Looking to buy a used or CPO 2016 CX-5 GT or T

fairfaxgator

:
TBD
Hello ALL!

First time poster here. I am in the market to buy a used (preferably certified) 2016 cx-5 GT or T. Would like to have the safety and tech features (BSM/rear cross traffic/back up cam/navi). This car would be for my daughter.

- What is a good price for a used or certified with 20k-30k? Will waiting another 2-3 months help bring the prices down? There are lot of off lease and demo/loaners with tech packages coming into the market. I am in the DC metro area.

Other cars under consideration for model years 2015-2017 (depending on the features available (nav, BSM/rear cross traffic, back-up camera, etc)):

- Nissan Rogue
- Kia Sportage
- Honda CR-V
- Toyota RAV4
- Hyundai Tuscon

Any input would help.

Thanks,

Fairfaxgator

The wife drives a Honda CR-V. We tried to buy a CPO CR-V and the price was so near that of a new one, it made no sense to me. Crazy car! A one year old was selling for almost the new car price.

Prices vary based on market. Mazda website is a good place to search CPOs.
You can also search for a brand new and I think if there are any 16s left - it will be discounted so its very similar to a CPO price.

If your daughter is using this for college duty or is one of her first cars - a good CPO base Touring will be a good choice - it has BSM / RCTA and the camera. Navi can always be added - note Mazda navi has no real traffic - bad for city driving but useful for longer trips out in the country side.

Find CPOs on MAzda website - test drive it - let your daughter test drive it. Prices are always negotiable - either cash or free services etc. Of the remaining options your cheapest will be rogue / kia / hyundai. They depreciate faster and among these I would rate Kia as best quality.

Prices vary based on market. Mazda website is a good place to search CPOs.
You can also search for a brand new and I think if there are any 16s left - it will be discounted so its very similar to a CPO price.

If your daughter is using this for college duty or is one of her first cars - a good CPO base Touring will be a good choice - it has BSM / RCTA and the camera. Navi can always be added - note Mazda navi has no real traffic - bad for city driving but useful for longer trips out in the country side.

Great advice from Kaps again.

That and it will be lower cost than a GT over the life of the car. Example: Windshield replacement, headlights (bulb vs. an LED assembly), etc.

I agree with @GP 2004,
Sometimes if you stretch a little bit you can get a brand new vehicle and many are offering 0% for 60-63-72 months.
If you go with a CPO you will not get the 0% finance and the interest that you will pay on the loan will make the difference in the price with the new one.

Some 16.5 leftovers are still around my area in small numbers- that's where I'd be looking first ~5k off msrp should be pretty easy. As for the others..meh CR-V maybe but it holds very well (so I wouldn't bother with CPO) but I don't love the new(er) ones largely bc of the CVTranny- if that's not an issue the CR-V EX trim is not a bad rig (for a chick:))

Last edited:
I bought a dealer demo/loaner 2016.5 touring CPO in August and it had about 2500 miles. I got it for about $5k less than new and the CPO has an extra year of bumper to bumper warranty. If you can find a dealer demo that might be the way to go get basically a new car with a good discount and more warranty.

I have 2 offers already for the car and that too as a trade-in. In NY/NY offered in 1st. dealership: 20.5k, 2nd. dealership: 23k. Private (Craigslist) already had a firm offer for 26k.

2016 CX5 GT. Soul Red. iActiv Package. Tires: 5/32 depth remaining OEM. Mileage: 27000. MPG avg: 26.5.
Accidents: None
Recalls: All done.
Issues: Driver side side mirror: black plastic has a 5-inch crack but works perfectly fine. replaced the front bumper once due to scratches, driver side headlight replaced due to cloudiness by dealer. All maint. records: Yes. Only used OEM fuel/oil/filter. Front bumper - has some scratches hardly visible.

Additionally has: OEM hood deflector, OEM moon-roof deflector, OEM window deflectors, tow hitch (not OEM - class-3), All 4 door sills (not OEM), front and rear OEM mud flaps, OEM rubber mats, OEM carpet mats (new), OEM trunk divider, OEM rubber trunk mat, OEM trunk carpet mat (new), OEM remote start, OEM roof rails, interior accent lighting (not OEM, there's no OEM), HUD display (not OEM) - can project navigation from iPhone), all interior lights - converted to LED.

1 think I noted : Mazda cars are REALLY holding their value!! I was in the market for car #2 and really wanted Mazda 3. However, I can get tons of Honda Civics, Corollas with a wide band of price range within a reasonable mileage limits but for the same mileage/year statistics Mazda is invariably at least 1000$ to 2000$ costlier.
Finally, I went with Nissan Sentra 2017 SV. It had less than 100 miles in ODO and got it for 14,500$ out-of-door price with $1500 extended Nissan warranty covering even electricals/electronics for 8 years/120,000 miles. For that year/ODO read its impossible to get a Mazda.

Back