list of gripes about 2019 GT

For me the only real gripe I have about my 2019 GT is the painfully slow infotainment system boot up and how it sometimes hangs up loading Sirius/XM stations or the NAV system locks up or works but without voice commands. Usually stopping the car and re-starting solves the problem but it happens way more than I believe it ought to. Otherwise I'm pretty pleased.

What bugs have people found in the 2019 system? I don't mean issues but bugs in the computer sense.

For example, I have a 2018 CX-9 Signature and two things I notice are 1) if I shut the engine off in neutral, and shift to park, I can't open the rear hatch with the inside button. I just get three beeps. I have to go out to open the hatch. If I start the car, it still won't work. I need to start the car and shut it down to reset the system. Completely reproducible bug.

The second bug is when the car is set up for automatic lights and high beam and auto wipers. If the automatic wipers come on and the lights come on after, the automatic high beam function won't work. It just stays in high beam mode. Again, highly reproducible.

To me, it suggests Mazda is not very good at testing its systems and someone in quality control engineering should be talked to!

Just speaking for myself..
I'm glad the CX-9 doesn't come with either of these things. My mom had an X3 with reverse tilt down, and it never worked right. Sometimes it would tilt all the way down and keep trying to tilt down further, and it never returned to the regular position after tilting down.

Remote start would have been a waste for me. I'm happy with it being an optional accessory - those who want the convenience can pay for it, and those who don't pay a little less for the car. I'm also of the opinion that Mazda's OEM Remote Start is not the ideal option. I've read great things about Fortin and Drone Mobile.
My sister’s X5 had articulating headlight stuck in turn position. BMWs usually have electronics issues so I wouldn’t compare it with them. I have tilting side mirrors in my QX60 which have been functioning flawlessly for 3 years.

2019 signature

1. Slowest infotainment in the industry (probably)
2. Android auto crashes very often on long road trips.
2. Worst camera resolution of any brand I have experienced since 2011
3. Half heated steering wheel
4. Stiff seats and poor quality leather that stretches too easily.
5. Suspension very firm for a family car
6. Poor paint quality
7. No tire pressure display
8. No panoramic sunroof
9. Poor quality hard plastics
10. Lots of rusty bolts after a few rainfalls
11. Oil change interval is too short. New model year is double the mileage, but with no engine or oil improvements. Unfair for prior years to do more oil changes even though it's the same car.
12. No lock/unlock buttons or touch sensor for the rear doors.
13. Noisy engine
14. Climate control isnt accurate
15. No auto brake hold in 2019
16. Washer jets have a bad spray pattern. Squirts like a child's water gun.

2019 signature

4. Stiff seats and poor quality leather that stretches too easily.

5. Suspension very firm for a family car

8. No panoramic sunroof

10. Lots of rusty bolts after a few rainfalls

15. No auto brake hold in 2019

16. Washer jets have a bad spray pattern. Squirts like a child's water gun.

4-I noticed that, thought it was just my imagination. But it did allow me to anchor my baby carseat tighter (I don't think it's damaging the leather but I'll take that chance for secure fit)

5- prefer this as it aids handling but I can see some not liking

8- panoramic is a tricky option. Some are truly panoramic, others have that name but really are just somewhat larger (my 17 crv was a letdown when I looked up). If you see competition listed as having it, not necessarily that much better

10- where are the bolts? Now I want to check mine!! Brutal.

15- I am able to brake hold by using emerg brake. Once you press on gas and it auto releases, although you'd need to engage it again at next stop. It won't continue to brake hold, so in rush hr traffic not much good, but ok for those long lights etc.

16 - Now that made me laugh, good analogy

I thought i wrote about the Outside temp gauge on one of the post and I can't remember now
The outside temp gauge seems to be quite slow in giving the temp readout. I have 2007 pilot and it is very quick but in CX-9 i see it dropping and I think it might take 2-3 minutes or more to give me a stable number - any experiences on it?

Ha! I do love to gripe, my wife would say.

For your list:
1. Limited steering wheel heat - I agree, although I've adjusted.
2. I've never had a mirror with memory, but I'd alter this point: I wish the car recognized fobs so when I get in my seat is adjusted automatically. Do higher brands like Lexus, BMW etc alter steering wheels, mirrors, seat? Id love that. And if it could also alter presets on radio...
4. Cam resolution...I find changing view so it's only front cam helps, split screen is horrible
5. YESYESYES I regret not waiting for this in 2020 (have a 2019)

For my list I'd add the ever debatable lack of Lane Centering.

I thought the button unlock on door handle would annoy me, but I don't mind it.

I found it awkward to not have a small hand "hole" to pull door closed, but I've adjusted to using handle.
For #2 in touring trim with package or higher you can program the fobs to seat memory hahaha. Now some of the other options u guys grip about should of purchased a luxury vehicle if u wanted all that. Mazda is not that

For #2 in touring trim with package or higher you can program the fobs to seat memory hahaha. Now some of the other options u guys grip about should of purchased a luxury vehicle if u wanted all that. Mazda is not that

I did since find out i can program fob, haven't gotten around to it yet...

disagree on luxury. My CRV (2 yrs older and one class down from cx9) has panoramic (albeit smallish), true lane centering,hands free tailgate, full auto brake hold, touch sensor for unlock not button, full remote start ability to heat car, more broad heating on wheel, backup cam resolution crisp, walk away lock that seems to sense better, and to be honest about the same cargo. 12 k less. It's a great little package, and they sell tons here.

BUT I still fight to drive cx9 (sort of my wife's right now) for many reasons, but it's far from perfect for even being a mainstream offering.

Coop64, I have a similar one right from Clek (Canadian brand of seat). They make the lawyer-driven statement it's the only one I can use with my seat.

I was bit concerned it wouldn't allow me to get as deeply set and secure a placement of the seat, as it's pretty embedded in the bare leather now. But might be a job for this weekend. Snowed in on Saturday likely anyway.

The heated steering wheel drive me but. My left hand is always on the two o’clock position and my right hand is on the shift knob when i drive. It never get hot there.
The camera resolution on my 2012 odyssey is way better.
But when I drive— I forget everything. Gezzz, now I know why my freaking MPG are so bad

disagree on luxury. My CRV (2 yrs older and one class down from cx9) has panoramic (albeit smallish), true lane centering,hands free tailgate, full auto brake hold, touch sensor for unlock not button, full remote start ability to heat car, more broad heating on wheel, backup cam resolution crisp, walk away lock that seems to sense better, and to be honest about the same cargo. 12 k less. It's a great little package, and they sell tons here.

IMO.. A lot of people forget that Mazda is a much smaller company with much fewer resources. They simply don't sell enough units to make enough profit to include some of those features. If they included those features, the MSRP would go up, and the price hike from 1st gen to 2nd gen would be too broad, discouraging trade-ins and potentially damaging brand loyalty. Not to mention the price increase would have made the price difference between the CX-9 and an MDX (for example), much smaller, minimizing the value proposition that the CX-9 has. Truly, you can't call any Mazda vehicle a luxury vehicle. You can't even really call it premium - but they are getting there. A gradual shift in product offerings is a good way to transition the traditional Mazda buyer into a premium buyer, but their advertising/marketing team is doing a very poor job. Again, just my opinion.

The heated steering wheel drive me but. My left hand is always on the two o’clock position and my right hand is on the shift knob when i drive. It never get hot there.
The camera resolution on my 2012 odyssey is way better.
But when I drive— I forget everything. Gezzz, now I know why my freaking MPG are so bad

I hope you mean 10 o'clock.. if your left hand is always at 2 o'clock, your left arm is resting right in front of the steering wheel airbag. Plus it just sounds uncomfortable lol

I hope you mean 10 o'clock.. if your left hand is always at 2 o'clock, your left arm is resting right in front of the steering wheel airbag. Plus it just sounds uncomfortable lol

I was wondering if he's a left hand side of road locale. England, etc.

I was wondering if he's a left hand side of road locale. England, etc.

If he was holding the steering wheel at 2 o'clock with his left hand, his left arm would still cross over the steering wheel regardless. I think he might have meant 10 o'clock.

If he was holding the steering wheel at 2 o'clock with his left hand, his left arm would still cross over the steering wheel regardless. I think he might have meant 10 o'clock.

Right. Duh. The wheel would still use the same clock references.

My brain must be on Friday already. Maybe i shut down for the week now.

Nope. My left hand is on 2 o’clock position. That the way I drive. I always drive with just one hand

Ok I see. I would recommend that you try to place your hand somewhere where your arm isn't blocking the steering wheel airbag, though.

IMO.. A lot of people forget that Mazda is a much smaller company with much fewer resources. They simply don't sell enough units to make enough profit to include some of those features. If they included those features, the MSRP would go up, and the price hike from 1st gen to 2nd gen would be too broad, discouraging trade-ins and potentially damaging brand loyalty. Not to mention the price increase would have made the price difference between the CX-9 and an MDX (for example), much smaller, minimizing the value proposition that the CX-9 has. Truly, you can't call any Mazda vehicle a luxury vehicle. You can't even really call it premium - but they are getting there. A gradual shift in product offerings is a good way to transition the traditional Mazda buyer into a premium buyer, but their advertising/marketing team is doing a very poor job. Again, just my opinion.

I
But the items I listed in my post are very simple fixes and those can be worked around by Mazda with not too much of a cost- mostly are programming and some with little more electronics. Once they fix these issues, it could very well complete with MDX albeit with smaller cargo space

But the items I listed in my post are very simple fixes and those can be worked around by Mazda with not too much of a cost- mostly are programming and some with little more electronics. Once they fix these issues, it could very well complete with MDX albeit with smaller cargo space

i second Vdev here. There are quite a few things that do no require hardware changes or will have minimal increments in cost.
Mirror tipping, maintaining saved position per driver may be considered a nuissance by some but you would hardly find a premium/luxury car without that
Illuminated light switches for dome lights is another easy example
More interior LED lights with color options....
these are little things and yes they may raise the cost some but I don't see them adding a grand to the total. The little things that make you feel special in your environment are those things that often make Luxury cars feel as such though, a good many of them may drive like crap in comparison or have a pitiful reliability

Yep I agree with most of your points from the original post. The reply you quoted was in response to GTA-CX9's post (#28). I'm paraphrasing, but he says that certain features are not "luxury-specific" because they're available on his CR-V. While I agree that they aren't really luxury features anymore, I simply stated my opinion on Mazda's resources and the priority of their spending. As a follow up to my post - they probably spent a lot of money overhauling the CX-9 for a turbo 4-cyl powerplant (which debuted on the CX-9).

i second Vdev here. There are quite a few things that do no require hardware changes or will have minimal increments in cost.
Mirror tipping, maintaining saved position per driver may be considered a nuisance by some but you would hardly find a premium/luxury car without that
Illuminated light switches for dome lights is another easy example
More interior LED lights with color options....
these are little things and yes they may raise the cost some but I don't see them adding a grand to the total. The little things that make you feel special in your environment are those things that often make Luxury cars feel as such though, a good many of them may drive like crap in comparison or have a pitiful reliability

Speaking for myself only, the tilt mirror and sunroof issues (along with a CEL that wouldn't stay away) really soured my experience with BMW. So much that I would probably never buy, or even lease, a BMW.

Again, we should keep in mind that Mazda is not really a premium brand. IMO, they are currently sitting between mainstream and premium. I would slot them in right below Acura. That said, I have to wonder if maybe they're holding certain features back in order to add them in as "new features" in later MYs? They could be doing this to stretch out the lifecycle of this gen before the next overhaul. Similar to them adding power folding mirrors, captain's chairs, power liftgate to the late models. I can see them adding a pano roof and a bump in hp when they do a mid-cycle refresh. To be honest, I wouldn't even notice if the CX-9 didn't have a sunroof at all.

Mazda definitely has their work cut out for them, walking the tightrope between mainstream and luxury.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back