turn the steering wheel at an intersection and hit the gas. The car didn’t spin its wheels and just hooked up and went. The iVTM seemed to do a good job at using the rear wheels to enhance performance. Looks pretty promising.

Styling
Always subjective. I like the Mazda but the lines on the new Pilot are really good, especially at the front. Long, tall hood, and more of a rugged truck like appearance. Ironically, I think I like it because it reminds me more of the Mazda CX 50 than anything. I was hoping the CX 90 would have more of the squared off lines that the 50 does. No doubt the Mazda interior will be a class above in quality with a much more upscale look. I like that you can get the Pilot interior with black or brown leather. Not quite as refined looking as the Mazda but it’s not bad. I would cough up the $60K+ for the Turbo S but the Prem Plus light and tan/orange interiors are a deal breaker. The Pilot offers perforated gray, black, or brown depending on the exterior color.

Availability for both models is limited right now. There are some Pilots out there but not a ton. Looking forward to driving both.

Features
They both have full digital instrument cluster, heated seats front and rear, front ventilated, Bose Centerpoint, pano roof, HUD, 360 cameras and more. The Pilot adds outside dimming mirrors and 8 passenger seating. And the Pilot has a neat hat trick to change the rear bench into two captains chairs. Plus overall space and storage is better that’s what grew in the Pilot. Hasn’t been an issue for me in my current CX 9 but would be a bonus. Pilot also has remote start **on the key fob**.
That's a good point on remote start on key fob. My cx5 turbo 2021.5 has remote start in phone App only, which expires after 2 years. Then i have to pay Mazda $650 to renew the App service for another 3 years. No thanks Mazda. I will look at Honda Pilot or Lexus 370.

i am sure you can easily install a remote start that uses the mazda keyfob for 300-500$. That’s what people were doing on the CX-9. I wouldn’t choose my car model based on the presence or not of factory remote start.

If space is a primary concern, the Pilot is going to win out.

Personally, I'd steer clear of the CX-90 for the first year or two. All new engine, all new transmission, all new hybrid system from a manufacturer that's designed two flawed engines in recent memory is not a gamble I would take.
Not what you'd expect to hear, but my service manager said nearly the same to me when I was there to pick up my CX-5 from routine maintenance. We're considering a CX-90 to replace my wife's aging Honda Odyssey but the service manager said that he'd wait a couple of years on this one until all the bugs were worked out.

Back