Looking to buy Mazda for the first time. Which of the 2 should I choose?

Hi everyone,

Not really sure where to post, but here it goes. I am buying a first (new) car in 10+ years. After a lot, and I mean a lot of youtube videos, forums, articles, it came down to these 2:
  • CX-30 GT Plus MT (all extras except leather seats) 186PS FWD
  • 6 sedan 2.5 AT (as above, all extras except leather) 194PS FWD
Both are Soul Red and with some magic from my bank and employer, both would weirdly cost me more or less the same. I am fairly familiar with pros & cons for both, and am extremely unhappy that MT is not available in the 6 and with this engine.

I would be really happy to hear your thoughts on which would you choose, and if you have the time, why.

Some more context:
- city dweller with seasonal longer vacation trips and weekend getaways (approx. 6 x 300 - 600 kms)
- at least one yearly travel within EU limits (approx. 1000 - 2000 kms)
- mountain roads almost every weekend (hiking and winter sports)
- minimal city commute (prefer to rent an electric vehicle)
- single
- all seasons (snow/rain/ice)

I know that CX-30 may have more curb appeal, but is also controversial at the same time due to the protectors. 6 is dated in terms of infotainment (was really hoping the CX-30 system would make it in) but still looks damn gorgeous to me.

Thanks!

Personally I prefer the overall looks of the 6 over the CX-30, but the CX-30 has the obvious edge in practicality with the higher ride height and additional cargo space.

One thing to note is that the CX-30 will likely have some newer "luxury" touches that haven't made their way to the 6 yet, such as the fade-out turn signals and the new windshield wiper system.

Personally I prefer the overall looks of the 6 over the CX-30, but the CX-30 has the obvious edge in practicality with the higher ride height and additional cargo space.

One thing to note is that the CX-30 will likely have some newer "luxury" touches that haven't made their way to the 6 yet, such as the fade-out turn signals and the new windshield wiper system.
This is a really neat feature - didn't notice because my test drive was in the rain. :)

The 6 is a longer wheelbase, low riding sedan so likely more pleasant cruising.

I have the 6MT but if I buy anything with AT I would prefer Mazda. Your use in the city might be more suited to AT.

I had a similar decision. I got the CX5 sport for the utility.

When I was searching for a car last fall, I looked high and low for a MZ6. Even after searching for a full month, I simply couldn't find one! A CX-5 did pop up though, so I bought that instead. I'm not sorry in the slightest. :cool:

I would pick a 6 and invest in a thule rack system and add cargo box/roof basket/cycle carrier/kayak carrier/ski carrier. etc. I can't stand the cladding on the CX-30.

OP is in Europe, where tight country roads are in abundance. I would recommend the following depending on your priorities:

- If you are not used to a “larger” vehicle and you will navigate lots of tight roads, then I would go with the smaller CX-30.

- If you don’t mind the size, the 6 will handle better.

In Europe, I would pick the CX-30, in America I would pick the 6.

Thanks guys, to everyone who chipped in. Yeah, had a thought and, thanks to the local dealer, a weekend test drive with the CX-30 as well as with the 6.

As much as I like the 6, my lifestyle and areas, which i frequent, require at least a bit more ground clearance - see the pic :D I had absolutely no quarrels with myself whether I should or should not climb that hill, or drive over some mud and I know I would be absolutely gutted if I would scratch my undercarriage a few times a weekend :)

Maybe I will consider the next gen 6, once it comes out with an AWD.

So, happy to announce, another CX-30 has found a new home!
20210530_142558.jpg
20210529_172538.jpg

Back