Lame stock foglights? Here's an upgrade!

BenjiHoggi

OEM+
:
Oregon, USA
:
22v Protege5
I feel somewhat obligated to provide this Disclaimer: These modifications are not necessarily road legal and should be done with that in mind. I take no responsibility for mods made to your own car. Please be responsible and use common sense!

Are your stock Protege5 foglights lame?? (yes, just say yes.) Are you interested in greater light output and more available ways to blind people on the road??
I'd like to provide a suggestion for an alternative aftermarket option that I've personally installed and (somewhat) tested, and believe to be a fairly decent upgrade.

My goal is to make this modification reproducible (to some degree), as well as to explain and justify my process in somewhat of a scientific approach, so I've broken up my work into sections which I will share below in a separate post (hopefully soon).
TL : DR - If the explanation bores you and you want to skip to the fun stuff, please do so! I've added some pictures below and will add more in the (future) results section below.

It's a little hard to accurately and comparatively capture light output in photos with autoexposure on a smartphone, but here ya go. Better pictures to come.

PXL_20230214_045941567_2.jpg

PXL_20230222_031253337.jpg

PXL_20230214_050403756.jpg

Highbeams vs "foglights:"

PXL_20230214_050102185.jpg

PXL_20230214_050109142.jpg

Speaking of fogs, I saw this video this evening and I was trying to figure out if the silver hatch was a P5. I think it was, in part because it did have fogs... If so, anyone we know out in Altadena, CA? :)
https://youtu.be/SWgWaNp3sh0?t=75

If I lived out in the sticks, I'd definitely consider a flame-thrower fog light upgrade and only use it when necessary.

is it about color or LED upgrade that is illegal? Also, when you switch to LED lights, do you have to make any changes to power lines/fuses etc? Does it increase load on electrical system if I were to switch my headlights?

Also, is orange color fog light preferred because it works better in fog or more of a visual preference?

Speaking of fogs, I saw this video this evening and I was trying to figure out if the silver hatch was a P5. I think it was, in part because it did have fogs... If so, anyone we know out in Altadena, CA? :)
https://youtu.be/SWgWaNp3sh0?t=75

If I lived out in the sticks, I'd definitely consider a flame-thrower fog light upgrade and only use it when necessary.
Definitely a silver P5.

is it about color or LED upgrade that is illegal? Also, when you switch to LED lights, do you have to make any changes to power lines/fuses etc? Does it increase load on electrical system if I were to switch my headlights?

Also, is orange color fog light preferred because it works better in fog or more of a visual preference?
The color is actually legal I believe. I haven't taken the time to review the law in my state though which is why I keep the fog light covers on 90% of the time so nobody suspects.

The actual upgrade is definitely not legal, but mainly because the lights just aren't DOT approved. In general lighting or headlight modifications seem to be frowned upon in most or all states. So I just try to be smart and only use them when I'm not going to attract unwanted attention. Like driving over a mountain pass at 2am 😁

I didn't modify the stock wiring at all, except if you count snipping off the connectors for my old fog lights to make adapters from the stock fog light plug to the plug for the new lights. If you want to keep your stock fog lights, you will need to cut off the stock plug on the harness and solder on the new plug, or go to a junkyard and find some old stock fog lights to steal connectors from and make adapters like I did.

The stock fog lights (if I remember correctly) draw 50W each. These lights draw almost exactly 50W as well, so load won't be an issue.

The color was half novelty and half function - I don't remember the exact logic for it, but the amber color is better for visibility, especially in fog and snow. I haven't tried the lights in fog (and don't expect them to be great because they are so bright) but the color does help with white-out blizzard conditions actually.

If you (or others) are looking to do this modification, I can definitely finish my write-up. I was starting to write it, and it addresses all of the questions you asked here. I got half way into it and then hit a curb in the snow in my P5 which put this post on the back burner until now. But let me know and I can try to get that posted. The lights are still holding up well so for the price at least, I think this is a good upgrade.

Okay, finally doing a bit of a write-up on how I got these lights in. I'm going to break this down into a few sections, so feel free to skip around to whatever interests you. This was definitely a first prototype for the mounting solution so I didn't go too into detail about what all is needed, but I am hoping to go back in and do it a little better this summer. Please respond here or send me a message if you have questions.

My Personal Requirements
  1. Reasonable price (<$100 for both)
  2. LEDs for lower power consumption and because duh it's 2023
  3. Better light output compared to stock fogs
  4. Beam pattern doesn't need to be "fog", can be spot or flood light
  5. Legality wasn't too important as I wasn't going to use them on anything other than empty rural roads
  6. Decent looking cosmetically
  7. Plug and play, or at least as close as possible - don't want to modify anything on the car if possible.
  8. Somewhat decent quality so that it lasts a while, preferably as noted in good reviews.
Lighting choice
I spent a lot of time browsing amazon and thinking about dimensions and sizing to see what would be the closest fit to stock. I ended up going with the following option on Amazon, which costed me $66.88:https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

At first glance, the brand is weird. But the reviews are positive and for the price, I took the gamble.
It's also worth mentioning that these are amber colored, but I believe only based on the lenses. On the same listing page, they have a white 6000K version for...weirdly...$77.99. I would have taken either, but I felt that amber was fine and was cheaper. The two versions seem to be identical other than the lenses, but I can't confirm this for sure.

Initial thoughts and Analysis
My initial impressions were really good. They came packaged well in foam cutouts and with individually bagged mounting hardware. There are connectors included in the box that have bare wire ends so that they can be soldered. Also included were some black plastic covers, which display the only branding on the products. Shown below is what the back looks like - more later.

PXL_20230214_025609716_crop.jpg

The lights themselves are quite nice. They are fairly hefty and seem to be fairly well built. My only qualm was that the lenses seem to be made of plastic and don't look like they'd hold up well to rock chips.

As for mounting, I knew the mounts wouldn't be the same and would require modification or some kind of adapter bracket. But I chose them because they were somewhat similar.

PXL_20230213_203935517.jpg

I hooked the lights up to my benchtop power supply to measure power draw and compare to the claims on their product description.

PXL_20230214_003121115.jpg

At 14v, a single light draws 3.51A, which puts the total power draw right about 49W, which is far off the quoted 80W per light, but is actually right in line with that the stock P5 fogs are spec'ed for. The light seems to be power limited to right about 50W, regardless of what voltage is supplied (up to 24v). This essentially voids any concerns about the stock wiring being insufficient. The lights are very bright so I'm not too concerned with their claims being incorrect.

Install & Wiring
I Initially tried to angle-grind one of the included brackets to get the light to fit, but the mounting hole on the light puts it very low in the hole in the bumper and points it upwards. So I designed a bracket and 3D printed it to test-fit. It uses the stock foglight mounting bracket with the welded nuts.

PXL_20230214_032940826.jpg

The bracket is symmetrical and can be printed four times, two for each light. Just print them on their sides and use supports in the holes like is shown above. I think they each took about an hour on my Ender 3.

PXL_20230214_021613303.jpg

I installed everything and torqued the bolts down pretty tight. I was worried that the plastic would be too weak and brittle, but I did print it with a 100% infill, and it actually ended up being pretty sturdy.

NOW...I have to provide a disclaimer here. It may or may not be obvious but this bracket has a big issue. I printed it in PLA, which has a fairly low temperature softening point. The plastic bracket is bolted to the metal mount of the light, which also acts as a heatsink and gets warm. So I want to be clear here, this is not a permanent solution. In my application, I don't run these lights for hours on end and I live in a fairly cold climate, so this is only a temporary solution for me, and should probably only be used as a prototyping step for anyone wanting to replicate.

I don't immediately have the resources to get these made out of metal, so I may personally just experiment with high-temp resistant filament. But I'd definitively recommend making something like this out of metal.

As for mounting to the car, after bolting everything together and test-fitting, this is how I angled everything so that the lights were pointed slightly down and were centered. It looks weird but ends up working well. I once again checked that the bolts were torqued very tight, as those two small plastic brackets are small and the light is comparatively heavy. Once installed, the lights were very solidly mounted.

PXL_20230214_033725705.jpg

Wiring
As mentioned previously, the kit includes bare end connectors. I wasn't going to keep my old foglights so I snipped the connectors off of them and went ahead and just made some plug-and-play adapters from the stock wiring in the bumper to these lights. This leaves a lot of extra wire length to deal with but keeps everything reversable.

One very odd quirk I found was that for some reason, the polarity of the connectors on the P5 was backwards. So initially, connecting Red-Red, Black-Black did not work. I reversed the polarity and it worked. Don't know why, but if you do this on your P5, probe the connectors in the bumper and make sure you get it right.

PXL_20230214_014846941.jpg

Realizing something wasn't right and re-soldering backwards (eww it just looks wrong!)

PXL_20230214_021956590.jpg

Finished product:

PXL_20230214_015053395.jpg

Once installed and plugged in, the lights work as you'd expect the P5 fog lights to operate.

Covers

Small thing, but I put some black matte vinyl over the front of the plastic covers. I keep them on when I am not using the lights to avoid rock chips, and the logos on them look atrocious. My wrap job was not great, but does the job.

PXL_20230214_031642415_crop.jpg

Improvements
  • I have done the foglight mod on my P5 so I can use them even with the headlights off. If you haven't done this at a minimum, I'd recommend it.
  • I am looking into how I might connect the fog lights to the high-beams, with a secondary foglight switch as an enable-disable switch for this feature. In my experience driving with these lights, they are far too bright to drive with others on the road, but it can be challenging to quickly search for and press the foglight button. So being able to use them independently and also with the high-beam switch would be great.
  • Proper mounting brackets - the STL download for my part is listed down below, and I can also share it in other forms if desired.
Bracket Mount link: foglight_bracket.stl

And some other pictures
Sorry these aren't great but I'll try to get more soon. You'll have to trust me when I say these lights are an absolutely phenomenal upgrade for late night (early morning) or very rural drives or even in blizzard white-out conditions.

PXL_20230217_074733270.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

Side profile. They fit fairly well...not as well as stock but decent. They do sit further forward, but not enough that I personally believe that they look bad.

PXL_20230302_041752345.jpg

Edits: requirements, grammar, 3D printer settings

Last edited:
More pictures: These images are while sitting stationary on a long farm road. I locked the exposure to my gauge cluster so I believe these should be fairly true to life. The order of the photos are:
  1. Low beams - retrofitted with no-name 55W HID projectors with very foggy lenses
  2. High beams - stock halogen beams along with HIDs
  3. Fog lights plus low beams
PXL_20230424_043929304.jpg

PXL_20230424_043935804.jpg

PXL_20230424_043941032.jpg

I'll leave it at that. These lights have been great so far. Let me know if you have questions.

I just retrofitted the white fogs into mine and bent the stock mount to fit. works great and with the covers on they look like they came with the car! I bought some led hi and lo beams to go with and now i can fight back the lifted trucks around here :)

I just retrofitted the white fogs into mine and bent the stock mount to fit. works great and with the covers on they look like they came with the car! I bought some led hi and lo beams to go with and now i can fight back the lifted trucks around here :)
Hey that's cool! You should post some pictures if you get a chance.

Do you know if I can wire the fogs to work while my high beams are on? it would be cool to have all 3 of my lights on back roads because the elk around here will annihilate my car
Still working on that alas...
I had a thread open for it some time ago but I've just gotten used to pressing the fog light button and will probably stick with that, since the wiring to connect to the high beams seemed a little complicated on initial inspection.

Back