May be trading 2012 Focus Titanium for 2014 Mazda3s GT

Chibana

Contributor
:
2009 Mazda RX-8
So, I had a 2005 Mazda3s sedan in Winning Blue that I absolutely loved. I've never been more attached to a car than I was to that one. Several years after the engine died and I sold it, I still miss it.

http://www.mattharrell.net/personal/mazda3.html

When that one blew up, I knew about the upcoming new Focus, and was very excited about it. The second gen Mazda3 did nothing for me, and you couldn't get one with near-40mpg highway gas mileage (my place of work is 85 miles from home) and a ton of kit like you could with the 2012 Focus. I pre-ordered my 2012 Focus Titanium hatchback with the Titanium Handling Package in October of 2010. The dealer sold me a used 2007 Focus SE at their cost as a loaner until my new car arrived.

http://www.mattharrell.net/personal/2007focus.html

I took delivery of the new Focus the day before my birthday, May 25, 2011.

http://www.mattharrell.net/personal/2012focus-totaled.html

That one was totaled when a 17-year old driver made a left turn in front of me as I was going through an intersection. I sure wish this new Mazda3 had been available then! I nearly bought a VW GTI, but didn't want to take the gas mileage hit, and it would have had less kit than my Focus for more money. So I bought another identical Focus, except in black.

http://www.mattharrell.net/personal/2012focus.html

I've had a love-hate relationship with that car (just like the first one). The car has great potential, but was tarnished by piss-poor shift logic in the dual-clutch transmission and seriously buggy and slow MyFordTouch system. A couple of months ago I was ready to go to the Mazda dealer and ditch it for a 2014 Mazda3, even if it meant a big financial hit. Then Ford released the latest version of MFT which has completely fixed every bug and crash. I've had no bad behavior since, other than it's still a bit sluggish. In addition, I got the latest update to the ECU/PCM, and now the transmission shifts much better (still not perfect, but much better).

I still can't get the 2014 Mazda3 out of my head. I test drove one last week. I love the almond leather interior of the 2.5L GT. I've been a HUGE Mazda fan since I bought that 2005 Mazda3. I liked the steering better than my Focus, but the suspension is too soft. I can fix that later. I also own a 2009 RX-8:

http://www.mattharrell.net/personal/rx-8.html.

I've never felt quite at home going back to a Focus. I had a heavily modified 2001 ZX3:

http://www.mattharrell.net/personal/focus.html.

The Mazda3 has more front leg room by a good margin. I'm 6'3" and have some sciatic nerve issues in my left leg, so leg room is a big deal to me. I've spent a lot of time researching the pros and cons of switching to a 2014 Mazda3s GT, not the least of the cons being the financial hit. If I do it, it will be after February when my RX-8 is paid off.

Anyway, if you're still with me (I wouldn't be by now), my main concern at this point with the Mazda3 is the infotainment system. I've been through a couple years of constant updates with MFT to get it to behave, and it's just about perfect now. SYNC works marvelously well for me. I read in one of the 2014 Mazda3 manuals that you cannot leave things connected to the USB port when you shut off the car, and I also read that if you're using a USB flash drive, the car will forget where you left off every time you shut it off. This is a BIG deal to me. I listen to playlists and audiobooks all the time during my commute. MyFordTouch/SYNC always remembers where I left off (now that that particular bug was fixed). Having to be careful to disconnect my flash drives, or change sources, before shutting off the car would be a huge PITA. Having the car forget where I left off every time I get in would suck beyond belief. I could probably go back to using my old 80GB iPod Classic. That might eliminate the issue of the car forgetting where it left off, since the iPod would be controlling that.

I really want to get back into a Mazda3 with the new car being so fantastic, but these USB issues might just be a show-stopper for me. Thoughts?

So, I had a 2005 Mazda3s sedan in Winning Blue that I absolutely loved. I've never been more attached to a car than I was to that one. Several years after the engine died and I sold it, I still miss it.

http://www.mattharrell.net/personal/mazda3.html

Same thing happened to my 2004. I felt crushed and betrayed :)

When that one blew up, I knew about the upcoming new Focus, and was very excited about it. The second gen Mazda3 did nothing for me, and you couldn't get one with near-40mpg highway gas mileage (my place of work is 85 miles from home) and a ton of kit like you could with the 2012 Focus. I pre-ordered my 2012 Focus Titanium hatchback with the Titanium Handling Package in October of 2010. The dealer sold me a used 2007 Focus SE at their cost as a loaner until my new car arrived.

I took delivery of the new Focus the day before my birthday, May 25, 2011.

I know you said the Nagare Mazda3 didn't do anything for you, me neither, but didn't the SkyActiv 40 MPG engine come to the Mazda3 for M.Y. 2012? I thought it did...I test drove one, felt pretty good, though I really really hated the styling.

I still can't get the 2014 Mazda3 out of my head. I test drove one last week. I love the almond leather interior of the 2.5L GT. I've been a HUGE Mazda fan since I bought that 2005 Mazda3. I liked the steering better than my Focus, but the suspension is too soft. I can fix that later. I also own a 2009 RX-8:

http://www.mattharrell.net/personal/rx-8.html.

I've never felt quite at home going back to a Focus. I had a heavily modified 2001 ZX3:

http://www.mattharrell.net/personal/focus.html.

The Mazda3 has more front leg room by a good margin. I'm 6'3" and have some sciatic nerve issues in my left leg, so leg room is a big deal to me. I've spent a lot of time researching the pros and cons of switching to a 2014 Mazda3s GT, not the least of the cons being the financial hit. If I do it, it will be after February when my RX-8 is paid off.

Anyway, if you're still with me (I wouldn't be by now), my main concern at this point with the Mazda3 is the infotainment system. I've been through a couple years of constant updates with MFT to get it to behave, and it's just about perfect now. SYNC works marvelously well for me. I read in one of the 2014 Mazda3 manuals that you cannot leave things connected to the USB port when you shut off the car, and I also read that if you're using a USB flash drive, the car will forget where you left off every time you shut it off. This is a BIG deal to me. I listen to playlists and audiobooks all the time during my commute. MyFordTouch/SYNC always remembers where I left off (now that that particular bug was fixed). Having to be careful to disconnect my flash drives, or change sources, before shutting off the car would be a huge PITA. Having the car forget where I left off every time I get in would suck beyond belief. I could probably go back to using my old 80GB iPod Classic. That might eliminate the issue of the car forgetting where it left off, since the iPod would be controlling that.

I really want to get back into a Mazda3 with the new car being so fantastic, but these USB issues might just be a show-stopper for me. Thoughts?

I think that USB thing is a CYA, Hyundai said that too, eventually I just left the USB stick in all the time because it was too much of a pain to remember to remove. So far I'm leaving it in the Mazda3. It complains sometimes depending on what's on the stick and how the file system is structured, but they usually play fine.

npaladin2000, you are correct in that the SkyActive 2.0 Mazda3 could get me similar gas mileage to my Focus, but with nowhere near the level of equipment my Focus has. And, like you said, I really didn't like the exterior design of that generation of Mazda3.

I hope you're right about the CYA thing. It seems pretty stupid the way it's described. Going back to my iPod for music and audiobooks isn't too big of a deal, as long as the Mazda interface for controlling it works well. I only gave it up on my Focus because SYNC kept killing it to the point where I had to go to iTunes and reset it back to factory to get it to work again. So I bought a 64 GB flash drive to use for music, and I used an old 8 GB one for audiobooks, and they stay in my Focus all the time.

Last edited:
I just traded my 2012 Focus Hatch SE for a 2014 Soul Red 3sGT. The difference is overwhelming so far. The Focus transmission felt like driving with someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick and gave me none of the fun and feel of my previous Mazda3. That one melted on the freeway from a bad temp sensor, and I would have had another one if it weren't for the stupid smiley face. But now I'm back and this version is better than ever.

I have not yet tried any USB sticks or USB connections to my Galaxy S3. Bluetooth with Google Play works great for me. I will say there has been a bit of stutter every once in a while with the BT, but overall it seems to work fine. I've only had it for 3 days though, but so far I'm extremely happy.

I'm looking into getting some protective film to save that awesome front end from all the rock chips I get from the high speed freeway driving I do. What would you guys recommend on the Soul Red?

I'm looking into getting some protective film to save that awesome front end from all the rock chips I get from the high speed freeway driving I do. What would you guys recommend on the Soul Red?
I'm considering the same thing, that front chin is begging for chips :(

I'll play around with a flash drive and will let you know how it handles it.

I liked the steering better than my Focus, but the suspension is too soft. I can fix that later.

Chibana: What would do to firm up the suspension? My concern is as much with the body lean as the suspension softness.

I'm planning to get a '14 M3sT in six months or so, and by that time there will hopefully be some beefed-up aftermarket suspension parts available.

@MisterSpiff, yes, the dual-clutch on the Focus is not the best, but the last ECU update made a huge improvement. The 2014 Mazda3 auto is still better from my test drive, though.

I have the paint protection film on my Focus, and I did just the headlights on my RX-8. I don't think I'll do it again on any car other than headlights (to avoid yellowing of the lenses, supposedly). I don't like how visible the edges of the film are. It's especially visible on dark paint. Also, when it starts getting tears from stones, it starts looking like crap. Still, it's nice knowing that underneath that film the paint will be nearly pristine. Mine cost me about $500 if I remember correctly, and just $50 for the headlights on my RX-8.

@LennyR, on my 2005 Mazda3 I had Racing Beat springs (a perfect 1/2" drop), KONI Sport (yellow) dampers, and a Progress rear anti-roll bar. The KONI dampers were a bit too stiff for Michigan roads, even on full soft, but that car was the best handling FWD car I've ever driven. It was well balanced with considerably less understeer than it had from the factory and very little body roll. I also noticed on my test drive of the 2014 Mazda3 that there was too much body roll. I was surprised how much better I liked my Focus suspension tuning than the new Mazda3, but the Mazda3's steering won hands down. It felt more like my RX-8. If I do get a new Mazda, I'm hoping that Racing Beat will come through with springs again, and this time I'll probably do KONI FSD dampers for a bit more liveable ride.

Just for s**** and giggles, here's the list I put together in a Google doc with my thoughts about swapping the Focus for a 2014 Mazda3.

Pros
* more front legroom (this is a big one)
* Crippen Mazda service has been better than Signature Ford.
* Automatic is excellent
** Has a g-load sensor that tells the transmission not to upshift when the car is cornering hard
** Shifts rapidly
** downshifts intelligently
** paddle shifters!
* 184 hp/185 lb-ft. 0 - 60 mph in 7.2 s. Quarter mile at 91 mph (Car and Driver)
* gorgeous inside and out. I love the new 3 interior, especially in Almond leather.
* I love the steering wheel
* I like the Commander Control Dial interface in the center console
* better steering than my Focus (but softer suspension)
* you can disable stability control
* Tech the 3s GT comes with (without the Tech Package) that my Focus doesnt have:
* blind spot monitoring with rear cross traffic alert
* auto-adjusting bi-Xenon HID headlights
* auto-aiming headlights
* LED taillights
* those cool light bars over the headlights and taillights
* heated side view mirrors
* LED daytime running lights
* heated front seats (not really a plus in my book)
* rearview camera
* HUD (not sure how I feel about this one, yet)
* Aha (really cool), Stitcher, Pandora apps and control through phone app.

Cons
* Financial hit (even if Focus is paid off)
* soft suspension with significant body roll
* Boring OEM wheels
* tech my Focus has that the the 3s GT (w/out Tech package) doesnt:
** Doesn't remember play location on USB drives when car is shut off.
** Manual states that you must disconnect USB devices before turning off the car, and wait 15 seconds after starting the car before plugging one in.
** 7 inch display versus 8 inch in Focus
** one-touch power up and down windows at all four doors and moonroof
** subwoofer (but Mazda3 has 9 speakers in the front doors, like my RX-8)
** fancy interior lighting
** Active Torque Vectoring
** automatic door(s) unlocking with a touch of the handle

Both Cars Have
* read text messages to you
* both cars have auto-911 dialing
* both have auto on/off headlights
* both have rain-sensing wipers

I just took the curvy road into work this morning. O M G the difference is incredible. I was giggling like a school girl. The throttle response is instantaneous. That was biggest gripe with the Focus, the throttle was so laggy. Sport Mode is so much fun. The car just wants to go faster. I'm so happy with my purchase.

On the negative side, the left speakers started cutting out on my drive. I must have zigged and zagged a wire loose.

That's a bug, the nav system and some of the warning beeps use the left channel because that's the driver's side. Noticed it the first time I used the nav. Hasn't happened since.

Ooooo, that might be the problem. I noticed that the Nav voice is quite difficult to hear, and I was using the Nav at the time. Thanks for that tip. I may be worried about nothing.

That's a bug, the nav system and some of the warning beeps use the left channel because that's the driver's side. Noticed it the first time I used the nav. Hasn't happened since.

Chibana: For the pros and cons, you should throw in long-term reliability of the Focus and the Mazda 3s. Currently, the Consumer Reports website is showing a full black circle (much worse than average) for the Focus' predicted reliability and a full red circle (much better than average) for the second-generation Mazda 3s'. Of course, there's no guarantee that the new third-generation M3 will follow in its forebear's footsteps, so to speak, but it does seem likely that, down the road, the Focus will be more of a headache and an expense.

Last edited:
I take Consumer Reports with a huge grain of salt. I've owned many Fords and two Mazdas. My Fords have tended to have more nagging little issues, but none of them ever had an engine failure, nor did any of them have major rust issues--two things that plagued my 2005 Mazda3. Every Ford was running strong when I gave up on them with many, many miles. I loved my Mazda3, and it was dead reliable for 4 years and about 140,000 miles. After that, it started falling apart. Some of those issues were the direct result of all of the performance parts I put on or had professionally installed, but not all. I was surprised at just how fast that car decided it was done at around 4 years, and I was appalled at the serious amount of rust so soon, which included gaping holes in the B-pillar part of each rear door. My RX-8, at about 4.5 years and 38,000 miles, has been SERIOUSLY reliable. Hopefully it will stay that way for a long time to come. I plan to keep that car forever. My current Focus has been like other Fords--some annoying minor problems but nothing big. I *am* worried about longevity of the dual-clutch transmission. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at a 2014 Mazda3.

I had a 1997 Ford Mustang that lasted 160,000 miles before I got rid of it with no major issues. I think I got really lucky with that one. My 2008 Mazda3 was awesome until the temp sensor went bad 3 years in and it overheated and melted on the freeway. Got the 2012 Focus and the radiator popped a leak after 2 years. I think reliability is a bit of a crap shoot. Personal anecdotes usually tend to just muddy the waters. Extended warranties are a good thing for the right price.

I'm in the same boat as you: trading a 2012 Focus in for the Mazda 3 sT or sGT.

I have a '12 Focus SEL hatchback right now w/all the options except Nav & Moonroof (does have MFT minus nav). The DCT issues people are having finally made me give up. I figured I could pay now, dump the Focus, and get a new Mazda 3, or I would pay later via clutch replacement with the Focus. The horror stories of people having their clutches replaced under warranty and having the same issues pop up down the road 10k-20k miles later finally pushed me over the edge. The issues I had with the Focus were minor compared to what some people were experiencing (my DCT behaved), but I was always on edge wondering if they were going to intensify.

I'll happily do a comparison once I pick up my car on Tues/Wed. Just excited to get in a car I can get in and drive without worrying about. Sure, reliability on any new model is up in the air, but at least the 2.5L powerplant has been around the block in the CX-5.

Last edited:
I'm trying to be rational and reasonable about this, but the fact is, none of my car purchase have ever been rational! I've been a completely obsessed car nut since I was old enough to collect Hot Wheels. I want to be back into a Mazda as my daily driver so badly that I'm going to drive myself nuts until I buy a new Mazda3.

I'm trying to be rational and reasonable about this, but the fact is, none of my car purchase have ever been rational! I've been a completely obsessed car nut since I was old enough to collect Hot Wheels. I want to be back into a Mazda as my daily driver so badly that I'm going to drive myself nuts until I buy a new Mazda3.
Well if its going to drive you nuts, then I say go for the Mazda 3. It's for your mental health and that's a reasonable reason :D.

I never liked that Focus transmission either, it's the worst sort of DCT, one that's trying to be an automatic. I prefer SkyActiv, which is an automatic trying to be a DCT. That and the horrible rear legroom in the Focus turned me off fairly quickly. Though it did handle nicely.

Back