Mazda CX-50 announced

This could be good candidate to replace my CRV. Hopefully it is not too big, read an article which mentioned it is even wider than cx9 which would be bit to wide for my taste. I was hoping a new 8 speed transmission but that seems to be only for upcoming RWD platforms.
Where did you see the article?

Time will tell. I'm personally not looking for a longer lower wider CX-5.
Funny how the rumors for a year were that the CX-50 would be the Mazda BMW X-3 fighter.
Now it seems to be the urbanites' Outback. Not sure that's the CX-5's desired niche, so I’m hoping for a new CX-5. YMMV.
Mmm, I think it would be a mistake to assume CX-50 was ever going to go head-to-head with the BMW X3. What it can do, and what the CX-5 has been doing, is attract customers who might love to have a BMW but can't justify the cost.

I don't think gravitating to a little cobbier styling changes that. The blackout treatment on the pre-production photos may be a bit misleading too., though I could have wished the wheel-well cladding had been slimmed down from the CX-5 rather than expanded (no doubt Toyota's influence... unfortunately)

But Mazda interiors are the slam-dunk. Climb aboard a current CX-5, particularly GT and up, and it's hard not to feel you've moved up into premium territory from others in its price-class. I expect no less from the CX-50 and, assuming it retains Mazda's typical good road manners, that's what'll grab the would-be BMW underclass buyers by the wallet.

That said, with an ever-changing market landscape, it may be the Genesis GV70 that serves as the CX-50's most significant "premium sub-luxury" competition (or vice versa).

Where did you see the article?
Autoblog, this is from article
"While the CX-30 that lends its platform is a subcompact SUV, the CX-50 is a bit bigger in almost every dimension than the compact CX-5. It's longer, wider and has more ground clearance, however overall height is a bit lower. The size pays dividends inside, too, with greater legroom than the CX-5, although Coleman couldn't give any specific dimensions for the CX-50 inside or out. He also said that the CX-50 is wider even than the CX-9, and as a result, it would actually be too wide to build at Mazda's Hiroshima facility, hence its production at the new Mazda-Toyota joint plant in Alabama. Mazda was also able to go with these dimensions since the CX-50 is designed for North America, so making sure it was usable down tight Japanese and European streets wasn't a priority."

Also from article regarding suspension
"The CX-50 is based on the same basic platform as the Mazda3 and CX-30. And that extends to the suspension design of MacPherson struts up front and a torsion beam at the rear. This is because this platform was designed with the torsion beam in mind, and Coleman and Mazda contend that this suspension design was used to keep vehicle motions simple and natural-feeling."

Mmm, I think it would be a mistake to assume CX-50 was ever going to go head-to-head with the BMW X3. What it can do, and what the CX-5 has been doing, is attract customers who might love to have a BMW but can't justify the cost.

I think people only assumed that the CX-50 would be an X3 competitor because of the rumour that the CX-50 was going to be on the new RWD based I6 platform.

We should have known that this wasn't going to be the case once we found out that the new SUV (now the CX-50) would be produced in the joint Mazda-Toyota plant.

Am I the only one that thinks the CX-50 looks like an Outback competitor?

Mazda said the CX-5 isn’t going anywhere. With the first photos showing trail tires, wider/lower looking stance and more rugged, it looks like Mazda is going after Subaru here.

Agree. An Outback competitor with better looks and fewer off-road capabilities. It’s wider than the CX-9 and longer and lower than the CX-5. Seems like a very different vehicle to the CX-5 despite the rumors that it will replace it after a couple of years.
I wonder how many years Mazda plans to get out of the current
CX-5 refresh.

Can't wait to know more about various trims/options, specs, prices for both US and Canada. Perhaps a mid cycle refresh will bring an 8 speed transmission?

I am new and created an account just to say that I am very excited to check out this when it is available for a test drive. I was considering Venza and the new 2022 NX and this pop up in my YT recommendation and now I am super intrigued by the new CX-50. It check all the boxes that I was looking for. Hopefully, the price will be good, too.

Coming from Toyota, does anyone has concern for reliability with the new Mazda generation, or should I wait a couple of year before getting into Mazda?

I am new and created an account just to say that I am very excited to check out this when it is available for a test drive. I was considering Venza and the new 2022 NX and this pop up in my YT recommendation and now I am super intrigued by the new CX-50. It check all the boxes that I was looking for. Hopefully, the price will be good, too.

Coming from Toyota, does anyone has concern for reliability with the new Mazda generation, or should I wait a couple of year before getting into Mazda?
Mazda is ranked as the most reliable brand by Consumer reports.
consumer-reports-mazda-2021-ranking-for-best-cars.jpg

Mazda did a great job with the CX-50. It adds something to the lineup they didn’t have before with the ”urbanite off-roader” look and rugged appearance. I’m sure it will drive as awesome as it looks.

Google some reviews of the CX-5 and CX-9 AWD from the past year or 2 with the “off road” algorithm updates - they’re pretty competent for what they are. With further refinements to that and more ground clearance, this could be a pretty competent off-roader. Not Jeep Rubicon of course but able to handle some messy washes or a steep, rutted grade.

My only reservations …

Disappointed the 8 speed didn’t make the cut. I love the current turbo engine and 6 speed but an 8 speed would really compliment the turbo 4 with better acceleration and fuel mileage. As torquey as the engine is, Mazda is holding back on acceleration from a stop.

The boxy, linear design look really REALLY good. I love this new model. BUT, I hope Mazda hasn’t abandoned the sexy, fluid lines of the Vision concepts. To date, the CX-30 shows this really well with the “scooped out” sides that swell into the rear wheels. I’m hoping the CX-90 will be more fluid and not as linear.

Amazing!! I am concern because this is a new platform and new direction for Mazda but I am willing to take the chance. I just love the car exterior and interior that much, especially napa leather option while even top trim 2022 NX won't have it.

It is still a fairly new platform, but the platform made its debut on the 2019 Mazda3, then was used in the brand new CX-30 which debuted later in the same year (I think). So the platform has a couple of years under it's belt already. The engine and transmission have also been used in almost every current Mazda model. The 2.5 turbo engine was first put into service on the 2016 CX-9, then the 2018 Mazda6, followed by the 2019 CX-5, then the 2019 Mazda3 and CX-30. The non-turbo 2.5L engine goes back as far as 2013, when it was used in the 2013 Mazda6. There were some issues when they introduced cylinder deactivation on the 2018 non-turbo engine, but a recall was issued for a software update to address the issue, and so far it seems to have resolved the issue.

I personally am very happy with my Mazda, and if I didn't already have my current car, I'd be seriously considering the CX-50 or CX-5.

Amazing!! I am concern because this is a new platform and new direction for Mazda but I am willing to take the chance. I just love the car exterior and interior that much, especially napa leather option while even top trim 2022 NX won't have it.
While the platform is not new, introduced in 2019 and shared with the 3 and CX-30, and the engines are holdovers, there's a lot that can go wrong. New model, new plant, new workforce, Alabama not Japan. That should give you pause. I'm well aware this is heresy to marketers and early adopters.

I may be remembering this wrong, but wasn't the original CX-5 built on the Mazda 3 platform?

JSB, your chart is the overall ranking which includes performance/road scores, etc. The Reliability ranking is the one I am attaching. Mazda is tops, either way.
View attachment 304904
I'm familiar with this ranking over many years. What often happens is makers with few or no new releases or generations or drive trains in a particular year rise in the rankings; those with several drop. Several of the luxury marques seem to languish at the bottom year after year; mo' gismos, mo' bleeding edge tech, mo' trouble.

Back