Key stuck between OFF and ACC

:
'12 cx-9 gt
My wife went somewhere yesterday and was turning off the car when she says the key stopped between OFF and ACC. She tried turning the engine back on but no dice, the lights lit but no crank. The key would turn forward toward START but when she turned it back towards OFF, it would not go past between ACC and OFF. She said she tried the the actual key, didn't work, she pushed the key all the way in, didn't work, pressed the brakes, didn't work. She did say that she was able to push past the mid-point between the ACC and OFF, enough to turn the car off at least, went about her business, then came back and boom, it started....

So this post is both an FYI as well as a question. The question obviously is, what gives!? The FYI part would be what worked for her but still a bit annoying.. good thing the kids weren't with her.. The car is still under warranty so I may take it down to the dealer. Perhaps she moved the steering wheel when she came back but I haven't seen anything like that being a problem on a car in recent recent memory. Perhaps the car needed 15 mins to "clear" itself after shutting off. Thankfully, it hasn't been a problem since then.

Anyway, if anyone has some insights, would be appreciated.

thanks for the feedback.

Was the car in park? Dunno but I highly doubt she remembers and will probably get the "why wouldn't it be in park!?" or "I didn't do anything!".

Was the steering wheel locked? Again, dunno but I'm thinking this would be the likeliest. She may have moved the steering wheel as she was coming back in to the car which may have solved her own problem.

At this point, it's been three days and no recurrences so since going to the dealer is a bit out of the way for me, I'll give her a checklist of what things to do the next time. At the very least I'll have a checklist of my own if she calls with any trouble. But we'll see if it happens again.

thanks for the heads up. It makes me believe the steering wheel locked.
Glad the issue is resolved for you guys.

Something similar happened to me once. I couldn't turn the car fully off (stuck between ACC and OFF as well). It was b/c something had prevented the shifter from going the last 1/8 inch fully into Park. It looked like it was in Park, until I noticed something was slightly blocking the shifter (I forget what it was, but it might have been my iPhone charging cable). I removed the obstacle and the shifter went the last 1/8" and I was able to fully turn the plastic key knob to OFF.

Back