Left front wheel - rubbing

:
2009 CX-9 Touring AWD
I noticed two or three times now that when making a slow left hand turn over the crest of an incline, say going up the ramp in a parking garage, I hear a scraping or rubbing sound that sounds like the inner fender liner. I've looked in there and cant see anything unusual.

Has anyone experience this? What could it be? Thanks!

Too much fun on those "unpaved service roads"? ;-)

Seriously, maybe your alignment is shot, or a bushing popped out, or the undercarriage shrouds got bent up. Check your lug nuts too - I'm pretty sure you have one loose. (rlaugh)

Don't think it's rubbing.
Suspension component or bearing.

the alignment is ok - drives perfectly straight. Probably suspension as it occurs when the left side front wheel is turned all the way to the left and compressed and raised up into the wheel well. I hope it is not a wheel bearing - what other signs would a bad wheel bearing make?

Driving straight does not indicate A-OK.
Have the dealer or an indie shop do a detail check.

the alignment is ok - drives perfectly straight. Probably suspension as it occurs when the left side front wheel is turned all the way to the left and compressed and raised up into the wheel well. I hope it is not a wheel bearing - what other signs would a bad wheel bearing make?
LOTS of noise, LOTS of heat after going 10 miles. You can wiggle the tire if lifted. Doubt that's it.

Loose struts/mounts and lug nuts can act up on speed bumps, especially if you traverse them every day. Bad or missing bushings in the stabilizer/swaybars/ etc with give you a sudden "clunk" at specific times, and usually a little more "road noise" in the steering wheel when you travel over harsh roads. Sometimes a chattering sound. If you are noticing these,.. (all the time in my toyotas).

A grinding or squealing noise while turning could be your rack & pinion failing. Seen any leaks?

Or a shroud thats loose or bent.

With all those possibilities it's best to have it checked. By whoever does your tires/alignment.

Driving straight does not indicate A-OK.
Have the dealer or an indie shop do a detail check.
Also, I hear that the "correct" settings will make the car pull slightly to the left to compensate for crowned roads. Any truth to that?

Reggie, being that you love to go mudding in your CX-9, I laughed when I saw this post. Perhaps you have a stick in your wheel lol.

Back