Koni Yellow+Tien

Modal

:
2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
Just got my car around two weeks ago.
Previous owner said he put Koni Yellows and Tien lowering springs. The yellows are set to full stuff I'm pretty certain.
kvCJEOGl.jpg

Cars too low for me, and the ride is pretty uncomfortable since the roads aren't all too perfect where I live. I like the responsiveness and the look, but I get tire rub if I make a hard left. And I'm afraid of damaging s*** every time I hit a pothole or crack or speed bump. As you can see there's like no wheel gap in the front. I've heard nothing but good things about Koni Yellows so I'm going to keep them. But I might set it to softer, so the ride is a bit more enjoyable. I don't plan on tracking anytime soon.
I'm looking into new springs? I'm guessing that will fix my issues of the ride being too stiff, and the lack of wheel gap. Originally I was going to H&R's but after some research I don't really think that's what I'm looking for.

While i'm not sure of the exact spec's for 3's, as i have a p5, most manufacturer's use similar designs through out their product lines...

From your description, it seems you'd be happier with a lowering spring that has a progressive spring rate...I'm pretty sure all Tein springs (as well as some H&R performance lines) are fixed rate springs...

the difference is pretty straight forward...a fixed rate spring takes a specific amount of force to compress throughout its travel...just a made up example would be a 300lb/inch rate spring would take 300lb's to compress one inch, 600 lbs to compress 2 inches, etc...

on the other hand, a progressive spring uses a design that incorporates a rate 'multiplier', where the force to compress the spring goes up exponentially with travel...Most makers do not post progressive rates, or at least without any unity...but that isn't all that relevant, its just funadmentally a progressive spring will take more and more force to compress with more travel...meaning...small bumps will be very soft and compliant...big bumps and/or hard cornering will travel enough to make the spring much stiffer...

progressive springs are usually regarded as the best option for normal road use...while fixed rates are usually used in racing spec systems, as they are much easier to dial in for a given race track surface...

so i'd start with that when searching...progressive vs fixed rates are usually posted with the spring's specs...Eibach has always used progressive springs for their street car options, and many others...you'll have plenty of options for a better ride, but keep most of the look of what you currently have...

Just got my car around two weeks ago.
Previous owner said he put Koni Yellows and Tien lowering springs. The yellows are set to full stuff I'm pretty certain.
kvCJEOGl.jpg

Cars too low for me, and the ride is pretty uncomfortable since the roads aren't all too perfect where I live. I like the responsiveness and the look, but I get tire rub if I make a hard left. And I'm afraid of damaging s*** every time I hit a pothole or crack or speed bump. As you can see there's like no wheel gap in the front. I've heard nothing but good things about Koni Yellows so I'm going to keep them. But I might set it to softer, so the ride is a bit more enjoyable. I don't plan on tracking anytime soon.
I'm looking into new springs? I'm guessing that will fix my issues of the ride being too stiff, and the lack of wheel gap. Originally I was going to H&R's but after some research I don't really think that's what I'm looking for.

For God's sake--SOFTEN THE SHOCKS! I've had them on full hard and if I drove too long, I'd lose my fillings! It's also not good for them to EVER be on full stiff. I'd say do what most Hondas do and that is to go full soft in the front and about 3/4 stiff in the rear. That will help some with the push.

Not sure about springs, though.

Yeah I'm going to soften them up when I get the new springs. I was originally thinking about getting H&Rs but I read some reviews of people saying they weren't that comfortable. So I'm not sure. But they do have a nicer drop than Eibachs. I'll have to do some more research.

I'm sure there are people here running both set ups.
Can anyone chime in about comfort?

Back