Marvel vs Techron

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Hello,
I’m the happy owner of a 2017 CX-5 GT with 24700 miles on the gauge. I typically fill the fuel tank with Top Tier Mobil 89 Octane. On the last “near fill up” the pump at the station was erratically slow taking almost 10 minutes to add a gallon. I went to another pump and same problem. No other customer had the issue with 87 or regular. So I suspect their 89 was literally at the bottom of the barrel. I wonder if I may have inadvertently picked up some sediment or contaminants at a near empty underground tank at the station. I subsequently filled up at another station across the street (Cumberland Farms) with no fill up issues. So finally getting to my question. As a precaution, would anyone recommend Marvel Mystery Oil, Techron or some other Fuel cleaner additive? Please advise, and cheers.

Not that I am in any way knowledgeable, but I don't see how a fuel system cleaner will clean grit. It's my understanding they are mostly for "gummy" type cleanings.

Hello,
I’m the happy owner of a 2017 CX-5 GT with 24700 miles on the gauge. I typically fill the fuel tank with Top Tier Mobil 89 Octane. On the last “near fill up” the pump at the station was erratically slow taking almost 10 minutes to add a gallon. I went to another pump and same problem. No other customer had the issue with 87 or regular. So I suspect their 89 was literally at the bottom of the barrel. I wonder if I may have inadvertently picked up some sediment or contaminants at a near empty underground tank at the station. I subsequently filled up at another station across the street (Cumberland Farms) with no fill up issues. So finally getting to my question. As a precaution, would anyone recommend Marvel Mystery Oil, Techron or some other Fuel cleaner additive? Please advise, and cheers.

The pumps don't 'run slow' because of the tanks being low or nearly empty. They run slow because the inline fuel filter(s) are in need of replacement.

If the OP picked up a bunch of suspended solids from a near empty storage tank, his fuel filter likely retained all the trash. Replacing the filter makes much more sense than adding a product to the fuel which is designed to remove “varnish” and similar deposits in the fuel system. If performance and economy are unchanged I’d not be too worried…but I would consider monitoring both.

Back