Mazda CX-50 announced

In November, Mazda will reveal the CX-50, the next crossover to join its lineup in the U.S. and Canada. The CX-50 will share its platform with Mazda's latest generation products, CX-30 and Mazda3, with enhanced all-wheel drive (AWD) capabilities and functionality for consumers with outdoor active lifestyles. The production of the CX-50 will begin in January 2022 at the new Mazda-Toyota joint venture factory—Mazda Toyota Manufacturing, U.S.A., Inc. (MTMUS)—in Huntsville, Alabama.

Following CX-50, Mazda will introduce two additional mid-size crossover SUVs for the Canadian and U.S. markets from its all-new large platform: the CX-90 followed by the CX-70. These new models will feature Mazda's new longitudinal architecture and introduce turbo-charged straight-six gasoline engine models and plug-in hybrid models to give consumers various options providing powerful, yet environmentally responsible performance.

A major difference between the models will be passenger occupancy, with the CX-90 providing three rows of seats and the CX-70 offering two rows of seats. The proportions of both vehicles will be optimized for Canadian consumers with expanded interior cabin and cargo spaces.

While CX-50 and CX-70 will be all-new additions to Mazda's lineup in Canada, CX-90 will serve as Mazda's only three-row SUV offering, in place of the current generation CX-9. The design, features, pricing, and trim details of the CX-50, CX-70, and CX-90 will be announced closer to their on-sale dates.

Wow. So the CX-50 is going to be something different:

"In November, Mazda will reveal the CX-50, the next crossover to join its lineup in the U.S. and Canada. The CX-50 will share its platform with Mazda's latest generation products, CX-30 and Mazda3, with enhanced all-wheel drive (AWD) capabilities and functionality for consumers with outdoor active lifestyles."

It sounds like the Mazda version of the Corolla cross.

Wow. So the CX-50 is going to be something different:

"In November, Mazda will reveal the CX-50, the next crossover to join its lineup in the U.S. and Canada. The CX-50 will share its platform with Mazda's latest generation products, CX-30 and Mazda3, with enhanced all-wheel drive (AWD) capabilities and functionality for consumers with outdoor active lifestyles."

It sounds like the Mazda version of the Corolla cross.
It won’t have anything to do with the Cross. It will be slightly larger than the CX-5 with the interior and new platform from the CX-30. I could see the CX-5 get phased out after a few years just like the CX-30 did to the CX-3.

I could see the CX-5 get phased out after a few years just like the CX-30 did to the CX-3.
I can as well...Love the CX-5 but based on what we're seeing here, it seems like that's Mazda's intention...Excellent share BTW, thanks!

It won’t have anything to do with the Cross. It will be slightly larger than the CX-5 with the interior and new platform from the CX-30. I could see the CX-5 get phased out after a few years just like the CX-30 did to the CX-3.

It is being built in the exact same place and maybe even on the same line. It would be really stupid business to make two completely different vehicles in such a manner.

Sounds like this November unveiling is going to be a let down. So the CX-50 is just going to be more or less an updated CX-5 and won't have the new inline 6.

Sounds like this November unveiling is going to be a let down. So the CX-50 is just going to be more or less an updated CX-5 and won't have the new inline 6.

That's what I'm thinking as well, but I'm trying to remain optimistic that it'll have enough significant differences to make it a worthwhile addition to their model line up.

What benefit does the CX-30(CX-50) platform give over the CX-5?
It will be stiffer and lighter than the older platform in the CX-5. They also designed the structure of the platform to transfer less noise and vibration. The new platform ended up being much quieter. In addition the new platform can support all future electrification options.

How about the rear-torsion-beam suspension of CX-30?
Would it find its way into the CX-50?
Bad idea if you ask me.
I won't buy any cars with non-independent suspension if I have alternatives.

Tried it with '05 Prius (based on Corolla chassis).
Horrible at aggressive turns.
My wife's car. She did not care.

What I was told by a Mazda GM was as follows...
CX-30 Refresh in 2 -3 years.
CX-5 will soldier on with the current refresh for a couple years and will be dramatically remade and perhaps become a CX-60 or somehow get a zero at the end of the name.
CX-50 will be small like the Toyota Cross. It will be going after the Subaru buyer with a more rugged look. It will also be Mazda's way to get into the Hybrid buyers wallet.
CX-70 is of course going to be on the new RWD platform and will be a larger 2 row. Think Ford Edge. He did not anticipate them squeezing a 3rd row into it but said you never know.
CX-90 will be larger and boxier than it is now and will be moving upmarket.

Who am I, I am a nobody that happens to have a good relationship with someone that is in a position to know. He told me all of this a few weeks ago so who knows if anything has changed.
Will any of what he said ring true? I have no idea but I am positive that this is the information that he had at the time.

CX-5 will soldier on with the current refresh for a couple years and will be dramatically remade and perhaps become a CX-60 or somehow get a zero at the end of the name.
CX-50 will be small like the Toyota Cross. It will be going after the Subaru buyer with a more rugged look. It will also be Mazda's way to get into the Hybrid buyers wallet.
CX-70 is of course going to be on the new RWD platform and will be a larger 2 row. Think Ford Edge. He did not anticipate them squeezing a 3rd row into it but said you never know.

Who am I, I am a nobody that happens to have a good relationship with someone that is in a position to know. He told me all of this a few weeks ago so who knows if anything has changed.
Will any of what he said ring true? I have no idea but I am positive that this is the information that he had at the time.
Makes good sense to me. The CX-5 changes guarantee a shelf-life of a couple more years then who knows. The other comments are reasonable but I think we can safely rule out a CX-70 third row.

It makes sense. The CX-70 is the CX9 replacement. The CX-90 will be the must have gigantic 3 row SUV all companies must manufacture because everyone now hates minivans.
How about the rear-torsion-beam suspension of CX-30?
Would it find its way into the CX-50?
Bad idea if you ask me.
I won't buy any cars with non-independent suspension if I have alternatives.

Tried it with '05 Prius (based on Corolla chassis).
Horrible at aggressive turns.
My wife's car. She did not care.
Just absolutely silly. You can tune it to handle just as well as an independent rear suspension. The only difference would be the independent suspension would have a softer quieter ride.

Looks like we’ll know more next Monday. Right now I see a well defined rear quarter panel with a lot of black plastic around the wheel well.

4B645AA9-A21A-49C9-BA09-B9CE51B8EA18.jpeg

Looks like we’ll know more next Monday. Right now I see a well defined rear quarter panel with a lot of black plastic around the wheel well.

View attachment 304517
I guess it's part of the rugged "bring you closer to nature" appeal...like a Forester, Jeep or Outback.
If that's the pitch though, it would justify the long-term future of a sleek CX-5 for us "urbanites".

Back