Looking at buying a MSP and want advice? Post here!

^Agreed 12 or 13psi I believe... and were talking by like 2800rpms thats harder on the tranny and lsd than my 25psi on a gt30 lol

By the way with my PAR gears I still for the time being have a welded msp lsd that has taken crazy amounts of punishment with stickyass tires... KNOCKS ON WOOD!!

So I'm looking at a Mazdaspeed Protege. Yellow, 101,000 miles. Just did the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belts, and spark plugs. Noticed the exhaust manifold is craked which seems to be a common problem. I'm looking at picking it up for $4100. This seem alright? I'm doing quite a bit of research..

^HysteriaDx, I say do it. That's not a bad find. Considering the "major" service has already been done, I dont think you have much to worry about other than replacing the exhaust manifold. There are many aftermarket opportunities out there to choose from. Enjoy!

Also, when driving it when you let off at certain RPMs there's a strange clicking sound. Idk if it's the VICS system or the cracked manifold. If the VICS is clicking do I have to worry about it and pull the whole intake manifold or should it just be fine? Let me know ASAP might be paying for her tomorrow!!!

That clicking sound sounds like it may be coming from the exhaust manifold. Years ago in a jeep cherokee I had with the 4.0L the exhaust manifold would always crack at the flange coupler...sounded like a bunch of ticking.

Put a steedspeed manifold on...and replace that intake manifold!

I had to replace my intake manifold because of the plates that were falling off of the "rod" on the VICS system. A favorite swap among MSP owners are the 626 manifold swap.

Hi everyone, I'm looking at a MSP near me. I'm curious what a 2003.5 with 100k miles should go for? Car seems relatively stock.

800 for a parts car... should I take it? it runs and drives. however no gauges work (triple pillar) I can tell it was in front end accident. radiator is whacked. fmic hard pipes dented. manifold and s/j pipes are find though. claims motor was rebuilt (by him) but you can see the blue Rv seal stuff everywhere so I doubt he used gaskets. rust is terrible. on all doors too. can't tell if shaft play in turbo have only seen it hot. interior is trashed. bumpers are not sellable. looks like an eBay bov. I wanted a msp to throw turbo on p5 and part out to make my $ back. for 800 is it worth it? seems to me like only turbo components reusable are manifold and s/j pipes. everything else is such trash... well ecu I could take. but it's leaking oil and all the lines are "rigged" so terribly. it's a true $800 beater would it be in my best interest to get it

800 for a parts car... should I take it? it runs and drives. however no gauges work (triple pillar) I can tell it was in front end accident. radiator is whacked. fmic hard pipes dented. manifold and s/j pipes are find though. claims motor was rebuilt (by him) but you can see the blue Rv seal stuff everywhere so I doubt he used gaskets. rust is terrible. on all doors too. can't tell if shaft play in turbo have only seen it hot. interior is trashed. bumpers are not sellable. looks like an eBay bov. I wanted a msp to throw turbo on p5 and part out to make my $ back. for 800 is it worth it? seems to me like only turbo components reusable are manifold and s/j pipes. everything else is such trash... well ecu I could take. but it's leaking oil and all the lines are "rigged" so terribly. it's a true $800 beater would it be in my best interest to get it
Sounds to me like it's more trouble than its worth.

Hey guys. I need some advice on a potential trade. I put up my s12 for trade for this mazdaspeed protege. Has anyone know the history of this car. Im wanting something different and hes willing to work out a trade deal

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=613251

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Currently looking at this car.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/5272206843.html

2 owner, 2nd owner has only had it for 3 months because he needed a SUV apparently.

I realize this isn't much info on this, but any feedback would be appreciated.

I mostly need to know if these cars are reliable at 150k miles as I need a reliable DD. I can work on it, but not every weekend.

I am not trying to bump him off his sale but I will be selling mine as soon as I finish rebuilding my MS6. I have a lot less miles but a lot less stock as well. It runs great, but it certainly isn't flawless. Good luck with this yellow one but if it goes south or you are willing to wait for just a little longer you can get into this Sunlight Silver version.

Lots of time and money went into this car. What is on the car? Since I had the car nearly brand new and jumped head first into modifying it.....
APEXi TT- hadn't worked in years, pretty sure I pinched the source and didn't care enough to investigate.
Kartboy (a throwback company none of you youngsters would know) poly shifter bushings.
TWM second gen short throw doubled with Corksprt bronze oil bushings. Crazy stiff notchy but positive shifting, you know when you are in gear or not for sure.
Vibrant performance 3" s-pipe back exhaust (1 of the first 10 made, I was on the waiting list)
DMH Performance 3" electronic cutout mated with a y pipe and constructed into a midpipe, removing the highflow form the vibrant. BY FAR MY FAVORITE MOD EVER
SteedSpeed CNC turbo manifold- I was the prototype tester, I still have the first one made and you can still set a grenade off in it without hurting it.
626 single runner IM, sealed butterfly channels and ported, best power gain I installed
$2 carberator return spring from Advanced Auto Parts, installed on the WGA to increase the pressure by 3 psi
SR20 WGA from ATP Turbo
Turbolife FMIC (Perrin discontinued) painted bars black with radiator paint
EGR breather
thermal spacers
Tein S techs on the HP blues, went through several suspension set ups including ksports and this was by far my favorite
AWR 21.5 RSB
Dave B original brushed bezel rings
custom 2 pod single DIN OVR gauge holder with Boost and Innovate WB
Clevitte rod bearings
welded diff housing
crytreated gear sets and shafts
6 puck ACT clutch with resprung preassure plate (not that much fun really)
rear strut bar from a MX6, did a real nice write on install back in the msprotege.com days

What I don't have on the car collecting dust since '09ish,
505Zoom sheetmetal IM
GT28
Pope 3"DP

new%20006.2.JPG

hey guys, looking for advice, I own a 2000 protg 1.8 5 spd, I was thinking or possibly dreaming about getting me a msp 2.0 to put into it. is it possible and how hard would the conversion be? been looking online for parts. was also considering buying a used 1.8 and rebuilding it while I still drive mine, my protg is still goin strong with 217,350 miles, but I want more power.
Any help would be appreciated

Back