Lug Nuts

Anathema

:
CX-5
So from what I can gather the 2013-2015 CX-5 take 12 X 1.5 thread size. The part I am having trouble figuring out is if the lug nuts for the OEM wheels need to tapered or if they need to be rounded? I want to replace the OEM lugs since they cost a ridiculous amount per lug and I want to get rid of the locking wheel nuts. Always seem they either get cracked or plugged with grit/salt in the winter. Would rather not have to try to remove them after cracking them.

Anyways I am looking through http://www.gorilla-auto.com/pdf/GAG10.pdf and it's not immediately clear to me what kind of seat the OEM wheels accept... Anyone else been through this for the OEM wheels? It seems astounding that it's not really listed anywhere online and I can't seem to find anything from the manufacturer either :(

So from what I can gather the 2013-2015 CX-5 take 12 X 1.5 thread size. The part I am having trouble figuring out is if the lug nuts for the OEM wheels need to tapered or if they need to be rounded? I want to replace the OEM lugs since they cost a ridiculous amount per lug and I want to get rid of the locking wheel nuts. Always seem they either get cracked or plugged with grit/salt in the winter. Would rather not have to try to remove them after cracking them.

Anyways I am looking through http://www.gorilla-auto.com/pdf/GAG10.pdf and it's not immediately clear to me what kind of seat the OEM wheels accept... Anyone else been through this for the OEM wheels? It seems astounding that it's not really listed anywhere online and I can't seem to find anything from the manufacturer either :(

What kind of shape are your lock nuts? Are you looking to just get 4 more non locking nuts? I'll trade you if that's the case.

Lug nuts are a regular tapered 60degree nut. Nothing special :)

You 12x1.5 size is also correct.

Exactly right, I put some black stainless steel tuner lug nuts on mine with matching locking lugs. I bought them from Jegs performance online for $25-$30 if I remember correctly. Very common size and type of lug nut with many options available.

I just bought 4 OEM lug nuts to replace the stupid "locks". Cost was about $20. When I bought my 6 in 2009 the extra nuts were in the glove box, not so with my 2014 CX-5.

I have the Gorilla acorns. Much stronger steel than the factory chrome lugs at a cheap price. Especially important if one removes and installs wheels often because the factory steel will visibly shear at the edge and leading threads. Unfortunately, the Gorilla lug finishes are easily chipped by the spline socket.

I have the Gorilla acorns. Much stronger steel than the factory chrome lugs at a cheap price. Especially important if one removes and installs wheels often because the factory steel will visibly shear at the edge and leading threads. Unfortunately, the Gorilla lug finishes are easily chipped by the spline socket.

I used to manage a Big name tire shop. We sold all kinds of lug nuts but the number one selling brand by miles was Gorilla. I don't like spline drive, they are only good for dual drill wheels with small diameter lug holes the new (tuner lug) if you want. The best are the regular acorn conical seat lug nut. If you want security the lock set they sell is great and comes with a sticker code to order a back up key. The spline drive have no security however they do sell a key set spline drive mark with a little g on the end but it's kinda odd to use. Also the spline keys are weak.
[video]http://www.gorilla-auto.com/small-diameter-locks[/video]
http://www.gorilla-auto.com/small-diameter-locks

Last edited:
I only use the Gorilla lugs on my RX-8 for its track wheels. The small diameter of the spline drive is required. No concerns about security since the RX-8 is never exposed to theft.

Haven't shopped for any lugs based on security alone. But I believe that if the thief is knowledgeable and want your wheels enough, the thief will be able to crack ANY lug loose with ease.

Last edited:
i bought the Gorilla Locks too. I found when I reinstalled my wheels after Plasti-dipping them, the tire iron rubbed against the wheel, tearing up the dip. By getting 20 locking nuts, the key never contact the wheel. Perfect fix for 30$. Plus the black lugs look nice on the gunmetal dipped wheels.

I just bought 4 OEM lug nuts to replace the stupid "locks". Cost was about $20. When I bought my 6 in 2009 the extra nuts were in the glove box, not so with my 2014 CX-5.

I had to go back to the dealer, too, when I realized they kept the lug nuts when they installed the wheel locks. I guess at $20 it's a good secondary revenue stream for them. :)

Latest posts

Back