Low speed popping sounds from beneath the vehicle

I took the CX-9 into a different dealership for service, as well as to replace the center console yet again for the deformed foam cushions. I had a service tech ride along with me and confirmed the issue with the low speed popping sounds. The tech found a TSB that applied to CX-7s and pre-2010 CX-9s about replacing front struts. After the tech replaced the front struts, the issue still exists. The tech is now escalating the issue to Mazda Corporate to get guidance on how to resolve the issue.

Tech worked on the vehicle pretty much the entire day. Apparently, he was in constant contact with Mazda Corporate regarding the issue. Their diagnosis lead them to the engine mounts transmitting the popping sounds to the front struts. Hence, they will replace the engine mounts to see if it clears the issue. Parts arrive on Friday.

Issue seems to have been resolved

As per instructions of Mazda Techline to the Service Technician, the #3 engine mount was replaced and the issue seems to have been fixed. Here are the part numbers used:

TD11-34-380B Rubber, MTG
TD11-39-06Y Rubber No. 3, En

I hope this helps other folks that are/were having this issue.

Good to know.
I did not know that bad engine mounts actually make popping noises.
I would have guessed some sort of rough vibrations when idling.

As per instructions of Mazda Techline to the Service Technician, the #3 engine mount was replaced and the issue seems to have been fixed. Here are the part numbers used:

TD11-34-380B Rubber, MTG

I hope this helps other folks that are/were having this issue.

Wow same issue here. Our CX-9 has been at the dealership for two days with this problem. They also called Mazda Corp and were told to replace the motor mount. The only issue is that the part is in California, so they will have my car for a couple more days.

How many miles are on yours? I have 57K and will be covered under the 60K powertrain warranty.

Motor mount replaced, tech tested and its still making the sound. After 1 week, still no car!

Wow same issue here. Our CX-9 has been at the dealership for two days with this problem. They also called Mazda Corp and were told to replace the motor mount. The only issue is that the part is in California, so they will have my car for a couple more days.

How many miles are on yours? I have 57K and will be covered under the 60K powertrain warranty.

Our CX-9 has 22,000 miles only. Popping sounds have not returned. I have renewed enthusiasm about driving our CX-9. It's so smooth now.

Last edited:
Motor mount replaced, tech tested and its still making the sound. After 1 week, still no car!

I would insist on having them replace ALL the motor mounts. But, yeah, it sucks not to have the vehicle for a long time. My dealership gave me a loaner while they had the vehicle.

They are going to look at the struts again (they replaced the strut bearing last month), then look at the axle. The tech is stumped! They gave me a loaner car last Friday, so that's a plus.

They are going to look at the struts again (they replaced the strut bearing last month), then look at the axle. The tech is stumped! They gave me a loaner car last Friday, so that's a plus.

Wow. At the time that our CX-9 was being serviced, the tech was in live contact with Mazda Corporate when he was diagnosing the issue. He said that Mazda advised him to use some instrument to isolate the origin of the noise. That was when they were able to find out that one of the motor mounts had to be replaced. The tech also replaced the struts first, but that did not solve the issue.

They hooked up the same instrument to our car. I just got a call from the service advisor, he said they'll need it for at least 1-2 more days. They are now trying to fix by "trial and error". They are going to replace parts until the noise stops.. (thought)

They hooked up the same instrument to our car. I just got a call from the service advisor, he said they'll need it for at least 1-2 more days. They are now trying to fix by "trial and error". They are going to replace parts until the noise stops.. (thought)

OK. At least the dealer is doing what they can to resolve your issue. The bright side is that you'll get new parts for your CX-9. :) Hang in there.

After 2.5 weeks, its finally ready. They replaced the motor mount, axle, and re-checked the suspension. I am hoping this fixes the problem, my patience with this car is wearing thin and we are thinking of trading it if anything else goes wrong.

After 2.5 weeks, its finally ready. They replaced the motor mount, axle, and re-checked the suspension. I am hoping this fixes the problem, my patience with this car is wearing thin and we are thinking of trading it if anything else goes wrong.

I understand the frustration, I felt the same way about ours when we had this issue. Hopefully, it is fixed. If not, I can't blame you for seeking a replacement. Trouble is, for me, there really isn't a viable replacement unless I spent more money for something like an MDX or the new Infiniti JX. Actually, the JX isn't that sporty of a ride, compared to the CX-9. The only other option is to see how the upcoming 7-seater Hyundai Santa Fe LWB is going to drive. The upcoming Nissan Pathfinder would also be an option, but I really do not like the CVT that Nissan will use on it. Anyway, good luck and I am hoping it is fixed.

Any outcome... did they replace your entire suspension? I'm also noticing some very light popping noises. Mainly under 10mph when turning sharply to left or right, i.e. turning into parking lot spaces or driveway with foot off the brake. It is more just a light almost un noticeable nuisance. Could be cv joints, stabilizer bar links, motor mount(s), who knows. I just turned 50k on Sunday, so I've got 10k left on the powertrain warranty....wondering if I should bring it in or wait and see if it gets worse.

Ditto helbigtw. Same noise and I hear it with the slow turns, like backing out of the driveway. 54k on my 07 and unfortunately the power train is up. Oddly enough I have the same issue on my 04 3s and its been like that for about 3 years, no better no worse.

Mine hasn't manifested the issue since the dealership replaced the following:

TD11-34-380B Rubber, MTG

I have 25K on the vehicle so far.

They replaced the same in mine, in addition they also replaced my LF Axle. So far so good. I would get it checked while its under warranty

Mine hasn't manifested the issue since the dealership replaced the following:

TD11-34-380B Rubber, MTG

I have 25K on the vehicle so far.

I have an '07 CX9. Heard pop-pop-pop noise backing out of driveway and turning corner at low speed. Always turning wheels to the right. Thought the cv joints were bad & took to dealer for repair. Dealer removed front axles and greased the splines two weeks ago. Popping noise is gone for now.

Back