Lost key options

we might have lost one of the keyless-entry fobs for our 2015 S-GT. My dealer is simply a major hassle to deal with (pun intended), so are there any third-party options for getting a new one? As I see it, there are three things that have to be done:

- Buy the keyfob itself.
- Program it to the car.
- Cut the removable emergency key.

I would like to find someplace that can take care of everything, but I do see that keys are available from a few online sites. Anyone else gone through this? Not like the days when you could run up to your hardware store and get a new key cut for a couple bucks!

The previous owner of my MX5 tried the eBay route with no success. He asked the dealership to program it and they told him that the eBay fob would not sync correctly.

We only have two dealers anywhere close by, and the lower of the two quoted "about $280" for the part and whole process. But fortunately, the lost fob showed up in a most unexpected way last night, so it's all moot for now. I do think that I'm going to put a bright-colored keychain fob on it now so it's a bit harder to misplace and easier to spot!

I've had that happen a few times with my cell phone. I guess that's why I refuse to spend $600+ for one.

The FOBs cost about $300-$400 to replace. I don't know of any third party ones.

Back