Maximum Limit on number of MP4 songs on USB Stick?

Hello,

I have a Mazda CX 5, 2021 Touring Edition. I have a large MP4 music collection (about 17 thousand songs) that I put on a 512 GB USB stick, formatted as FAT 32. It's about 131 GB in total size. The entertainment system reads the USB stick and I can play the songs, shuffle them, etc. However, not all of the songs are appearing. A large number of songs (not sure how many) don't appear. So I'm wondering if there is an upper limit on the number of songs the entertainment system can handle and will actually read and let you use. If anyone has any information on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Not sure what you're referring to, but here are the properties of a random track I ripped into flac.

View attachment 303604
I'm referring to it's high res playback capabilities. If you're just looking for CD quality, like you show above, I'm sure there's no downgrade. A lot of manufactures will play up to 192kHz/24bit, but will down convert to 48kHz/24bit. I'm pretty sure with the stock system it would not be noticeable, but just curious.

Upvote 0
I stand corrected. I use a program called EAC (Exact Audio Copy). When I have a new USB stick I first format it, which defaults to FAT32 before I transfer the audio files that are saved in a folder on my desktop. The files are recorded from the CD drive using the EAC program and I select Copy Selected Tracks (Uncompressed) and it transfers them to the desktop folder in WAV format. I then transfer those WAV format files to the USB stick.

But my 2019 CX 5 still won't recognize a 64gb USB stick, and from Section 5-36 of the owners manual:
This unit does not support a USB 3.0 device. In addition, other devices may not be
supported depending on the model or OS version.
The recommended capacity of the USB memory is 16 GB or less.
USB devices formatted to FAT32 are supported (USB devices formatted to other formats
such as NTFS are not supported).
Hi, guyzes. After much trial and error, I made some progress in this USB audio field. My 2018 cx5 grand touring has these limits with USB I and 2 for music.
I currently use a 128GB USB 2.0 ($14.00 at best buy).. flash drive. Loaded with 19.2GB of mp3 320kbps. and it works fine.
let's straighten some misconceptions. (1) USB 3 drives are not compatible with the car's USB 2 ports.
(it's compatible with computer ports). USB 3 ports can read USB 3 and USB 2 drives.
There is a file limit on the Mazda USB port that is designed to use USB 2 drives. Some suggested 16GB, but I was able to load 19.2GB of music on my 128Gb drive and it plays. ( before when I had initially loaded 27GB of music, it would read the drive, start to play and disconnect, and return to radio.
It works now.
( I would like to say the Bose system is overrated, I heard much better).

Upvote 0
Hello,

I have a Mazda CX 5, 2021 Touring Edition. I have a large MP4 music collection (about 17 thousand songs) that I put on a 512 GB USB stick, formatted as FAT 32. It's about 131 GB in total size. The entertainment system reads the USB stick and I can play the songs, shuffle them, etc. However, not all of the songs are appearing. A large number of songs (not sure how many) don't appear. So I'm wondering if there is an upper limit on the number of songs the entertainment system can handle and will actually read and let you use. If anyone has any information on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Hi, guyzes. After much trial and error, I made some progress in this USB audio field. My 2018 cx5 grand touring has these limits with USB I and 2 for music.
I currently use a 128GB USB 2.0 ($14.00 at best buy).. flash drive. Loaded with 19.2GB of mp3 320kbps. and it works fine. Doesn't read some extensions ....(Flac etc). manual says mp3 and wma.
let's straighten some misconceptions. (1) USB 3 drives are not compatible with the car's USB 2 ports.
(it's compatible with computer ports). USB 3 ports can read USB 3 and USB 2 drives.
There is a file limit on the Mazda USB port that is designed to use USB 2 drives. Some suggested 16GB, but I was able to load 19.2GB of music on my 128Gb drive and it plays. ( before when I had initially loaded 27GB of music, it would read the drive, start to play and disconnect, and return to radio.
It works now.
I would assume any model after 2018 would have more compatability.

Upvote 0
My owner's manual says something about 32gb (formatted w/FAT32) being the limit on the size of the USB drive. I've never had an issue using that size.
I currently use a 128GB USB 2.0 ($14.00 at best buy).. flash drive. Loaded with 19.2GB of mp3 320kbps. and it works fine. Doesn't read some extensions ....(Flac etc). manual says mp3 and wma.
It works now.
I would assume any model after 2018 would have more compatibility.

Upvote 0
Check the formatting of the 64GB drive, the radio only recognizes FAT32, I'm guessing your drive is formatted as NTFS.
It works now.
I would assume any model after 2018 would have more compatibility.

Upvote 0
Back