May 2018 Sales USA

Right, so you guessed and just happened to be right. You didn't post the actual figures or anything, aka, you didn't actually answer his question.

Yrwei, I like you, but seriously in this case you and him are both guilty of "didn't read". Let's move on.
No, I didn't "guess" on the answer, but I used my common sense. Yeah we shall move on.

Actually I like you too and happy to see you started doing the oil change by yourself. Most younger generations are totally not interested in DIY for their vehicle.

Actually I like you too and happy to see you started doing the oil change by yourself. Most younger generations are totally not interested in DIY for their vehicle.

Well, it's been the time I've spent on this forum and circumstances that forced my hand to learn how to do some things myself, and also learn how to better take care of my car.

As someone who bought with the intention to own it for as long as it will go, it made sense for me to take a more proactive approach with personal involvement in the proper maintenance of the car, though there are some things that I found too intimidating to do or at least less easy to do with the limited space I have at my condo. But I figure the more I practice on the easier things, continue to learn other things, etc. then the more I will eventually feel comfortable doing. (thumb)

On Toyota Camry - people are confusing sales numbers and reliability with Build Quality.
Build Quality does not only dictate that your controls / etc work well over 200-300K miles - but also the materials inside the cabin age gracefully and last longer.
Everything inside a camry is hard plastic - thankfully seats and center armrest are exceptions. It will be a creak fest by 150K miles. It does not age gracefully.
Same drivetrain is in Camry hybrid and Avalon Hybrid - Camry is a cabbie fav. in NYC etc. - but the Avalon will outlast it because its built to be better in every way possible.

Id like to be in here. Outside styling in 13 is not great though not as offensive as the 19.
2013-Toyota-Avalon-Limited-015.jpg

Looks like a fine place for a long nap..
new camry>>new avalon at least in terms of looks..camry def comes off as trying too hard but at least trying, new avalon is just bad.
Nope.. sedans I'd want to be in are 4 series GC and Alfa Giulia in the 40k neighborhood and they have RWD..I'd 1000% take a 6 gt reserve and pocket a crap load of change vs an Avalon of any year.

⋯ As someone who bought with the intention to own it for as long as it will go, it made sense for me to take a more proactive approach with personal involvement in the proper maintenance of the car, though there are some things that I found too intimidating to do or at least less easy to do with the limited space I have at my condo. But I figure the more I practice on the easier things, continue to learn other things, etc. then the more I will eventually feel comfortable doing. (thumb)
I believe most DIYers are started from oil change! You'll be getting better expanding into more complex maintenance tasks with more tools you have. If you intend to own your vehicle for as long as it will go, DIY quality maintenance is almost a must! :)

I believe most DIYers are started from oil change! You'll be getting better expanding into more complex maintenance tasks with more tools you have. If you intend to own your vehicle for as long as it will go, DIY quality maintenance is almost a must! :)

Next up will be learning how to change the spark plugs at 75k miles. I'm approaching 67k now, so a little while to go still.

Well, it's been the time I've spent on this forum and circumstances that forced my hand to learn how to do some things myself, and also learn how to better take care of my car.

As someone who bought with the intention to own it for as long as it will go, it made sense for me to take a more proactive approach with personal involvement in the proper maintenance of the car, though there are some things that I found too intimidating to do or at least less easy to do with the limited space I have at my condo. But I figure the more I practice on the easier things, continue to learn other things, etc. then the more I will eventually feel comfortable doing. (thumb)

Hey did you ever find spot to do your oil changes?

Next up will be learning how to change the spark plugs at 75k miles. I'm approaching 67k now, so a little while to go still.
Changing spark plugs is easy on a 4-cylinder engine. The most dangerous part is you over-tighten the plug and strip the thread. Consider getting a torque wrench even a cheap one from Harbor Freight Tools is better than nothing. A made for spark plug 9/16" deep socket is more convenient to grab the plug out and put the new plug back in. Of course a decision has to be made if you want a lot more expensive OEM plugs or NGK plugs.

Changing spark plugs is easy on a 4-cylinder engine. The most dangerous part is you over-tighten the plug and strip the thread. Consider getting a torque wrench even a cheap one from Harbor Freight Tools is better than nothing. A made for spark plug 9/16" deep socket is more convenient to grab the plug out and put the new plug back in. Of course a decision has to be made if you want a lot more expensive OEM plugs or NGK plugs.

Sears is constantly having their Craftsman torque wrenches on sale. Looks to have really good quality too. I think my cousin got one for $39.99 or so. Otherwise yeah my hand tools are mixed: Craftsman and Harbor Freight.

I went ahead and did it in my garage. Very tight fit, but I managed. I got ramps instead of jacks.

Ramps are cooler :) That said I recommend getting wheel chokes if you don;t already have them. Got mine from Harbor Freight a while back. You can score on their jack stands too when on sale or with coupons.

I can't remember where I purchased my spark plug 9/16" deep socket and wrench from...Possibly O'Reilly's.

Sears is constantly having their Craftsman torque wrenches on sale. Looks to have really good quality too. I think my cousin got one for $39.99 or so. Otherwise yeah my hand tools are mixed: Craftsman and Harbor Freight.

Ramps are cooler :) That said I recommend getting wheel chokes if you don;t already have them. Got mine from Harbor Freight a while back. You can score on their jack stands too when on sale or with coupons.

I can't remember where I purchased my spark plug 9/16" deep socket and wrench from...Possibly O'Reilly's.

Yep, got my wheel chocks at Harbor Freight. Also a torque wrench. I was paranoid about under/over tightening the drain plug back on.

But I will need that deep socket for the spark plugs. So how does that work, is it magnetic or something so the sparkplugs come out with the wrench? Guess I should watch a video.

Yep, got my wheel chocks at Harbor Freight. Also a torque wrench. I was paranoid about under/over tightening the drain plug back on.

But I will need that deep socket for the spark plugs. So how does that work, is it magnetic or something so the sparkplugs come out with the wrench? Guess I should watch a video.

Some tips:

I recall using black electric tape to secure the socket unto my extension that connects to the wrench. Avoids the problem of pulling out the spark plug only the socket got firmly attached to it :( meaning you can't pull out the spark plug AND your sock is stuck in there.

I used a tiny tiny bit of anti-seize.

Don't force new plugs into threads, let it turn in there nice and easy by hand. Then refer to torque specs.

Last edited:
It has a neoprene insert deep inside that "grabs" the insulator. If you're buying just one socket and not a set, make sure it has the insert.

Nah, it's just a tight fit.

Some tips:

I recall using black electric tape to secure the socket unto my extension that connects to the wrench. Avoids the problem of pulling out the spark plug only the socket got firmly attached to it :( meaning you can't pull out the spark plug AND your sock is stuck in there.

I used a tiny tiny bit of anti-seize.

Don't force new plugs into threads, let it turn in there nice and easy by hand. Then refer to torque specs.

It has a neoprene insert deep inside that "grabs" the insulator. If you're buying just one socket and not a set, make sure it has the insert.

Perfect. Thanks all.

Sorry if this is obvious, CD, but remember you need the right size drive, too, to fit your ratchet. 1/2" is best for cars if you only have one set, but eventually you'll want 3/8 and 1/4, too, and full sets of regular and deep sockets, SAE and metric, 6 and 12 point, swivels, etc, etc. You can't have too many tools!

Called it on the 6... sales tanked in March because people were waiting on the new 6.

And now 3 sales are 'tanking' as it's near EOL and people are waiting on the next gen 'Kai' versions with 'X' motors and possibly AWD etc.

Pretty much in line with worldwide trend toward SUVs which can only be a good thing for Mazda. Not surprised the Mazda 3 and Miata is on the wane due to the trend. All manuafacturers will have their strong and weak sales products. Looking at it from a glass half full...

Miata is getting powerful engine. 3 is getting skyX. Remember when dodge pulled trigger on dart and Chrysler 200. It was hard to move them. Mazda handles media very awkwardly. AA fiasco/Diesel promises etc. Most other makers don't faff around this much.

Back