Just moved to CA and need some parts help!

inspekt

:
2012 Mazda2 Touring MT, 2003 Protege5 MT
Hi Everyone!

So, I have an interesting problem now. I moved to California and my car was rejected by smog because the intake and exhaust are not CA legal. Anyone out there looking to get rid of their factory intake or exhaust for a reasonable price? I would even be willing to do a straight trade for my CS exhaust for your factory exhaust since I'll have no use for it any longer. Same for the intake. I have the cold air duct as well. Please let me know asap as I have the DMV suddenly breathing down my neck.

(This is a duplicate post from my thread, my apologies, just hoping to get visibility)

Please PM if interested.

Thanks everyone!!

Ouch, i was hoping they wouldn't bother to look under the car. I guess i can look forward to that in 2 years, but i think it was mostly that you had an out of state car. They probably are more stringent and by the book for first time registration inspection vs smog just for renewal.

I would suggest searching pick and pulls locally for the intake parts, but since our car is pretty rare it may take some luck.
Depending on where you are in CA i can loan you my stock exhaust, and the intake parts i suppose, pretty sure you would only need the elbow/snorkel?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I'm working on an option now. And yeah, I think definitely because I'm an out of state car. I think I just unluckily chose the wrong smog shop to go to.

In a stroke of actual luck, I found my stock intake parts, which I was sure I had given away, so hopefully I have everything I need to get it switched over. Apparently, another smog shop guy told me, the exhaust should actually be fine since it is cat-back. We'll see...

Ouch, i was hoping they wouldn't bother to look under the car. I guess i can look forward to that in 2 years, but i think it was mostly that you had an out of state car. They probably are more stringent and by the book for first time registration inspection vs smog just for renewal.

I would suggest searching pick and pulls locally for the intake parts, but since our car is pretty rare it may take some luck.
Depending on where you are in CA i can loan you my stock exhaust, and the intake parts i suppose, pretty sure you would only need the elbow/snorkel?

If you did not get the race pipe then you will be find once you get the stock intake on.

Smog only cares about emissions equipment and check engine lights.

Yes. Swapped factory intake back on. That passed fine of course, but exhaust failed. Even though it is a "cat-back" it does actually remove a second cat called the warm up cat. I was not aware of that which = fail a second time. Our cars are too new for an aftermarket cat to be available, so I'm stuck trying to source an OEM exhaust for this car.

Yea they'll reject just based on the visual when they see the intake

Back