"Key" Light no (not flashing)

Ok,
I look thru the forum, and did not see this issue. I have a 2007 CX-9 GT. This happends with both smart cards. When I attempt to press the button on the handle, nothing happends at all (DEAD). I press the unlock button on the Smart card, it OPENS the door. When I get in the car with the SmartCard, the Key Light on the car is on (not flashing). I can start the car and drive away. Get out of the car, I can not lock the door with the button on the handle, I can only lock it from the smart card.

Yes, I've change the batteries, yes, I have tried both remotes.

Anyone have any Ideas???

Last edited:
I have similar issues when my smartkey is in the same pocket as my IPhone. Button on door hanles won't activate if they are together. Any chance you have a similar situation with proximity of another device causing interference?

If it was just one button, I was thinking a proximity sensor went out, but that is clearly not the case. And as you say your smartcards are working just fine, I have no idea man.

I have similar issues when my smartkey is in the same pocket as my IPhone. Button on door hanles won't activate if they are together. Any chance you have a similar situation with proximity of another device causing interference?

It's been working forever.. this is the first time I've had this issue... I've had this phone (Verizon fascinate) for over 1.5 years.

I think the proximity sensor inside the driver's side door went bad.
Can you unlock doors on the passenger side or at the hatch?

Can you open other door and hatch other than the driver-side one
with the smartkey? Have you tried the other keycard?

I cannot open any door or hatch using the rubber buttons with passkey in pocket. I tried my second passcard and get the same issue and key light lit for it too. I can open the doors using the passcard and start the car though using the passcard.

Last edited:
I thought the "KEY" on light might have had something to do with the speaker work on my driverside door I did 2 weeks ago, so I removed the door panel. They key light stays on and the car will not autolock, and when I press the black rubber buttons on all the doors, the passkey red light blinks, but doors will not lock without using the buttons on the remote. I subsequently replaced the door panel.

When I shut the doors the passkey communicates with the car, but doors will not auto lock nor do I get the beep that I used to get letting me know that the doors will soon lock. If I leave the ingnition on and walk away from the car the car will beep. If I leave the ignition on and shut the door the car will beep. I am able to start the car with the FOB near the ignition. I have tried both FOBs and get the same response. I have removed every single fuse and checked them and they are all good. I cannot find which fuse/relay belongs to this sensor feature.

Has anyone had luck fixing this? I have replaced both FOB batteries and have removed the battery power from the car at least 3 separate time to see if I can reset the autolock feature, but nothing works. All doors and hatch have the same results.

Same thing here. And I had new remotes and a new RKE module put in less than a year ago. Help!

OK. If both your cardkeys fail to open the doors (any doors), but you are able to start engine w/o inserting key,
that could only be one possibility: the ECU is broken. It is unlikely that all sensors failed together, and both cards
failed together also. Something is wrong with the ECU that communicates with door sensors. You would be dealer's
diagnostic handheld computer to dig in more.

Do you think an OBD reader would spit out a code. Neighbor has one and I am thinking on trying it. All I should have to do is plug it in and turn on the car correct?

Brought the car to a service department and they isolated it to an antenna. The part is on order and will be here in 10 or so days. Hopefully that solves the issue.

Part arrived and brought the car back to the service department. They replaced the keyless entry antenna located at the hitch. Key light went away and the system works like it should again. So happy!!!!!!!!!!

I would bet that in areas near salt water or in areas with a good amount of plowing and road salting that these units will go bad on cars that drive in these areas, being that it is pretty exposed to the outside elements. I believe all the other antennas are shielded from direct contact with road spray/grime.

Back