KW Helper Spring Question

RichB

:
2007 Cosmic Blue Mazdaspeed 3 GT
I have KW V1 coilovers and I was wondering if anyone has their helper springs located on top of the main spring directly under the strut bearing?

I ask because I think the perch between the helper spring and the main spring is interfereing with the top portion of the threated shock body. I hear light clunking from the drivers side when I am driving at low speeds and I hit light bumps.

To date I have replaced the front sway bar bushings, Front end links, and drivers side LCA Ball joint. With all of that, the noise is still there.

Is it possible to relocate the helper spring?

I know the helper spring is supposed to be on bottom but I wanted to see if anyone knew if it was possible to move it up.

I found out on my own last night though. I tried to move the helper spring to the top and it would work except for the dust shield. The dust shield would not fit through the center of the spring separator.

As a result, I took a dremel to the inside of the spring separator to get some material out of there to see if that would help. It helped a little but I still hear a light clunking on slow bumps. Normal speeds and highway speeds I hear nothing.

I'm thinking that this is just a tolerance thing with the spring separator and the shock body. This is just one of the things you have to live with when you have coilovers I guess.

Back