Master Slave Cylinder question...

SadPenguin

:
2001 Mazda Miata MX-5 LS (NB)
So I've been running into some issues with my clutch when trying to shift into 1st/reverse. From what I am being told it is the Master Slave Cylinder... Now I'm fairly new to wrenching & working on a Miata so when I replace the Master Slave Cylinder is there a Slave Cylinder that I should replace? If so any ideas where to get both? I was thinking of going the OEM route... Any and all help is much appreciated

Hi the master is on the end of the clutch pedal and the slave is on the gearbox end connected to the clutch.Its normally the slave that gives the problems and is normally the cheaper out of the two if you can see the slave cylinder there is a rubber dust cover where the metal rod comes out the middle just peel back the rubber end if it looks wet theres your problem.If you need any advice on bleeding the system PM me thanks go for OEM parts

I'd start with the slave first as recommended. Bleeding can be done just like bleeding brakes. I like the two man method.

My 96 NA (before it was totaled) had a little issue with the same. I found that shifting into another gear (holding the clutch in) sometimes would help line up the gears to help it slot in. Remember that your reverse has no synchro, so the only thing that lines up those gears to allow you to shift into reverse is dumb luck or the above mentioned trick.

Appreciate the tips... I plan on going to my local Mazda dealer to get prices and move on from there! I will keep you all updated in case I run into any problems...

Back