Lockable Storage

Car54

:
'08 BMW M3, '13 Mazda5
I'm new to the Mazda5 and purchased the vehicle primarily for my business. I just realized there is 0 lockable storage in the 5. I'm sure I'm not the only person who this isn't ok with. What ideas for lockable storage have you come up with?

TIA

... lock the doors? ... :) My non-helpful comment :)

I'm new to the Mazda5 and purchased the vehicle primarily for my business. I just realized there is 0 lockable storage in the 5. I'm sure I'm not the only person who this isn't ok with. What ideas for lockable storage have you come up with?

TIA

I have found that lockable interior cabinets are solely for the owner's peace of mind. They are FAR easier to get into than the locks that keep the cabin safe. If you're that worried, get a high-end car alarm with the I-mean-business blue flasher.

I'm more concerned about the car wash or a family member...people who don't mean to break in but might be nosey. Would be nice to put a couple things in a lockable area.

My glove box locks. It's a minivan, what kind of lockable storage do you expect from it? Most minivans have only the glovebox as the only locking storage space.

Depends how large the stuff you want to store - something like this might work https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). There are gun safes that can be used in cars.

What are you trying to hide from family members? The only things I can think of are illegal :).

Or you could be this guy -> http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07/miss-police-find-360k-in-secret-car-compartment/

I'm more concerned about the car wash or a family member...people who don't mean to break in but might be nosey. Would be nice to put a couple things in a lockable area.

Last edited:
Hmm,
Maybe it's a "touring" model thing. I have the sport.

My glove box locks. It's a minivan, what kind of lockable storage do you expect from it? Most minivans have only the glovebox as the only locking storage space.

How big of items are you looking to store? Papers? A Laptop? Bags? It all depends on the size.

Nope it's a generation thing. Pre 2012 models had a glove box lock AND a glove box light. 2012+ newer have neither. Sucks but its true.
Oh wow. What a dumb thing to get rid of on newer vehicles. That should be the one basic thing you get on most cars, especially a minivan.

Though it may seem dumb - the fact of the matter is its probably Mazda cutting costs. I would venture to guess that very few people used them anyway and as people have mentioned, they don't really do much in preventing thieves from getting inside the glove box.

IMHO the best place to put valuables is under the second row seats in the compartment.....chances are very good a thief wouldn't ever consider looking there unless they had a ton of time and knew those storage areas were present in the vehicle.

Not lockable but there's hidden storage under the passenger side 2nd row seat - not sure if you're aware of that.

TIA

Back