Mazda Bongo Engine Replacement Options?

Hello all. I have a 1994 Mazda Bongo Brawny bus that has a destroyed engine. I'm thinking of doing an engine replacement but I dont have the slightest idea about engines so I have no idea what kinds of engines would fit in it and work. It originally had a Mazda R2 - 2.2 L (2,184 cc) engine in it but i'd like to replace it with something newer and more efficient than the R2. The swap can either be a diesel or a gas engine it doesnt matter. It's not a popular vehicle where I live so getting a replacement R2 might not be possible. Is there any other engine that might work in it or should I just call the whole thing a loss. Thanks in advance.

SpiBxG4rCbFBcwAqXA0XhHt-QqT-wZcCmSspS9Vx01fSpNeT9n0uGKsvoR0uzuOZhcXP_zU0BeB9dxcdSDgIT-fypiKiW1XdsfEZ

Hello all. I have a 1994 Mazda Bongo Brawny bus that has a destroyed engine. I'm thinking of doing an engine replacement but I dont have the slightest idea about engines so I have no idea what kinds of engines would fit in it and work. It originally had a Mazda R2 - 2.2 L (2,184 cc) engine in it but i'd like to replace it with something newer and more efficient than the R2. The swap can either be a diesel or a gas engine it doesnt matter. It's not a popular vehicle where I live so getting a replacement R2 might not be possible. Is there any other engine that might work in it or should I just call the whole thing a loss. Thanks in advance.

SpiBxG4rCbFBcwAqXA0XhHt-QqT-wZcCmSspS9Vx01fSpNeT9n0uGKsvoR0uzuOZhcXP_zU0BeB9dxcdSDgIT-fypiKiW1XdsfEZ
Hi @Geld I have a Mazda E2200 1993. Engine is the same as the one you describe and it's bust. Can't find a replacement... did you ever do a swap and if so what did you use?

Back