lower grill removal

thecrash91

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
what do you guys do after you remove the grill? i did and there are 4 very unattractive tabs as well as i think 3-4 veritcal lines coming down in the middle, do you guys cut them off? the vertical lines i could live with but the tabs? BLAH. i think someone like dg should make a fiberglass lower grill like their upper grill, so you can take the mesh out and the lower grill only covers the tabs and outlines where there is no grill. kinda confusing how i explained it but that s*** happens to me all the time(braindead

actually you have a valid point. Most guys cut off the tabs. mine are still in place. I toss the lower grill back on in the winter to save my intercooler some from salt rocks on the highway. But a lower CF grill would look pretty sick. Even if it was just the outline and clipped into the stock location something like this without the plate and mesh
DSCK1006.JPG

im thinkin about having someone who has connections with isport or something start a gi thread =] id definitely be interested in one, pending it be about 150 bucks though. but isport makes good quality stuff so low price isnt going to happen lol

mine was easy to remove.. i hit a dog going 60 mph and my grill came right off no problems! lol the sad part is that a dog died in the process.. but since my front bumper is screwed up and back bumper is scratched i'm thinking about getting a new body kit! at least that's my excuse for a new body kit..

I just cut all the lines and tabs off, those things being in the way of my intercooler made me sad. But they are gone now :D

I just cut all the lines and tabs off, those things being in the way of my intercooler made me sad. But they are gone now :D

I just installed my FMIC and would like to remove the lower grill cover and cut all the tabs and verticle plastic supports.

The verticle lines appear to be supports. For those that have cut the verticle supports have you experienced the lower lip sagging?

Can anyone tell me how to remove the lower grill and not damage any clips? I need to take it off so I can straighten the fins on the AC condenser. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me how to remove the lower grill and not damage any clips? I need to take it off so I can straighten the fins on the AC condenser. Thanks!

grab and pull, its only snapped in the 4 corners and a few smaller clips on the 3 bars in the middle. Very simple to remove

grab and pull, its only snapped in the 4 corners and a few smaller clips on the 3 bars in the middle. Very simple to remove

Correct but be gentle as these plastic parts are 11 years old and you may break a clip during the process if you torque it.

online mazda parts.com, ebay, this forum, facebook parts groups, junkyard, dealership, etc.

Back