keyless entry

rjg08cx9

I have a question concerning the keyless entry system on my 08 cx-9 GT. I have the key pad with me, can lock the door with the button on the door handle and I am sitting here at work upstairs with my car about 50' away. Can someone push that button open my car and try to drive away, I know the car will shut off as I have the key pad with me but I don't like the idea that someone can try and steal it. Can this happen and is there something I can do to prevent someone from opening the car while it's locked. This is my first day at work with it. Thanks.

I have a question concerning the keyless entry system on my 08 cx-9 GT. I have the key pad with me, can lock the door with the button on the door handle and I am sitting here at work upstairs with my car about 50' away. Can someone push that button open my car and try to drive away, I know the car will shut off as I have the key pad with me but I don't like the idea that someone can try and steal it. Can this happen and is there something I can do to prevent someone from opening the car while it's locked. This is my first day at work with it. Thanks.

The system uses a proximity sensor. You must be standing near the driver, passenger or rear hatch door for the sensor to identify you standing there with the key entry system before it will allow you to unlock the doors. Even standing a few feet away from the door, the doors will not unlock if you press the button. Nor would the car start unless the key foble is inside the car.

Try it out yourself. Leave your key in the office and walk down to the car and press the button. It will not open.

I assume that you have the Smart Start and Entry System (SmartKey for short).
The system works like this... (short version)
There are external sensors inside the left front door, right front door and the hatch.
By comparing signal strength of those three sensors, the ECU (central unit) is able to determine where you (w/ key) are located. The sensor range is only about 3ft.
Once the code is confirmed, the ECU allows you to hit the tiny black pad to lock/unlock the door. Next, there are four internal sensors located inside the cabin. Similarly, the ECU can determine where the key is located. Based on that info, the ECU can allow you to hit the start button or not. The system is called "smart" in contrast to traditional keyless entry.

There is also an "autolock" feature that was not turned on from factory.
This feature allows you to simply walk away from vehicle after exit. It will lock itself after you (with 3 secs if away, 30 secs if you stick around within proximity). You will hear a beep for confirmation so that there is no mistake. Very cool.
Have your dealer turn it on for free for you.

There is also an "autolock" feature that was not turned on from factory.
This feature allows you to simply walk away from vehicle after exit. It will lock itself after you (with 3 secs if away, 30 secs if you stick around within proximity). You will hear a beep for confirmation so that there is no mistake. Very cool.
Have your dealer turn it on for free for you.

Sounds like a neat feature - I might need to enable it for my wife (she's never been too keen on locking her car).

One question I have, similar to the topic at hand, is related to keyless entry, using the fob to unlock the car and then enter it some time later.

Over Christmas, I was at my parent's house, and needed to put something into the car. I picked up my keys, pressed unlock (saw the lights flash, indicating that my request was accepted) and then gathered up all the stuff I needed to carry out. As I was walking out, leaving the keys inside, I heard an audible (thunk) of the doors locking. First, I thought I imagined it, walked up to the car and pulled the handle... sure enough it was locked.

What happened? Does it have a predetermined amount of time that you must open the door prior to it relocking itself for safety? It did the same thing when we were at church that same weekend, unlocked it from afar, but sat around talking and the car was locked when we approached.

Do you think we might already have this feature enabled, or is what I'm experiencing something different?

My VW did that too. If you unlocked the door with the remote but never opened it, after about 30 seconds it would lock itself. Sounds like the mazda does something similar.

Nice to know that, just tried it and it worked, couldn't open the door. When I bring the car in for its 1500 mile service I'll have them turn that autolock on, wife has a problem locking the car as well.

Back