Lightning Audio & Treo

EcLites

:
01 Mitsubishi Eclipse
What are your opinions on them and what have you heard?

Anyone who owns or has owned any products please leave a short review of the product.

Just started looking into some non name brand audio and am pretty impressed by the stats.

Thanks in advance! (thumb)

as far as Treo goes, Hopefully Wakey will chime in here. I know he's had at least one Treo sub and will have a bit to say about them.

Lightning audio as far as I know is prettymuch nothing special. AT ALL. kindof generic ick actually.

For subs atleast, you should checkout Adire Audio. They've ACTUALLY finalyl got product coming around (it's about 6months late)

What subs would you reccomend from Adire Audio?
I actually saw the Brahma sub woofers at audio shop this weekend. But I didnt give it a second look since I never heard of them.

EcLites said:
What subs would you reccomend from Adire Audio?
I actually saw the Brahma sub woofers at audio shop this weekend. But I didnt give it a second look since I never heard of them.

give it a second look(thumb) i've had a brahma 10 for a few years now and couldn't be happier.

as for treo, i had a CSX 18" from a few years back. it was a sick sub and took some abuse. the new ones are still up to par with it, however, the new CSX series is not for daily driving. if you where to run it daily for extended periods of time it will burn up, since they plugged the voice coil vent for better SPL.

lighting audio is definitely not a lesser known brand. stay away from what they sell at walmart and best buy. that is their lower end lines. their higher end line, the storm series, is actually very good. honestly, their high end components, subs, and amps are very well built and sound great as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Lightning Audio used to only make cables and accessories until they were bought out by Rockford. The amps, speakers, and subs were designed to be a mid level option for dealers selling Rockford Fosgate equipment and their low end equipment is obviously to cushion their profit margin. I've heard a few installs done with their high-end stuff that got_wake was mentioning. For the price...they sounded pretty good. There is better equipment out there but if you are on a tight budget they might be a brand to look into.

However, now that Rockford Fosgate's build quality has been deteriorating, I don't think I want to know what is going on with Lightning Audio...if I am correct about RF being the parent company.

honestly, i didn't pay attention to lighting audio before RF bought them out. the lower lines from LA where designed to be the low end from the rockford corporation, which is why the really low end is in walmart, and the low to mid is all that is allowed for best buy. the real stereo shops are allowed the high end. LA's top of the line components retail higher than RF's top of the line comps, and they are indeed different drivers and x-overs.

i haven't heard of RF's quality deteriorating in the past year or so. before then, yeah, they sucked. LA's been on the right track for a few years as well. i wouldn't pay retail for the equipment, but if you get a good deal, it's definitely worth it.

I have an older LA Bolt amp that I was using to power 2 JL 8" subs. It worked pretty well. The SQ was nothing special, but good enough. It's only rated at 50watts X2, but that was plenty to make those JL's pound. I'd place LA amps just above the "junk" amps. They're definitly not crappy like Sony or Crunch amps for example, but their far from being even midrange amps as well. I'd say they're good for those on a super tight budget, but want an amp that won't crap out in a month or two, and doesn't have unbearably bad SQ.

novAKs47 said:
I have an older LA Bolt amp that I was using to power 2 JL 8" subs. It worked pretty well. The SQ was nothing special, but good enough. It's only rated at 50watts X2, but that was plenty to make those JL's pound. I'd place LA amps just above the "junk" amps. They're definitly not crappy like Sony or Crunch amps for example, but their far from being even midrange amps as well. I'd say they're good for those on a super tight budget, but want an amp that won't crap out in a month or two, and doesn't have unbearably bad SQ.

dude, you bought the lowest whored out line from LA. the bolt/fast and furious series is the worst they put out. that's what walmart and other retailers carry. the higher end lines are not allowed in those big stores. rockford corporation saw that walmart is the biggest retailer of car audio (yes i know it's scary, but it's true) so they created a line cheap enough to be allowed in walmart. they make their money off that lineup from volume and when someone, such as yourself has bought it and had good results, will then upgrade to one of their higher lines since you are familiar with LA.

Its actually Walmart and BestBuy who dictate what is sold.

They want their prices low , they buy in outragous bulk, and they expect a huge discount so they can make a profit when they slash prices. Most manufacturers have to taylor their products to meet Walmart standards...aka, so they can 1) produce a shitload of products and 2) do it cheap.

No, this wasn't specificaly the fast and the furious one. lol Unless they just took the old b150.2's and re-did the cosmetics. This was before that horrible movie came out. Again, no idea if they just used the same amp. Either way, it did it's job.

Attachments

• IMG_0119aa.JPG
    IMG_0119aa.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 39
chuyler1 said:
Its actually Walmart and BestBuy who dictate what is sold.

They want their prices low , they buy in outragous bulk, and they expect a huge discount so they can make a profit when they slash prices. Most manufacturers have to taylor their products to meet Walmart standards...aka, so they can 1) produce a shitload of products and 2) do it cheap.

RF could have told them to F' off, but they saw a market and put out their cheap lineup. i do know that walmart sets the pricing and will strong arm manufacturers to sell to them at lower prices, but i don't believe best buy is allowed to sell below MAP, unless it's a special sale.

You might be right about Best Buy. I haven't wandered around their car audio department in quite some time. Last time I was in there, they were selling watered down versions of the Clarion head units. They looked almost the same visually execpt they didn't have the "Pro Audio" logo on them and the features didn't match what I was expecting. I sensed something fishy and decided not to buy from them. That was several years ago.

chuyler1 said:
You might be right about Best Buy. I haven't wandered around their car audio department in quite some time. Last time I was in there, they were selling watered down versions of the Clarion head units. They looked almost the same visually execpt they didn't have the "Pro Audio" logo on them and the features didn't match what I was expecting. I sensed something fishy and decided not to buy from them. That was several years ago.

i haven't checked into clarion, but that sounds like what pioneer did with the premier line. keep the premier line for the specialty shops and the basic stuff for the larger bargain retailers.

Back