Mazda CX-50

I think in some way, shape, or form, Mazda will finally bring a version of the CX-4 to the US. Before Mazda made the crossover'd Mazda3 (CX-30), it made a crossover'd Mazda6 (CX-4) for the Chinese market.

Good point...There's the CX-4...I wonder if Mazda will bring that model to other markets with a different name? It's already established as the CX-4 in China so it would seem unlikely that they would change the name (for the Chinese market) at this point.

Given all these possibilities, I'm less certain than I was before as to what Mazda's future lineup will be...Will we see a CX-50 added to the lineup or replacing the CX-5? Will the CX-5 become the CX-60 (or will a CX-60 be added)?

The CX-5 is currently Mazda's "bread and butter", would they risk changing the model name at this point?

I've got more questions than answers now...:LOL:

When will there be some “serious” intelligence on what’s coming? I had Acuras for many years and there were constantly spy shots and leaked reports. Maybe Mazda is better at keeping things secret?

I still think a CX70 2 row of seats with more storage that the CX5 would sell. I think the CX3 and 30 handle the smaller segment and a CX4 or 40 would be confusing as they try to fit it between the CX30 and CX 5. Can't be that much difference in size between a 30 and 40 and 40 and 50.

The SUV shown is the pictures, to me, is so unlike Mazda...it looks like a plain Jane SUV with no classy lines. So unlike Mazda...I would never buy it.

Last edited:
when will there be some “serious” intelligence on what’s coming? I had Acuras for many years and there were constantly spy shots and leaked reports. Maybe Mazda is better at keeping things secret?
My 2 cents is that they will introduce (reveal) at least one new model in 2021 as a 2022 model. Its either going to be the cx5 or the new 6.

Most likely you will never going to see spy shots fron Mazda, as the only model who had spy shots was the all new 3 and that one basically happened couple days before reveal

My 2 cents is that they will introduce (reveal) at least one new model in 2021 as a 2022 model. Its either going to be the cx5 or the new 6.

Most likely you will never going to see spy shots fron Mazda, as the only model who had spy shots was the all new 3 and that one basically happened couple days before reveal
Last that was heard from Mazda's CEO about this was that the launch of the new RWD platform had been pushed back to 2023 (assumed to mean 2023 model year). IIRC, they decided they needed more development time to design a platform better suited to future hybrid/EV drivetrains, as well as the new longitudinal gas/mild-hybrid and diesel engines already planned (which BTW very probably means new transmission(s) too, so I'm counting on at least an 8-spd auto next time around).

From what I've read, both outright and speculative (plus reading "between the lines"), I think the most likely scenario for the SUV line in North America will be all new RWD biased CX-50 and CX-90 replacing the CX-5 and CX-9, respectively, as 2023 MY's.

And while things certainly could have changed, Mazda was pretty clear when the CX-4 was introduced for China that it will not be offered (implied "ever") in other markets. It appears to me the CX-30 was/is our surrogate.

I'm guessing the CX-30 will continue on the current FWD platform into the foreseeable future. And I'm betting we won't even see a facelift until the 2024 MY, due to resources being allocated to CX-50 & CX-90 development in the meantime. I do wonder about the fate of the CX-3 though. Hard to guess on that, but maybe a revamped version appears as a CX-10 or CX-20 at some point - or they might decide it no longer fits the new "premium" image - ???

I'm sure Mazda has reserved all the badging permutations for possible use down the road, but personally I'd find it unlikely to see something like a "CX-70" wedged between the CX-50 and CX-90 in the US/Canada market unless and until the brand makes some great leaps forward in total sales volume here.

Just my 2¢... and worth every penny you paid for it!

Excellent comments everyone, thanks for the thoughts...What does everyone think about the possibility of a CX-60 existing in the future?

Thought I read somewhere (here?) that it's possible there could be a "coupe" version of the CX-5/CX-50 and that would be the CX-60. Thoughts?

Last that was heard from Mazda's CEO about this was that the launch of the new RWD platform had been pushed back to 2023 (assumed to mean 2023 model year). IIRC, they decided they needed more development time to design a platform better suited to future hybrid/EV drivetrains, as well as the new longitudinal gas/mild-hybrid and diesel engines already planned (which BTW very probably means new transmission(s) too, so I'm counting on at least an 8-spd auto next time around).

From what I've read, both outright and speculative (plus reading "between the lines"), I think the most likely scenario for the SUV line in North America will be all new RWD biased CX-50 and CX-90 replacing the CX-5 and CX-9, respectively, as 2023 MY's.

And while things certainly could have changed, Mazda was pretty clear when the CX-4 was introduced for China that it will not be offered (implied "ever") in other markets. It appears to me the CX-30 was/is our surrogate.

I'm guessing the CX-30 will continue on the current FWD platform into the foreseeable future. And I'm betting we won't even see a facelift until the 2024 MY, due to resources being allocated to CX-50 & CX-90 development in the meantime. I do wonder about the fate of the CX-3 though. Hard to guess on that, but maybe a revamped version appears as a CX-10 or CX-20 at some point - or they might decide it no longer fits the new "premium" image - ???

I'm sure Mazda has reserved all the badging permutations for possible use down the road, but personally I'd find it unlikely to see something like a "CX-70" wedged between the CX-50 and CX-90 in the US/Canada market unless and until the brand makes some great leaps forward in total sales volume here.

Just my 2¢... and worth every penny you paid for it!
You are right and it allligns with my guess, reveal 2021, production 2022 as a 2023 model.
One thing about the 8 speed transmission. I am watching the Mazda american patents from time to time and they have been granted the patent and building process for the 8speed transmission in the last month. So it is coming, soon. Maybe we will see it first in the 3 and cx30 next year?
Excellent comments everyone, thanks for the thoughts...What does everyone think about the possibility of a CX-60 existing in the future?

Thought I read somewhere (here?) that it's possible there could be a "coupe" version of the CX-5/CX-50 and that would be the CX-60. Thoughts?
I think I read somewhere that the new cx50 is going to be a coupe variant of the cx5. Right now we are just playing the guessing game.

Is there a chance of a prototype reveal at a 2021 car show (assuming there are any car shows)?

I don't think the CX-50 will replace the CX-5 (like CX-30 not replacing CX3). They aim at diff segments in the market.

Next CX-5 will continue to use 2.5L or 2.5T. Maybe adding 48V mild hybrid.

CX-50 (and new Mazda6) will have a 3L inline-6 SkyactivX (no turbo, making 280+hp) + 48V mild hybrid for low-end torque, which does not help peak torque or horsepower.

Both will have a new 8-speed auto (revised version of current reliable 6-speed). Both will sit on TNGA_L (longer TNGA) platform from Toyota (current Mazda3 sits on TNGA platform already ... why the semi-trailing arm rear suspension).

I don't think the CX-50 will replace the CX-5 (like CX-30 not replacing CX3). They aim at diff segments in the market.

Next CX-5 will continue to use 2.5L or 2.5T. Maybe adding 48V mild hybrid.

CX-50 (and new Mazda6) will have a 3L inline-6 SkyactivX (no turbo, making 280+hp) + 48V mild hybrid for low-end torque, which does not help peak torque or horsepower.

Both will have a new 8-speed auto (revised version of current reliable 6-speed). Both will sit on TNGA_L (longer TNGA) platform from Toyota (current Mazda3 sits on TNGA platform already ... why the semi-trailing arm rear suspension).
Just for info, the 3 and CX-30 are NOT using the TNGA platform, it's using Mazda's own Skyactiv Vehicle Architecture platform (https://www.mazda.com/en/notification/20190325/). There's talk of the next Mazda2 being based on the Toyota Yaris and thus using the Toyota platform, but for now all Mazdas models are (as far as I know) using Mazda's own platforms.

Just for info, the 3 and CX-30 are NOT using the TNGA platform, it's using Mazda's own Skyactiv Vehicle Architecture platform (https://www.mazda.com/en/notification/20190325/). There's talk of the next Mazda2 being based on the Toyota Yaris and thus using the Toyota platform, but for now all Mazdas models are (as far as I know) using Mazda's own platforms.

Yeah, I thought the CX-3 was built on the Mazda 2 platform, a car which Toyota sells in the USA as the Yaris something or other.

When the news about the Alabama plant was released, they talked about a new joint vehicle between Toyota and Mazda. I am still wondering what that could be.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought the CX-30 was built on the Mazda 2 platform, a car which Toyota sells in the USA as the Yaris something or other.

When the news about the Alabama plant was released, they talked about a new joint vehicle between Toyota and Mazda. I am still wondering what that could be.
What you're probably thinking of, is the CX-3 using the 2 platform and the Yaris in the USA was based on the 2 (which is weird since they use their own platform on the Yaris in Europe and Japan).
And there's talk of Toyota (and maybe Lexus) using the new rwd platform and 6 cylinder in-line engine from Mazda.

What you're probably thinking of, is the CX-3 using the 2 platform and the Yaris in the USA was based on the 2 (which is weird since they use their own platform on the Yaris in Europe and Japan).
And there's talk of Toyota (and maybe Lexus) using the new rwd platform and 6 cylinder in-line engine from Mazda.

Yeah, I typed that in wrong. The Cx-3 is what I was thinking.

Since we’re assuming that there will be both a new CX-5 and a CX-50, I’m wondering what new features the 2023 CX-5 will offer? There obviously has to be a clear difference in the two models, but where does the CX-5 go next?
Also wonder about the Signature since it’s already in premium territory.

Seems like the first spy photos for a new generation of Mazda SUV are out. Report says that it might be the new CX50. It is quite big compared to the existing one but not that big considering its going to be RWD bias.

IMO the design looks really good and very BMW'esque like.

https://tflcar.com/2021/05/next-gen-mazda-cx-5-cx-50-spotted-news/

Nice find!

Based on the camo shots, I think it looks great! At first glance, it looks like it borrows heavily from the MX-30's design - specifically the front bumper and grille, the lower rear bumper's character lines and taillight shape, and the slightly more chunky plastic cladding.

For comparison:

CX-50_1.JPG

CX-50_3.JPG

MX-30_1.JPG

CX-50_2.JPG

MX-30_2.JPG

The bulge over the rear fenders (circled in green) might also suggest that this car is using the new FR platform.

That looks interesting and also big. Bigger than a CX-5 but smaller than a CX-9. What is the FR platform again?

That looks interesting and also big. Bigger than a CX-5 but smaller than a CX-9. What is the FR platform again?

FF is front-engine, front wheel drive. FR is front engine, rear wheel drive. Additionally, MR is mid-engine, rear wheel drive.

FF is front-engine, front wheel drive. FR is front engine, rear wheel drive. Additionally, MR is mid-engine, rear wheel drive.

This makes me wonder if the CX-50 is going to sit above the CX-5. It looks larger, more aggressive (tail pipes) and the back looks a little like a Cayenne.

The could keep the CX-5 as the "less" luxury car.

Last edited:
Back