Mazda 2 caught in the US

Same reason you would sell Smarts to Canada only, and same reason you would sell the Toyota Echo Hatchback to Canada only.

Add the Acura EL/CSX to that list (Acura version of the Civic). The Canadian market is much more receptive to small cars. Though I'm not sure why Toyota is still not selling Scions here.

Okay so I'm confused the Ford Fiesta is going to be sold in the US and if I'm not mistaken is the Fiesta not a twin of the Mazda2?
I love the Fiesta but if that Ford is going to be sold here I don't understand why the 2 isn't and again I thought the 2 came out awhile ago and the market in the US is crazy about mini cars look how well the Mazda5 is doing and thats a mini mini van! Everyone is crazy about the Fit great car, but it's a boring ride. The Versa is an awkward little car but people enjoy it and then Toyota is going to sell the iQ which is a Smart car for thousands less.
Toyota was going to sell the iQ in the US as a Scion but then changed it's mind because they didn't think they would sell as well if they were badged Scion instead of Toyota... look at the now killed Scion xA... Maybe Mazda didn't think people would buy the 2 because it's a Mazda? But personaly I would much rather buy a Mazda even though it's owned by FMC.

Okay so I'm confused the Ford Fiesta is going to be sold in the US and if I'm not mistaken is the Fiesta not a twin of the Mazda2?

Nope, but I would get a Mazda in no time instead as well (naughty)

^^ Kind of the same design/concept/idea/platform, but very different looking if you ask...

2009%20Ford%20Fiesta%20five-door-f3-4_400.jpg

mazda2_sm.jpg

Yeah I see it now... I don't know which I would get if I had to pick!
The ford looks a little larger and I think I would lean towards that but the Mazda is a very cute car.
If the Ford wasn't from European hands I wouldn't even look at it.
The Fiesta looks like a chunky squished Mazda5 or the new Honda Clarity.

I'm in Okinawa, Japan on my honeymoon and the Demio/Mazda2 are everywhere! I really want one of these cars. Has anyone heard any updates if these are coming to the states?

PS. my new wife is doing her hair so I'm safe right now....

I don't think its comming here I know the Ford Fiesta is comming and I think Ford talked Mazda out of bringing over the 2 so that Fords sales would be better.

I don't think its comming here I know the Ford Fiesta is comming and I think Ford talked Mazda out of bringing over the 2 so that Fords sales would be better.

hmmm the fiesta is nice enough... we get one called the "XR4" - which is the fiesta with the 2L mazda 3/duratech engine ;) Pretty beasty little thing.

Also means, that its at least MECHANICALLY possible to slip the 2.3L under the hood of the mazda 2... if the 2L bolts in...hrmm.. or maybe even that high revving high displacement cosworth racing version of it :)

They should smack a 2 rotor rotary under it or even the 2.3l from the Mazda 3s (or the turbo'd one from the speed3), stiffen the suspension, not have it be FWD (RWD or AWD, please), and call it a Mazdaspeed 2, because, quite honestly, small cars also deserve powerful engines, not just the mid-size and full-size cars that are the Mazda 6, Honda Accord, etc.

EDIT: The rotary would probably be better due to weight distribution.

Last edited:
They should smack a 2 or 3 rotor rotary under it or even the 2.3l from the Mazda 3s (or the turbo'd one from the speed3), stiffen the suspension, not have it be FWD (RWD or AWD, please), and call it a Mazdaspeed 2, because, quite honestly, small cars also deserve powerful engines, not just the mid-size and full-size cars that are the Mazda 6, Honda Accord, etc.

EDIT: The rotary would probably be better due to weight distribution.
The 3 is consided a small car, the 2 is on the verge of being a micro car.

And? Nothing wrong with a small car that can go faster than highway speeds.
Well you said small cars should have powerful engines not just MID-SIZE of FULL-SIZE but the 3 is considered a small car and it has a powerful engine (SPEED) all I was saying is that the 2 would be a powerful MICOSPEED.

Well you said small cars should have powerful engines not just MID-SIZE of FULL-SIZE but the 3 is considered a small car and it has a powerful engine (SPEED) all I was saying is that the 2 would be a powerful MICOSPEED.

The problem with the speed is that since it's FWD and produces so much power, the torque has to be limited at lower RPMs leading to less low end power to prevent torque steer. So, powerful engine, but a design shortcoming nonetheless. If it was a 50/50 AWD, I would definately like it a lot more although at that point, it's basically an Impreza WRX with a different style of engine. That's something that I think should be addressed although the MS3 people may vehemently disagree.

So, as I said, I think a MS2 should adopt AWD because of torque steer issues. More power to the road, baby!

The problem with the speed is that since it's FWD and produces so much power, the torque has to be limited at lower RPMs leading to less low end power to prevent torque steer. So, powerful engine, but a design shortcoming nonetheless. If it was a 50/50 AWD, I would definately like it a lot more although at that point, it's basically an Impreza WRX with a different style of engine. That's something that I think should be addressed although the MS3 people may vehemently disagree.

So, as I said, I think a MS2 should adopt AWD because of torque steer issues. More power to the road, baby!
Yeah the SPEED's love their cars lol but yeah I see what you're saying and I'm all for it! I would love a powerful engine in the Mazda2.

I'm moving to England soon too so I'll be driving one soon anyways.

Back