LinuxRacr's 2013 - 2014 New Build Thread

2 questions. 1) What slim line fans did you use 2) did you think of clocking the turbo so no problem with rubber coupling

Wow, I totally missed this post.

1) I am using two different brand fans. I've had each for a while, and they are hold-overs from my previous setup where I could only use one puller fan due to turbo proximity. The one currently on the passenger side for my A/C is a Maradyne Champion Series M123. It used to be on the driver's side, but I found it wasn't enough to cool things down in the hot Texas summer. So I eventually replaced it with the fan that is currently on the driver's side, which is a SPAL 30102029 VA10-AP70/LL-61A * 12"C/12V.

2) I definitely have considered clocking the turbo, but I would need to get new intercooler piping fabbed up.

I've always boosted in 5th gear with no issues, but with the new-found power, I can see your concern.

Eventually... Right now I'm dealing with a stud that backed out of the Steedspeed manifold, so I had to take everything apart to replace all the studs, since a couple of them had warped threads. I've learned my lesson on turbo fasteners. Always best to replace them when taking things apart. The only thing I need today to get my car up and running are copper locking nuts, in the 8M x 1.25 variety. :)

My trans went out on me this past Monday. MFactory 3rd/4th/5th gears on the way. I decided not to wait for the testing to finish, and get my hands on one of the sample sets. I believe a shift fork broke, since I couldn't shift into 2nd, 4th, or reverse. May as well do the rebuild now.

Sorry to hear. Good luck with the rebuild. Do you have a Ferdi brace to add in at the same time?

I already have the Ferdi brace. 5th gear was worn, and has been popping out quite forcefully lately. When it popped out, most of the time I would downshift to 4th to get the rotational speed back up, and then gently grind it back into 5th. Otherwise, it wouldn't go into 5th. On Monday, it popped out, and I tried to downshift to 4th, and it wouldn't go. Then I found out it wouldn't go into 2nd or reverse either later on.

Have you had a chance to push that precision turbo yet? I've been eyeing it up for awhile now and can't find much feeback online.

Yeah, I've pushed it, and it is a fun turbo. Before I had the problem I told you about in P.M., things were awesome. I need to fix that now too before I can realize big benefits.

Same happened to my trans except it was 3rd gear, started popping out then the shift fork broke altogether and wouldn't shift out of 4th gear.

Back