Low speed popping sounds from beneath the vehicle

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature, Machine Grey Metallic
At low speeds, there are some (the best word I can use to describe it) popping sounds emanating from under the vehicle. I usually hear it when the windows are closed and the vehicle is turning. I also hear it when going over roads that are less than perfect, but not pothole-ridden, just little ruts. Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Are you doing tight turns when it happens? Is it a pop pop sound or more like tire slipping on the pavement?

I hear it mostly doing right turns. It does not sound like tire slipping. It's more like the suspension doing some popping sounds. Yesterday, at a parking lot trying to find a spot and doing a number of right hand turns, the popping sound was quite prevalent. The parking lot surface was quite pocked also.

Could be the bearing.

Apparently, the symptom of a bearing issue is that the CX-9 starts sounding like a large 4X4 knobby tire, and increases in sound as you accelerate. I currently don't observe this behavior. However, I will have it checked when I schedule an appointment for the center console padding (again).

Or could it be the bump stops on the front struts that need to be lubed?

I will bring this up as well. I think I can reproduce the sounds at the dealership parking lot since their parking lot is not very smooth.

CV joints make this kind of noise when they start to go bad. They also tend to get noisier when you are turning.

Hi crikey,
Did you ever resolve this issue (popping noise), if yes what was the solution?
I have exactly the same problem with my 2010 CX-9 GT and I took it to the dealers 4 times
(two different dealerships) and every time I show them car it doesn't make this popping sound. I can't blame them, I took two test drives with mechanic and at that moment everything was fine.
I suspect it could be a strut mounts or even engine mounts, because to me it sounds like a heavy rubber part which doesn't tight completely robbing slightly over the metal (body of the car).

Funny you should ask coz I was about to make an appointment to have the dealer look at it. I suspect that it has something to do with the front brakes. I'll insist on getting the tech for a ride along.

Hi crikey,
Did you ever resolve this issue (popping noise), if yes what was the solution?
I have exactly the same problem with my 2010 CX-9 GT and I took it to the dealers 4 times
(two different dealerships) and every time I show them car it doesn't make this popping sound. I can't blame them, I took two test drives with mechanic and at that moment everything was fine.
I suspect it could be a strut mounts or even engine mounts, because to me it sounds like a heavy rubber part which doesn't tight completely robbing slightly over the metal (body of the car).

I don't think it's a front brakes, because popping sound coming out even when you press brake pedal.

I don't think it's a front brakes, because popping sound coming out even when you press brake pedal.

It may not be front brakes, specifically. But, it seems like it has something to do with the braking system because, just like you stated, the sound comes out when you press brake pedal. And when you press the brake pedal, the braking system is usually engaged. I also notice that the sound comes out when going over small bumps or something that might work the front struts. So, the front suspension might also be a source of the issue. I say the front area coz I seem to hear it more when my front windows are down. Mine seems to come from the passenger-side, underneath the vehicle.

Take 30 minutes, jack up and support the front and lube the foam rubber bump stops on the strut shafts. You'll be surprised! Trust me, I was skeptical of this fix when our CX9 made that noise.

Finally found time to get our CX-9 to the dealership. Center console was being replaced for the 2nd time. Asked service advisor to have a service tech do a ride-along with me. The service tech heard the low speed popping sounds. He was unable to make a diagnosis. He requested to leave the CX-9 and will try his best to identify the issue before end of day.

Finally found time to get our CX-9 to the dealership. Center console was being replaced for the 2nd time. Asked service advisor to have a service tech do a ride-along with me. The service tech heard the low speed popping sounds. He was unable to make a diagnosis. He requested to leave the CX-9 and will try his best to identify the issue before end of day.

After leaving the CX-9 for 3 days, the tech was unable to narrow down the source of the issue. He says he will need more time to diagnose and that I should leave the vehicle again next week. I think I will start going to another dealership.

After leaving the CX-9 for 3 days, the tech was unable to narrow down the source of the issue. He says he will need more time to diagnose and that I should leave the vehicle again next week. I think I will start going to another dealership.

How did this work out and is the issue covered under the powertrain warranty?

How did this work out and is the issue covered under the powertrain warranty?

Sorry, but I haven't had the time to have the CX-9 checked out by another dealership. It does not seem to be a safety issue, more like a nuisance.

Latest posts

Back