M012 20” Mazda Wheels

I have a 21 GT awd and am considering upgrading to the Mazda M012 wheels that are sold in Canada. Anyone here have them or have experience with them? I was told that they weigh 24lbs and that they’re load rated to 1797 lbs which should be fine. I’m not sure why they’re not sold in the USA. Anyone with lighter wheels notice any difference in driving/braking/mpg?

I put aftermarket wheels on my 2018 - each wheel weighed about 4-5 lbs less compared to the 20" OEM wheel/tire combo. I noticed a very slight, almost imperceptible improvement in acceleration, but no change in mileage. The car handles better, but that's just because of the wider aftermarket wheels I think. The OEM 20" rim weighs 39.55 lbs, so if you are dropping 15 lbs of unsprung weight per corner by switching to the M012 wheels, the difference should be much more noticeable. Are you also switching to different tires?

I put aftermarket wheels on my 2018 - each wheel weighed about 4-5 lbs less compared to the 20" OEM wheel/tire combo. I noticed a very slight, almost imperceptible improvement in acceleration, but no change in mileage. The car handles better, but that's just because of the wider aftermarket wheels I think. The OEM 20" rim weighs 39.55 lbs, so if you are dropping 15 lbs of unsprung weight per corner by switching to the M012 wheels, the difference should be much more noticeable. Are you also switching to different tires?
I’m keeping my stock tires for now. I was also wondering why these Mazda wheels are sold in Canada and not the USA.

According to this shop, they are 28 pounds for the 20”. 24 pounds for the 19”. I might be in love with those wheels now though. To ship to my new address, it’s only $90 too. Not bad I don’t think. OEM wheels that will be different from everyone else for the most part. Probably will powder coat or paint bronze though.

Most Mazda option wheels (the wheels sold by the dealers) in Canada are manufactured by FAST. In the states they most likely have a different wheel agreement with a different company.

The M012 is made by Fast.

According to this shop, they are 28 pounds for the 20”. 24 pounds for the 19”. I might be in love with those wheels now though. To ship to my new address, it’s only $90 too. Not bad I don’t think. OEM wheels that will be different from everyone else for the most part. Probably will powder coat or paint bronze though.

Mazdashop is a dealer in the Toronto area. You can buy and pick up the same wheels from your local dealer at no shipping cost.

Got my 20'' M012's installed on my 17 GT last Saturday, completely changes the way it looks compared to the stock ones.

20210919_113740.jpg

It's similar to sm1ke's experience when they went with lighter wheels, there is an imperceptible change in acceleration, fuel economy remains the same, but I notice when turning from a stop (like when getting out of a tight parking spot), it is slightly easier to turn the steering wheel

Angled pic with my weekend warrior :p
20210926_153547.jpg

It's similar to sm1ke's experience when they went with lighter wheels, there is an imperceptible change in acceleration, fuel economy remains the same, but I notice when turning from a stop (like when getting out of a tight parking spot), it is slightly easier to turn the steering wheel

Angled pic with my weekend warrior :pView attachment 303327
Hi ROASTBEEP, would you mind uploading more pictures? There are very few on the internet.
I am upgrading my CX9 2020 touring from 18" to 20", while hesitating between M012 and second-hand 20" Stock wheels.

Thanks a lot!

I have a 21 GT awd and am considering upgrading to the Mazda M012 wheels that are sold in Canada. Anyone here have them or have experience with them? I was told that they weigh 24lbs and that they’re load rated to 1797 lbs which should be fine. I’m not sure why they’re not sold in the USA. Anyone with lighter wheels notice any difference in driving/braking/mpg?
How do you go with the wheel changing? How will you do with the original/stock ones?

Last edited:
Hi ROASTBEEP, would you mind uploading more pictures? There are very few on the internet.
I am upgrading my CX9 2020 touring from 18" to 20", while hesitating between M012 and second-hand 20" Stock wheels.

Thanks a lot!

If you can swing it, I would highly recommend the M012 wheels over the OEM 20s. The OEM 20s weigh 39.55 lbs per rim, not including the tire! They are very heavy, but an added benefit is that they are also very durable (less susceptible to cracks/bends from potholes compared to other wheel designs).

Exactly. Fast make their own wheels, but they also manufacture accessory wheels for OEM. They don’t make the factory wheels, but most of the “Mazda” optional wheels sold at Mazda dealers currently are made by them. I have not seen this advertised online, but the dealership rep told me, and the Fast logo is on the paper booklet for mazda wheels that I picked up at the dealer.

Back