Lock/unlock with key?

thrasher

Contributor
:
'02 Protege5
I tried to use my key today, (just in case my remotes don't work) and I found something strange:

The driver's door will only lock the car.
The passenger door will only un-lock the car.

I mean, the key will only turn one way on each door. Anyone else have this problem?

I've searched the forums but most posts are about resetting the keyless remotes...

it's funny cause I've never tried to open my door with the key. I know that in my wife's car (98) if you unlock either door, and hold it in the unlock position for a second or 2, it will unlock all the doors. same thing in reverse for locking.

thrasher said:
I tried to use my key today, (just in case my remotes don't work) and I found something strange:

The driver's door will only lock the car.
The passenger door will only un-lock the car.

I mean, the key will only turn one way on each door. Anyone else have this problem?

I've searched the forums but most posts are about resetting the keyless remotes...
I think your car is broken.

There is positively no way a car would be designed where only the passenger door can unlock the car. That makes negative zero sense.

Insert the key into the driver's door, turn it forward once to unlock the driver's door. If you turn it forward and hold it for a second or two, it unlocks all the doors. When you turn the key backward, it locks all the doors.

Insert the key into the passenger's door, turn it forward once and it unlocks all the doors. Turn it backward once and it locks all the doors.

Thanks everyone, I figured it out. It was a bad key. I tried the original key last night and it worked fine, the copy I had made is not working properly.

Thats good to hear that you figured it out. On a side note, The hatch lock will also unlock all the other doors too.

rednecks_r_us said:
Thats good to hear that you figured it out. On a side note, The hatch lock will also unlock all the other doors too.

I think they will all do this if you hold it for a few seconds right?

Latest posts

Back