knock / detonation sensor

mazdaspeeeeed

:
MSP 2003.5
is leaking oil... for reference this is the sensor a few inches above the oil filter on the back of the block. I see a bit of oil drip on the black cable that connects to the silver bolt. there is also some black goopy stuff on it.

can i just take this sensor out and fix the leak then put it back on?

or do i have to buy a new one... (140 bucks at napa)

I think you are talking about the oil pressure sender. That is above the oil filter and a hair to the right. You can take it out, apply some thread sealent(make sure sealant is oil proof) and reinstall. Let the sealant dry for a few hours then start car.

Ive seen ppl on here calling it the oil pressure sender but the guy at napa looked it up and showed me a picture and it matched perfectly as the knock sensor....

I think you are talking about the oil pressure sender. That is above the oil filter and a hair to the right. You can take it out, apply some thread sealent(make sure sealant is oil proof) and reinstall. Let the sealant dry for a few hours then start car.

Ive been reading up on this and it seems that when oil starts leaking it is best to just buy a new sensor.... can anyone disagree with this? I would rather save the 140 bucks and just silicone the leak, but I also want to be smart about it..

Is there anything else i need to do to replace this guy? drain the oil? coolant? ive been reading different things everywhere and i just want to be sure..

If its what SIBalla23 is contending then what do you have to lose by taking it out, dabbing on some sealant and threading it back it. If you do it after the car has been sitting for a while or better yet overnight most of the oil will be in the oil pan and filter. At best a few drops may come out when you pull the sensor out. No need to drain the oil or coolant.

Now I've seen leaks from the oil cooler bolt being loose threads but this is the first for the oil pressure sender switch.

maybe i followed the wrong line out to the valve cover and thats why im thinking it is the knock sensor... i'll look into this. Im going to have to drain the oil just to get to it though since the oil filter is in the way

I have a leak there as well.

It's the oil pressure switch. $8 at Orileys.

FYI, you don't need to drain the oil to remove the oil filter.

But it seems like as good of a time as any to do an oil change as long as you're down there I suppose.

Yea you will just loose whats in the oil filter. Just make sure the engine is cold. Just get some permatex thread sealant, make sure its oil proof and can withstand a high temp. Cover the threads and install. Let it dry for a few hours before you go driving again. Trust me, it will fix it.

Back