Just had some warranty work done

Murray

Contributor
:
Titanium MSP
This is the first real problem I've had with my 3 and something the dealer just told my wife set off my BS warning so I thought I'd ask around here to see what's up. It's a 2004 3i.

The problem was that in a matter of about 1-2 days, the brake and air bag warning lights came on (and stayed on), the in-dash turn signal indicators stopped working (but the turn signals still worked), and the AC stopped blowing cold (it blew, just never cooled off).

The dealer had it for a couple of days (gave us a rental) and today told my wife that we need to dispose of all our old keys (we've only ever had the two OEM ones) because trying to use them would "blow the electrical system." They're giving us two replacement keys.

Now, I know these cars have special anti-theft keys (so you can't just copy them) but wtf is up with keys ruining things? I looked through the TSB archives and couldn't find anything that looked appropriate. Has anyone else heard of this?

was your car part of the original recall?? maybe they ****** something up when they put in the new sensor cover and where covering their arse???

I don't know about a recall. I never got a notice about that and they've never said anything about a recall to me.

What was it about?

I picked it up this aftrenoon and apparently the guy had to spend 12+ hours working on it. Among other things, the gauge cluster was replaced (imagine my shock to get in and notice 1 mile on the odometer!). He said something about a control module that failed and caused all the problems but I don't have any more details. They're supposed to mail me the final work order, etc. in a few days.

wow thats some crazy stuff.... if you didn't get a notice you are all set, it was for certian 2004 cars... the airbag sensor housing for the passenger side would crack and then water could get in and cause a short circuit.... good luck with it

uhhh they replace the cluster and now you have the wrong odometer reading?
isnt that illegal?
that is not a true representation of the mileage.

ZoomVT said:
uhhh they replace the cluster and now you have the wrong odometer reading?
isnt that illegal?
that is not a true representation of the mileage.

In the old days, they had to put a sticker near your VIN that said the gauge had been changed and what the original mileage was. Now they can usually access the odo and set your mileage forward for you.

As far as your problem, it sounds like your PJB took a crap. Mine did the same thing but the dealer refused to replace it because I had tapped into a power wire for my air horn relay.

Their story about the keys is utter :bs:

off topic: must be nice to be using your a/c already. :rolleyes:

goldwing2000 said:
In the old days, they had to put a sticker near your VIN that said the gauge had been changed and what the original mileage was. Now they can usually access the odo and set your mileage forward for you.
Well that would be nice ... much easier to follow the maintenance guide if the odometer reads right. They said the work order would have the original mileage on it so I figured I'd have to keep a copy of that filed away and refer to it for maintenance or selling it or whatever.
goldwing2000 said:
As far as your problem, it sounds like your PJB took a crap. Mine did the same thing but the dealer refused to replace it because I had tapped into a power wire for my air horn relay.
Wow, that really sucks. I can't imagine how much this job would've cost me if it was out of warranty. (shocked)

Yeah, I figured the key thing was a cover for something else but I couldn't understand why they'd think it's necessary. I mean, it was under warranty anyway ... why make up some story about it? I guess that leaves me with two area Mazda dealers with no credibility.

Already!? I've been using it since January! It's just too effing hot down here.(yupnope)

Murray said:
I can't imagine how much this job would've cost me if it was out of warranty.

About $1600.00 (if you don't have a hookup at FoMoCo).

Back