Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
Reveal starting shortly https://www.mazdausa.com/new-era
<iframe width="480" height="270" src="https://www.ustream.tv/embed/18821622?html5ui" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen frameborder="0" style="border: 0 none transparent;"></iframe>

So very sharp car. The hatch looks very much like the Kai Concept. The interior also has some neat new things. AWD and the new Sky-X will be nice. But no detail on when that engine will be available and what the car will cost. I guess that will be tomorrow at the press conference.

The guy who usually talks specs is Dave.. something. I think. Would have liked to hear more about the powerplant and drivetrain for sure, but I can appreciate the level of detail they went into about the design.

Couple of other takeaways besides what else was mentioned:

8.8" display with new HMI Commander knob (looks bigger and more polished, didn't get a pic)
New color that I think is specific to the hatch (polymetal grey)

Here are a few screenshots I took from my phone (first one is the polymetal grey):

attachment.php

Screenshot_2018-11-27-22-09-17-931_com.android.chrome.png

attachment.php

Screenshot_2018-11-27-21-59-57-738_com.android.chrome.png

attachment.php

Screenshot_2018-11-27-22-07-52-553_com.android.chrome.png

attachment.php

Screenshot_2018-11-27-22-03-57-276_com.android.chrome.png

attachment.php

Screenshot_2018-11-27-22-02-23-017_com.android.chrome.png

Last edited:
And a few more:

attachment.php

Screenshot_2018-11-27-21-59-16-838_com.android.chrome.png

attachment.php

Screenshot_2018-11-27-21-59-11-890_com.android.chrome.png

attachment.php

Screenshot_2018-11-27-21-58-49-978_com.android.chrome.png

attachment.php

Screenshot_2018-11-27-21-59-02-244_com.android.chrome.png

This last screencap is a shot of the interior from the Vision, I think.

attachment.php

Screenshot_2018-11-27-21-55-16-480_com.android.chrome.png

Sorry, I know the photos are dark. None of them were edited.

Wow...Nice! Is it just me or is anyone else getting an Alfa Romeo vibe (especially with the hatch)?

In any case, I like it! (2thumbs)

Wow...Nice! Is it just me or is anyone else getting an Alfa Romeo vibe (especially with the hatch)?

In any case, I like it! (2thumbs)

I agree with the Alfa comment.

I have more questions after the reveal than I had before.

1.) When will the SkyactivX be available?

2.) Is Mazda going to pull the same crap they did with the diesel and keep delaying it?

3.) What trims are the AWD available? With a stick too?

Love the availability of AWD. Don't think the hatch is nearly as good looking as the current one, probably due to the huge C-pillar. And going to a torsion beam rear suspension from the current multi-link is a step backward. The sedan is much better looking than the hatch.

Now if there is an AWD Mazdaspeed 3 coming at some point.............

If a new Mazdaspeed3 is coming with AWD and decent MPG. I will have a hard time hanging on to my 2013 MS3.

Love the availability of AWD. Don't think the hatch is nearly as good looking as the current one, probably due to the huge C-pillar. And going to a torsion beam rear suspension from the current multi-link is a step backward. The sedan is much better looking than the hatch.

My thoughts as well. The hatchback just looks awkward to me. AWD is great but I have a feeling we are looking at a car that is getting heavier and a lot more expensive. Time will tell.

-kp

The addition of an AWD is a no-brainer IMO. I'm hoping this allows them to sell more Mazda3s. I would hate to live in a world without sedans and hatchbacks.

if that C pillar is the only critical statement people have, i think Mazda did great! there's NO satisfying everyone!
Hey it's still better than the Bangle Butt! what a mess that was.

if that C pillar is the only critical statement people have, i think Mazda did great! there's NO satisfying everyone!
Hey it's still better than the Bangle Butt! what a mess that was.

If Honda can get away with the current Civic styling and still sell cars, Mazda with their better looking Mazda3 should be fine. The rear only really looks weird at certain angles, other than that, the hatchback looks really good imo.

The US is only getting 2 of the 5 engines.

First off, of the five engines announced for the Mazda3, just two of them are slated for the United States. At launch, the Mazda3 will be offered only with a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder...

The Skyactiv-X engine will become available later in 2019. It will be rolled out in Europe first, with America coming after. When it does come here, it will be offered in states with stricter emissions regulations before coming to other states.

While we're on the topic of engines, we also probed a bit about the possibility of the turbocharged 2.5-liter engine coming to the Mazda3. We did get the typical response of not being able to comment on future product. However, they did confirm that the turbocharged engine does in fact fit in the new Mazda3...

Now as for drivetrains, the company is still deciding which trims and which combinations of engines will be offered. Naturally, a manual has been announced, and with the 2.5-liter engine being the standard engine, that will be a combination for sure. The manual does indeed couple with the all-wheel-drive system, so that's a possibility, too. And manual and automatic transmissions work with the Skyactiv-X engine. So all combinations are possible, but Mazda is determining exactly which combinations will be offered.

-kp

Thanks for the link. The info on how the AWD system works in tandem with G-vectoring control is interesting. I am actually interested in test driving one now to see how it feels when taking a fast corner.

I hope that the 2.5T is offered on the Mazda3 with AWD and a manual, especially if the SkyActiv-X engine won't have 200 or more horsepower. The perfect daily driver for me would be an AWD hatchback with really good passing power and compliant suspension. I would prefer it to come with a manual transmission. That is the kind of car that I can see myself driving for more than 10 years. At the moment, the only car that seems to fit that criteria is the Golf R. If you're listening Mazda, I want an alternative to that Golf R.

i like big butts and i cannot lie! =P haha

If Honda can get away with the current Civic styling and still sell cars, Mazda with their better looking Mazda3 should be fine. The rear only really looks weird at certain angles, other than that, the hatchback looks really good imo.

Thanks for the link. The info on how the AWD system works in tandem with G-vectoring control is interesting. I am actually interested in test driving one now to see how it feels when taking a fast corner.

I hope that the 2.5T is offered on the Mazda3 with AWD and a manual, especially if the SkyActiv-X engine won't have 200 or more horsepower. The perfect daily driver for me would be an AWD hatchback with really good passing power and compliant suspension. I would prefer it to come with a manual transmission. That is the kind of car that I can see myself driving for more than 10 years. At the moment, the only car that seems to fit that criteria is the Golf R. If you're listening Mazda, I want an alternative to that Golf R.

Even better IMO would be a 2.5L (or 2.2 etc) version of the X motor eventually. More power + better efficiency vs the 2.5 G motor.

Back