K&N Air Filter

Dino1956

The guy who I bought my car from had the K&N Air Filter. The one you clean with a special Solution & then coat with oil. It's suppose to last forever I hear. Well the dealership told me it was dirty. I don't have the solution or oil to clean it with. I'm wondering is this filter all it's cracked up to be ? What am I gaining by using it instead of a disposable Filter ? People say better gas mileage & horsepower. Is all this hype true ? I want to find out before getting all the solutions & oil for the K&N Filter. Thanks in advance.

Do you have an aftermarket intake, or is this just a drop in filter?

The big differnce is that the synthetic material along with the oil will trap smaller particles of dirt than conventional filter, while at the same time flowing more air. More air=more power. Yes it will produce more power, but only 1-3 hp, so you won't notice. The cleaning kit is about 15 dollars and I just cleaned mine for the first time. It will actually cost less in the long run. After initial filter and cleaning agent purchase, you've spent about $55. With conventional filters costin 9-12 a pop, you'd only have to buy 5 filters to equal your HIGH PERFORMANCE K&N filter.

they do last forever but you do need to clean them (they are reusable instead of disposable) It will only take about 15 minutes and it's definitely worth it.

mgs_freak said:

The big differnce is that the synthetic material along with the oil will trap smaller particles of dirt than conventional filter, while at the same time flowing more air. More air=more power. Yes it will produce more power, but only 1-3 hp, so you won't notice. The cleaning kit is about 15 dollars and I just cleaned mine for the first time. It will actually cost less in the long run. After initial filter and cleaning agent purchase, you've spent about $55. With conventional filters costin 9-12 a pop, you'd only have to buy 5 filters to equal your HIGH PERFORMANCE K&N filter.
Yea I bought the kit & cleaned mine. Pretty involved process. How often do you clean yours ?

mgs_freak said:

Oh btw, No after market. It's Drop In.

Just buy the recharge kit at autozone, etc... wherever the filter is sold. Follow the simple instructions.

Dino1956 said:
Yea I bought the kit & cleaned mine. Pretty involved process. How often do you clean yours ?

I'd like to do it once in the fall, before the snow comes down and the city starts to spread sand. Then once in the spring, once the city stops sanding. The filter gets extremely dirty in most places because of the winter weather. However, I don't drive much, so I just waited till spring (approx 10000 miles on filter).

Dino1956 said:
Oh btw, No after market. It's Drop In.

Drop in filters are very easy to check. Just pull it out and hold it up to a light. If you can see light coming through it, no need to clean. A dirty filter cleans better than a clean filter. Just don't go so far as to impede air flow.

Back