Learnings from messing with my 2018 KF CX5

Thought I'd post up some pics of my little car and the stuff I've learnt modifying it, as it hasn't been straight forward even for these seemingly minor bits and pieces.
This is what it looked like when we bought it brand new from the dealer, it had a set of 20 inch wheels with cheap and nasty tyres, an under seat sub with in built 2 x 50w amp powering the front speakers, a set of Focal components, (for the front) aftermarket heated seats and tinted windows all round. These were all things we chose to do to the brand new car, but they were fitted with the help of the dealer before we picked it up.

The first couple of lessons I learnt straight away were:
1: Buy the best spec you can afford! The next model up had a better stereo, better wheels, heated seats and privacy glass, so it was barely any cheaper getting this car and doing all those things to it. The actual reason we did it this way was because this car in mid spec 2.0 front wheel drive seemed to handle so much better than the 2.5 litre AWD premium spec model. (NZ market) I later learnt that this was likely due to the AWD models running 10mm higher suspension than the FWD models, so we could've probably sorted that eventually. (although modifying the suspension in these vehicles is also quite a headache as I later learnt)
2: Fitting bigger wheels to these cars results in a massive increase in road noise. The standard car on 17's is not too bad, but once you put 20's on with cheap tyres, they are massively loud. Especially on our 'course chip' road surfaces.

I will leave this post at that for now but I will post more about the following stuff (and lessons learnt) I've since completed on the vehicle:
  • Sound deadening
  • Sound Processor & Amp + new rear speakers
  • Cork Sport Intake
  • Racing Beat Exhaust
  • Lowered Suspension (A real hassle that one!)

Attachments

• IMG_3384.jpg
    IMG_3384.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 176
I don't understand putting 20's on any car. And I once bought a car that was lowered. It certainly gripped the twisties like it was a train on tracks... but my god the ride SUCKED. Felt every little bump and imperfection on the road. Had I kept that car (and damnit I should have) I would have RAISED it back up.

And is it just me or a bad photo but your CX5 does not look all the much lower then mine?!?

I was going to say it looks lifted.

EDIT: Or wait, the 2nd sentence in the OP stated "This is what it looked like when we bought it brand new from the dealer" So that may have been before lowering?

Rereading that paragraph, I don't think he means the photo. "This is what it looked like" and he describes it.
So the dealer put in aftermarket heated seats in a brand new car? Wait... really?

I was going to say it looks lifted.

EDIT: Or wait, the 2nd sentence in the OP stated "This is what it looked like when we bought it brand new from the dealer" So that may have been before lowering?
Yes that pic is what it looked like when we picked it up from the dealer.

Rereading that paragraph, I don't think he means the photo. "This is what it looked like" and he describes it.
So the dealer put in aftermarket heated seats in a brand new car? Wait... really?
Yep. Heated seats, tinted windows, aftermarket sound system and 20’s all fitted via dealer prior to pick up. No warranty on these bits obviously!

I don't understand putting 20's on any car. And I once bought a car that was lowered. It certainly gripped the twisties like it was a train on tracks... but my god the ride SUCKED. Felt every little bump and imperfection on the road. Had I kept that car (and damnit I should have) I would have RAISED it back up.

And is it just me or a bad photo but your CX5 does not look all the much lower then mine?!?
20’s made it bumpier and louder. But the looks and handling improvement was well worth it in my books. (The stock rims were 17’s) I love the way it looks now, (lowered) and although the ride was awful initially, after a LOT of mucking around, the ride is pretty close to stock now, even with a 30mm drop. I will post more about this (plus pics) once I have some time - I learnt a lot about suspension during this time!

I have no desire to take my CX5 GTR with nicely tuned suspension and totally destroy the ride, safety and look of the vehicle

Yep. Heated seats, tinted windows, aftermarket sound system and 20’s all fitted via dealer prior to pick up. No warranty on these bits obviously!
But... didn't it already have heated seats? Although this is one complaint I have with this car is the piss poor OEM heated seats, so I can understand wanting to upgrade them. Or did you start with ther base trim and it didn't have heated seats?
Link to the seats you used? Did you put buttons in too? Need more info! :D

Ha ha not much of a forum for enthusiasts if everyone just drives around in stock, unmodified cars lol.
I mean, mods are great. We're allowed not to like certain ones though. :D I've just never been a fan of lowering.

View attachment 310327
But... didn't it already have heated seats? Although this is one complaint I have with this car is the piss poor OEM heated seats, so I can understand wanting to upgrade them. Or did you start with ther base trim and it didn't have heated seats?
Link to the seats you used? Did you put buttons in too? Need more info! :D
It was a 'near base model' without factory heated seats. Sorry I don't know the brand. They're not as good as the factory ones and only have two settings - high and low. Plus the button is on the side of the seat so they're easy to accidentally leave on. Better than nothing but definitely inferior to the factory ones.

Attachments

• Heated Seat Button.jpg
    Heated Seat Button.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 89
CX9 CX5.jpg

Here's my answer to all those who think I've ruined my car lol. For family cruising we use the CX9 which is much softer and quieter. I have only 'ruined' that with bigger wheels, blacked out chrome, a K&N and tints. ;-)

IMG_DE393ABBF839-1.jpeg

The little CX5 as it sits today. The exhaust is a Racing Beat item and is about as loud as a stock 2022 MX5 I reckon. It does not drone at all on the motorway - the car is as quiet as stock. It has a deep sound at super low revs, then sounds normal, then makes a nice noise at the top end.
Looks wise it is slightly crooked, which is annoying but I am probably not going to fix it.

Intake.jpg

I tried a few things on the intake side before settling on this. A K&N panel filter made a bit more noise but the intake snorkel has about 3 mufflers in it. I actually got a turbo snorkel and tried to fit it but it didn't work. (the turbo snorkel has no mufflers)
I might still use the turbo snorkel to direct a bit of cool air onto this pod filter.
Overall I love it, the engine sounds a little like a Honda VTech now which to me is a good thing. It is possible louder than I wanted but overall I still love it.
I have never felt any extra power from intake mods before but low and behold you can actually feel about 7 more horsepower with this thing - maybe ten on the freeway once there's some cool air flow - there's also a tiny bit more torque. There is a noticeable step up in power at about 5k rpm and the noise changes markedly in the final 800 or so rpm - it gets quite feral up there lol.
I guess I do have the exhaust too so maybe it all adds a little more power - there is graph on the Corksport site which seems about right - there is more torque down low too which is quite surprising.
The only tale of woe with this one is I have an early '3 wire Maf' engine. So I don't have the updated software for this engine. The filter seems to aggravate a known issue with this engine below 2000 rpm and occasionally I get a CEL. If I had the updated software, this wouldn't be an issue, so I am currently still trying to get the update. I have posted another thread about this, the TSB is #: 01-015/19 and is clearly articulated on the Corksport website when buying this product, (and they've been very helpful) so I don't blame them at all just FYI...

I have no desire to take my CX5 GTR with nicely tuned suspension and totally destroy the ride, safety and look of the vehicle
Fair enough, Mazda's are amazing straight from the box - the best handling 'semi cheap' SUV's on the market by far. I loved the stock handling, but my daily commute is over a road that is regularly shut for hillclimbs - it is super twisty - with the new suspension the car is definitely more fun and now pulls away from my turbo CX9 much more easily once the road starts to twist and turn. I had a CX3 before this though and that was even better in stock form - a lot of fun for what it was.

Fair enough, Mazda's are amazing straight from the box - the best handling 'semi cheap' SUV's on the market by far. I loved the stock handling, but my daily commute is over a road that is regularly shut for hillclimbs - it is super twisty - with the new suspension the car is definitely more fun and now pulls away from my turbo CX9 much more easily once the road starts to twist and turn. I had a CX3 before this though and that was even better in stock form - a lot of fun for what it was.
Nice job. Looks really good lowered. Not for me but it does look great.

Going in the opposite direction myself . Going with 16 inch tires to improve/soften the ride and hopefully keep the tight handling.

Wanted to raise it for better offroad but my local mechanic said leave it alone. Trade it in and get a Jeep he says. But I don't want a jeep. Still might raise it a smidge.

Wanted to switch my suspension struts springs etc to get a softer ride but he said it will have minimal effect and waste of $$$ he says.
He said if want comfort, go get a caddy.

So we'll see what happens.

Smaller wheels will lead to tires with increased sidewall height. While it could definitely soften things it will not help with handling in any way and will more than likely make it feel a little looser. The tires will have more side roll so emergency maneuvers could be negatively affected. So tire selection will be an important factor to help with this. Softer suspension would again reduce the handling of the vehicle.

Back