Maz Nav SD Map Version downlevel for 2021-2023 CX-5 TD2K66EZ1A

But others have purchased cards after I did and they still update fine. It isn't the case that anyone buying an EBAY or Amazon card can't update any longer. I just went on Maz Nav's site and it states OEM cards no longer update via the toolbox. I don't understand how this could be the case. If it's OEM - by definition it's legit. What would the difference be from an OEM card purchased from the dealership?

But others have purchased cards after I did and they still update fine. It isn't the case that anyone buying an EBAY or Amazon card can't update any longer.
yet many are saying they can not update them that just purchased them and even Maz Nav who would not benefit from saying this says MazdaToolbox will not allow updates anymore. they used to but now they won't. regardless I am just going to wait a few weeks to get the most current version. You and others got lucky and in before Mazda caught on.

If this true, I am betting there will be many more Mazda's with no Nav cards from now on.... 450 for an SD card is pretty silly.

all new CX5s already come without nav except Sig trim....and wait till you see the connected services fees :)

all new CX5s already come without nav except Sig trim....and wait till you see the connected services fees :)
3 year free and they hope you are hooked on it..kind of like the drug dealer that gives free drugs. lol. How much is it after that? $20 a month or so probably.

If this true, I am betting there will be many more Mazda's with no Nav cards from now on.... 450 for an SD card is pretty silly.
it really does not make a good business model. They probably sell a handful at $450 or $499 and they could probably sell bucket loads at $100 and it would cost them exactly the same amount to produce the sd cards. silly indeed and almost criminal.

How to Find the Map Version of Mazda GPS/Navigation?

I spent time trying to find map version.
With newer GPS system, this info is right there under Navigation-> Manu -> Travel Information -> About.
With older GPS system on my '16 Mazda6 and '14 Mazda3... this info is nowhere to be found.

I pulled the SD card and plugged it into the PC.
It is under
<content> -> <DbVersion.zip>
d-click the .zip file to unzip it.
There is a info.ini file in the folder.
Open it by d-clicking it.
You can see
cpn_nng="HMNA2013Q4"
This is the version of the map. This came with my '16 Mazda6.

I bought a SD card a few months ago from Am*n.com.
I also checked it today.
It has:
cpn_nng="MHNA2019Q4".

My '22 CX-5 Turbo did not come with a GPS SD card.
I also got one for it from Am*n.com last year (2022). Same version (not surprising).

In summary, you can find the map version as I described above by checking the SD card.
The SD cards they sell recently on Am*n.com have 2019Q4 map.

There is a new version of map, which is 2021Q2.
According to MazdaUSA, a new map arrives every 12-18 months.
We can expect a new one coming (2022Q4 or 2023Q2). (or is it already available?)
(seems to me, they like to release map on Q2 or Q4)

Just to share with you my recent findings.
Okay, did that today. My nav. card is 2015Q2. Guess I need an update. 😁

So, my card P/N is BHP1 66 EZ1E. Do I need to get the same P/N. They say the EZ1P and I believe EZ1N work, is that true?

I just updated my '23 Signature to the latest North America maps using the Mazda Toolbox:

Map release: Q2 23CW04
Database version: Q2 2022

Was your card a Mazda OEM you paid $500 for or and Amazon you paid $49 and change for?
The Signature model is the only CX-5 which comes with a Nav card as standard equipment. So it's the $450 card, but it was not paid for separately.

I kinda think the only reason to bother with the card anymore is if you have the HUD. I just did a 2500 mile road trip and used Maps with an AAWireless adapter all the way. I miss the directions popping up on the HUD, and AA can be a bit snarky sometimes, but that's offset by the speed trap warnings and Coolwalk's split display.

It's worth 50 clams for the HUD info for speed etc but no way it's worth what Mazda wants for it.

I have asked maznav a couple of times why on their website they say mazda toolbox won't update OEM cards (my dealership says that is false and only pirated sd cards can't be updated) and they won't answer back. They were great communicators until I posed that question and now they won't answer or respond.

I am sure maznav can't tell you how Mazda implemented a policy to stop cards which were not purchased at the dealer as they aren't privy to the information. It has to be serial numbers. They likely added script to the toolbox which looks for the serial number and only allows those numbers which were uploaded by Mazda to be updated. My card which was not purchased from Mazda continues to update just fine so it must be after a certain serial number. maznav's cards have to be procured post dealer as well so they don't have any leg up over anyone else since they can't be updated either. It doesn't seem as if there is any advantage to their cards if you can't use the toolbox to update them.

I kinda think the only reason to bother with the card anymore is if you have the HUD. I just did a 2500 mile road trip and used Maps with an AAWireless adapter all the way. I miss the directions popping up on the HUD, and AA can be a bit snarky sometimes, but that's offset by the speed trap warnings and Coolwalk's split display.

It's worth 50 clams for the HUD info for speed etc but no way it's worth what Mazda wants for it.
What AAWireless adapter did you use? I tried two different adapters and neither one would work with either my CX-5 or with the aftermarket Pioneer AA headunit in my truck. It could just be my lack of understanding how to pair the phone to it, or that the ones I purchased aren't good.

I am sure maznav can't tell you how Mazda implemented a policy to stop cards which were not purchased at the dealer as they aren't privy to the information. It has to be serial numbers. They likely added script to the toolbox which looks for the serial number and only allows those numbers which were uploaded by Mazda to be updated. My card which was not purchased from Mazda continues to update just fine so it must be after a certain serial number. maznav's cards have to be procured post dealer as well so they don't have any leg up over anyone else since they can't be updated either. It doesn't seem as if there is any advantage to their cards if you can't use the toolbox to update them.
my point is I do not think maznav is being upfront. they are not in fact selling oem sd cards like they are claiming. Kind of dishonest on their part to claim they are oem and that mazdatoolbox no longer updates oem cards when in fact that is not true and yes I agree may as well spend $50 on a card vs their $100 if they are the same pirated card.

Completely agree. From what I understood maznav CAN update the cards if you send them back in so they have defeated the software somehow but they won't tell you how to do it at home. The reason I say this is they have(or had anyway) a service for updates after the original 3 yr update period expired. It appears to me that any card not purchased through a Mazda authorized dealer is considered pirated by the toolbox. The question is, how did they implement it?

Yes ebay/internet clones can easily be detected and the vin gets blacklisted after.

That’s only half true!
While toolbox will detect some of the fakes
It does NOT blacklist your vin’
With a fake card you can’t even do anything with toolbox’ it will say it’s a fake THATS IT!
It DOES NOT BLACKLIST you vin!
You can now do 1 of 2 things

1)use the fake card in car you’ll have no issues you’ll just never be able to update as toolbox won’t work w/ fake card so if you want more updated maps you’ll have to buy a newer version card on eBay/Amazon
2) buy either an oem one OR some of the cheap ones online actually are oem’ those will usually have a white paper with the part # and sd card will be in a little blue bag so look at sellers pictures that’s how you can tell if it’s an oem’ once you have a a card that reads with toolbox you’re good to go’ once in toolbox you can buy 1time update or the 3 years of updates’ yes even if you had a fake one previous to this it works just fine!
You’re spreading misinformation claiming you vin will be “blacklisted” NO IT WON’T

yes because you purchased your card and had it updated before Mazda put a halt to it so you would be able to update your card. This has been a recent thing that Mazda toolbox decided/ started doing this. my guess any card that has previously been updated prior will continue to be updated just new ones no go.
Not true at all’ it all depends on the seller
I just bought one from EBay last week’ $25 it updates on toolbox just fine! eBay seems to be the place over amazon’
Look at the sellers pictures
If it comes with a white paper with part # and sd card in a little blue bag then it is legit

Back