Leather Care

Hey guys,

Just curious as to which product you use/recommend for cleaning and protecting your leather seats, as well as how often you clean them.
This is my first vehicle with leather seats so just wanted to get everyone's take.

I just use a clean microfiber towel and some distilled water to clean. If there are any stubborn stains, I'd use a solution of mild detergent (like Woolite) and distilled water and gently agitate the stained area with a very soft-bristled brush (I use a baby hairbrush).

For protection I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. This is primarily for the additional UV protection it offers.

I have the nappa leather btw. My car is just over 3 years old with 53k kms (33k miles) and the leather is in excellent condition, aside from some minor creases in the front passenger side seat bolsters and the rear driver's side seat bolsters. These creases are just due to the way my wife enters/exits the car.

^^^^
What sm1ke said about using water. At least once every week/2weeks, I take a clean cloth with water, ring thoroughly, and wipe down the steering wheel, seating services, armrests, dash, and even hit the turn signal & wiper stalks, door handles & pulls, and shifter. The last thing I do is wipe the floor mats (WeatherTechs) and door sills... I’ll vacuum the floor before wiping down if there’s a lot of dirt.

You’ll be amazed at how nice the surfaces, especially the steering wheel, feels with just a wipe down. This will prevent dirt and grime build up on surfaces which can slowly degrade the various surface finishes.

Every so often (couple times a year) I’ll follow up with Lexol Conditioner on the leather surfaces. I typically use Mequiars Interior Detailer on the dash and door panels.

Lexol is very good. A heavy duty product I've used for years is Leather Honey. It's goopy like honey, but after it dries for a day and is buffed off it's great. I use it for cars, hiking boots, sofa, especially for any leather that has been allowed to dry out.

Avoid Chemical Guys leather products. Works well, but the fake new-leather smell is overwhelming.

Have some knowledge in this area as I've owned leather in cars since my Dad's 1981 Delorean and Mom's Caddy's.

I did the unthinkable and bought sand-colored leather seats. What a nightmare, the color transfer from clothes is very noticeable.

I take a bucket of water, a couple of drops of Dawn Dish Detergent, and scrub the seats with a Chemical Guys Leather Brush (soft bristles) to get all the color and liquids off.

Once it's dry, rub in the Meguiars Leather Balm. It comes with an applicator and you rub it on leather, vinyl, plastic, etc. It will seep into the leather and prevent cracking, and color transfer.

My leather is 6 years old and still brand new thanks to this miracle product.

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Untitled by jpjr50, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back