2017~2024 Mastercraft Courser HSX Tour Ordered

"Unless the room the tire is in is filled with Nitrogen"

Well we were all giggling a lot while the instalation was performed so perhaps it was. No charge for it appeared on the bill so I think it was "no charge". The shop asked me to stop by at least once a month so they could top off if necessary so if I follow their advise I'll never need to top up with air.

Giggling? If the room had been filled with Nitrogen you wouldn't be giggling for long...

Well I've been driving with the Mastercrafts now for a month or so. Mostly low speed mountain road and city driving but did make a three hour road trip on a higher speed highway last week. On that trip I could test road noise and perceived no difference from the original equipment Toyo tires they replaced. They've demonstrated excellent traction on rain slicked pavement and my seat of the pants impression is they have somewhat better traction on unpaved roads. In short I am entirely pleased so far. So I am totally befuddled by a series of online reviews that give them terrible marks complaining loadly (pun intended) about awful road noise. Maybe they will get louder with wear but only time will tell.

Looking at the maintenance records for the last two vehicles I've owned before the CX-5 I see I got 20,000 to 23,000 kilometers out of Firestone and Sumitomo tires on a Nissan 4x4 pickup (curb weight: 4278 lbs,) then a whopping 79,000 kilometers out of a set of Michelins on a Renault Duster 4x4 (curb weight: 2722lbs.). The latter vehicle is of course much lighter than the Nissan. Then as I've posted above with picture I got a measly 15,000 kilometers out of the stock Toyos on my year old CX-5 AWD (curb weight: 3541lbs. All of this on the exact same roads including un paved. I will see how these Mastercrafts hold up but to my mind something is rotten at Toyo.

Back