Leaking water on front passenger side of car?

only time mine does that is after using the ac. which is normal

mine does it when it rains...I see water drIpping in, but can't find where it comes from. yeah i thought it might be that, but its been raining and I did not drive the car and I see water came in. Damn south florida cars!

Last edited:
I would take car of that since the ECU is under the passenger floor.. when mine leaked it was the seams under the windshield cowl that were bad. Simple fix.

And this simple fix you speak of...

I have had this ploblem for years that I thought I've fixed several times over :( until it comes down real hard

Hopefully without disconnecting airbags and taking out the dash... which is supposed to be my next step since I cant see s*** even after removing all the sound deadening and insulation up behind the dash as far as I could go.

I could imagine some severely cracked welds with the amount of torque my frontend has taken over the past 10yrs...

i had this happen to me also... although mine smelled like coolant... ended up being a leaking heater core

I would take car of that since the ECU is under the passenger floor.. when mine leaked it was the seams under the windshield cowl that were bad. Simple fix.

Yea I know that...now we are in rainy season here in South FL and I keep tabs on that. I never can get a car that does not leak ******* water this is my 3rd one in a row. I will look into the windshield cowl. I hope where it comes from its an easy fix.

When i first got my P5 6 yrs ago i had water on the passenger floor and the rear passenger seat was wet. when i was looking in the trunk to my surprise the whole where the spare tire goes was filled with water, I never found where the leak was coming from and the water never returned after that. Fast forward to a a couple months ago, i was getting the scissor jack out of the little compartment in the trunk, i dropped the jack as it was coming lose from the car and when i picked it up it was wet i got a flash light and noticed that there was a large amount of water in there. So im guessing when there is so much water in there it over flows and fills the trunk with water and proceeds on to the floor and the seat. So check that compartment in the trunk it may be coming from there.

When i first got my P5 6 yrs ago i had water on the passenger floor and the rear passenger seat was wet. when i was looking in the trunk to my surprise the whole where the spare tire goes was filled with water, I never found where the leak was coming from and the water never returned after that. Fast forward to a a couple months ago, i was getting the scissor jack out of the little compartment in the trunk, i dropped the jack as it was coming lose from the car and when i picked it up it was wet i got a flash light and noticed that there was a large amount of water in there. So im guessing when there is so much water in there it over flows and fills the trunk with water and proceeds on to the floor and the seat. So check that compartment in the trunk it may be coming from there.

what and it skips the back seat and goes to the front passenger seat.... we are talking about two completely different areas. what is causing your issue is one of the following.

1) your trunk seal is more then likely shot
2) that vent on the driver side under the bumper is known to leak
3) if your car has ever been slightly even love tapped in the back. remove the tail lights and check the body seams for leaks ( very common area in these cars)

what and it skips the back seat and goes to the front passenger seat.... we are talking about two completely different areas. what is causing your issue is one of the following.

1) your trunk seal is more then likely shot
2) that vent on the driver side under the bumper is known to leak
3) if your car has ever been slightly even love tapped in the back. remove the tail lights and check the body seams for leaks ( very common area in these cars)

No the whole floor on the passenger side gets wet front and back.

No the whole floor on the passenger side gets wet front and back.
you missed the point.... the front passenger footwell is no where near the trunk area of the car. The original poster would notice the entire floor soaked and the rear footwell area as well.. not to mention a strong oder of meldew

Pull your passenger tire off, and then pull the inner fender liner. There is a small drain that drains out the cowl from in front of the windshield. That gets plugged with all sorts of crud that falls on your car, and then in heavy rains, it fills up and drenches the interior. Or at least, thats what happened to me. If you search here, there should be a few good threads with pics. Pull the stuff off and blow out the drain with compressed air.

Other item could be the sunroof drain if you have one.

Pull your passenger tire off, and then pull the inner fender liner. There is a small drain that drains out the cowl from in front of the windshield. That gets plugged with all sorts of crud that falls on your car, and then in heavy rains, it fills up and drenches the interior. Or at least, thats what happened to me. If you search here, there should be a few good threads with pics. Pull the stuff off and blow out the drain with compressed air.

Thanks, ill have to take a look into that tomorrow if I get time after work. Never thought about a drain under the cowl but that makes perfect sense.

Was going to ask if you had a sunroof. You can also readjust your sunroof so that it can have a tighter seal. It's four screws (two on each side, would be prefect if you can have someone else tighten them while you check for cracks or to see if the glass is uneven), don't screw them all the way out (unless you want to take the glass out), either push up or down in one corner to get the desired level, tighten screw, move to the next one , and repeat.

Helped me when I kept hearing wind coming through the sunroof.

Was going to ask if you had a sunroof. You can also readjust your sunroof so that it can have a tighter seal. It's four screws (two on each side, would be prefect if you can have someone else tighten them while you check for cracks or to see if the glass is uneven), don't screw them all the way out (unless you want to take the glass out), either push up or down in one corner to get the desired level, tighten screw, move to the next one , and repeat.

Helped me when I kept hearing wind coming through the sunroof.

Yeah I dont have the sunroof though thank God I love them, but then dont like when they go bad (had a 240 with one)

Man thanks alot I will check that out!!! I hope thats what the problem is because its rainy season and everyday I lift the carpet up and protect the ECU and drop towels so the water does not much damage.

What is this plug..?

SAM_0240.jpg

a sprayed water over the cowl and here are the drains that i noticed. I didnt have time to check inside the car

SAM_0238.jpg

SAM_0237.jpg

Back