Long distance road trip protection

CX5girl

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Hey everyone, I'm new to the Mazda scene, been a VW & BMW girl over the last 12+ years. Anyway, I'm taking into consideration Mazda's soft paint situation, and I'mthinking of picking up a vinyl front mask cover (bra) for the car's front end strictly for long distance road trips. I notice that mazdagear.com is selling them at $97: http://mazdagear.com/front-mask.aspx

CX5FrontMask.jpg

Any headaches with installing / removing these? Should I prep the surface by giving it a coat of wax prior to installing?

Or, any other tips to suggest about paint protection during road trips that doesn't involve blue painter's tape? Thanks!!

For the record, I went with the gorgeous Red Soul Mica paint :)

Welcome to the club! Bras are just OK, nothing more. Biggest problem with them are if any dirt gets underneath them that area will be scratched up pretty good.
When installing them it's best to do it on a warm day and let the bra sit in a sun beam for a while so it can stretch easily when fitting.

Honestly, your best bet is to spent the coin for a clear 3M or other front end mask. Clear film type of thing.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123813126-Clear-Paint-Protection-Kit

Last edited:
I had a bra on my saturn and the dirt under the bra becomes an issue. Also, the rest of the paint does not match after you remove the bra.

Look into getting a Clear Bra.......excellent protection, Xpel and 3M are the leading manufacturers. We have it on our 2013 Speed 3. Not cheap but far better than what you are looking at now

Thanks for the advice, guys! Yeah, I've always been skeptical about the vinyl bras, even if it's just for long distance trips.

I think I'll go with the stylish hood deflector + painter's tape. Since it's a leased car, I don't think I'll invest in the 3M clear bra.

I'm thinking of picking up a vinyl front mask cover (bra) for the car's front end strictly for long distance road trips.

45k miles on my `13, where I'm on the highway non-stop for work.

VERY few chips to my front end, which should disprove any soft-paint theory.

Back