Mazda 2.5 and Ford 2.5

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
Some kid that I know keeps arguing with me about the 2.5 in the 626, MX-6, Probe, Contour, Mondeo, and Cougar is that Duratec v6. I've always thought the Mazda based cars use the Mazda 2.5 and the Ford based cars use the Duratec 2.5. What is correct?

mikeyb said:
Some kid that I know keeps arguing with me about the 2.5 in the 626, MX-6, Probe, Contour, Mondeo, and Cougar is that Duratec v6. I've always thought the Mazda based cars use the Mazda 2.5 and the Ford based cars use the Duratec 2.5. What is correct?

Actually yes but no...

The 2.5 duratec was in Contour, Mondeo, and Cougar.

The 2.5 KLZE engine was in 626, MX-6, Probe......So yes Ford who owns 28.65% of Mazda used the 2.5 in the 93-96 Ford Probe GT.........

KL-DE, not ZE. KL-ZE is the JDM one. But yeah, the probe has the Mazda engine... it might have a ford head or something but it's a Mazda engine.

The KL-DE was also in the '95-'02 Millenia. Forgot about this.......

Also Mazda6 has Ford Duratec V6 engine. Ford shares mazda 2.3Liter engine.....

MazKid said:
The Duratec was also in the '99-'01 MPV.

The KL-DE was also in the '95-'02 Millenia.

Theres 3 versions of KLs found in MX-6s/Probes/626s between 93-97. The KL03, KLDE, and the JDM KLZE. These are all Mazda built and designed engines. The 1G Probe (89-92) had a Ford engine in the some of the LXs, the 3L Vulcan. The Duratecs are Ford designed, but some Mazda assembled. And, of coarse, Mazda takes all the heat for how bad the engines are in the Tributes/Escapes due to Fordsa bad marketing department.

GlowspeedP5 said:
So yes Ford who owns 28.65% of Mazda
Close, Ford acquired 25% of Mazda in 1979 and later increased its share to 33.x% of Mazda in 1996.

-Tyler

The 3 versions of the KL are virtually the same, only minor differences (compression ratio, valvetrain etc). The 3L Vulcan is a V6 with the cam in the block. The Duratecs are OHC engines. So in essence, they're all different with similar displacement numbers and nothing else.

-Tyler

The KL motors in the Probe, MX6, 626, Millenia, and MX3(in a 1.8L version) are the same. The only difference is that the MX6 and MX3 have a shorter final drive in their tranny. Same hp and tq and compression in all except the 1.8 and the Millenia S that has a 2.3L supercharged Miller cycle motor that is still essentially a KL motor. Also the Duratec 2.5 in the newer "Fords" are pretty much the same as the KL except for upgraded pistons, head internals and intake manifold. A headgasket for a KL motor is the same for a Duratec. Just like the new Mazda Duratecs in the 3s are the same thats in the new Focus' essentially.

The k series engines:
Displacements range from 1.8L to 2.0L to 2.3L to 2.5L. These engine can be found in Mx3's, Mx6's, Millenia's, ford probe gt's, and 626's. Not to include the verious jspec models that came with a K series engine.
Mazda also shared the FS series 2.0L engines with mx6, 626, protege and probe se/base.

The duretec engine would in the eyes of ford be the next generation of the Vulcan series that were found in the ford minivan's, range's, tarus, and 90-91 probe LX. The vulcan was a pushrod overhead value engine. Rumor has it that mazda engineers helped develope the vulcan engine into what is now the duratec engine. If you look at the 2.5L intake manifold it will also remind you of the vulcan tarus SHO engine that was modified by yamaha.

tyler886 said:
Theres 3 versions of KLs found in MX-6s/Probes/626s between 93-97. The KL03, KLDE, and the JDM KLZE. These are all Mazda built and designed engines. The 1G Probe (89-92) had a Ford engine in the some of the LXs, the 3L Vulcan. The Duratecs are Ford designed, but some Mazda assembled. And, of coarse, Mazda takes all the heat for how bad the engines are in the Tributes/Escapes due to Fordsa bad marketing department.

Close, Ford acquired 25% of Mazda in 1979 and later increased its share to 33.x% of Mazda in 1996.

-Tyler

the "KL03" *is* the KL-DE... the KL03 just happens to be a misnomer because thats what people saw on the casting of the engine parts... same reason why people has been calling the FS-DE the "FS01" for the longest time

but there are a few versions of the KL... there's the original KL-DE from 93-97 and then the 98+ ones got solid lifters and no disty.... the KL-ZE never got solid lifters but there are multiple intake manifold designs of the KL-ZE depending on which car/year it was used in... the early KL-ZE cams are supposedly better than the newer KL-ZE cams which eventually used the same s*** as the KL-DEs (HLA version)

Titanium said:
The k series engines:
Displacements range from 1.8L to 2.0L to 2.3L to 2.5L. These engine can be found in Mx3's, Mx6's, Millenia's, ford probe gt's, and 626's. Not to include the verious jspec models that came with a K series engine.
Mazda also shared the FS series 2.0L engines with mx6, 626, protege and probe se/base.

The duretec engine would in the eyes of ford be the next generation of the Vulcan series that were found in the ford minivan's, range's, tarus, and 90-91 probe LX. The vulcan was a pushrod overhead value engine. Rumor has it that mazda engineers helped develope the vulcan engine into what is now the duratec engine. If you look at the 2.5L intake manifold it will also remind you of the vulcan tarus SHO engine that was modified by yamaha.

the FS was also used in the non-US 2nd gen MPVs... let's not forget to mention the FP which is just basically a destroked version of the FS, it was offered in the 3rd gen protege (of course) throughout all the years depending on where it was sold, as well as the non-US 626, MX-6, and perhaps the probes... IIRC the non-US millenia (as we call it here) also got the FP in certain years

Help

Hi guys

we have the mazda KL engine in our race car, it is twin turbo.
our category is in australia and previously had a 6L capacity engine limit.
so for an engine like the 2.5 KL and turbocharged you had
2.5 X 1.7 X 1.2 the 1.7 and 1.2 were multiplying factors for turbo (1.7) and multivalve (1.2) so this brought our capacity to almost 6L.

the multivalve rule has been scraped so we can now go to 3.5L

i was wondering is it possible to get a ford duratec engine ( the 3L version) and put our heads from our KL engine on it?

so what im asking is are they basically the same block? the KL's and the duratecs?

any help would be greatly appreciated

nick

hey mr boost, i saw a magazine article about 2-3 years ago. they took a 2.5 duratec out of the SVT contour and mated a set of 3 liter heads to it from a SHO taurus, but as far as the two with different displacement and different features go there are several things that probably wouldnt line up. Mostly would be the water jackets from the block to the head, then the cams and all the valvetrain parts. Either way goodluck with all your ventures and maybe you can have a hybrid of sorts lol

To my knowlege and what I have read on the web, the Mazda KL series V6 has little similarity to the 2.5 Duratec V6 and is a far superior product. All KL engines have forged crankshafts, connecting rods and sodium filled exhuast valves- things the Duratec simply does not have. One must remember that the Duratec was first conceived for the Modeo/Contour, middle to low priced car. Whereas the KL 2.0-2.5L was designed origionally for use on the Mazda Xedos platform, a car that was to be the entry level to Mazda's new luxury division to compete with Lexus. This never happpened, but the car ( Milenia in the US ) and engine remained. Probe/MX-6/626 got the 2.5L version of it and the Milenia recieved a Miller cycle 2.3L. And what a nice engine it is.

sorry to drag up an old thread but i was googling for info on the 2.5 v6 i have in my Mondeo ST24, but the engine code is not a ford one it is a Mazda one, the code being ML. Now it has ford heads on top off it but since stripping it the head gaskets have extra holes in it surplus to requirements, as in there are no galleries where they fit. But ford according to the registration and vin number say they are the right gaskets.

Any one familiar with this ML engine in Duratec guise?

hey i got a question for your all my boy keeps on arguing with me about this.. is it true that the 01 ford focus has the same motor as a mazda i dnt think they do but i could be wrong i know ford owns a bit of mazda but im pretty damn sure the only car it builds now is the tribute and the b2500 anyways let me know give me some imput cuz i wanna shut him up

Back